Thread: 750 and osr row spacings

Willscale

750 and osr row spacings

Hi

I asked this question a while back but I can't find the thread.

Basically my drill at 7.5" spacings is grinding the osr seed up a little (grass box drill - tiny flutes) when seeding at 1kg/acre on calibration. I don't want to broadcast or mix with slug pellets as it is too humid and showery down here all the time and pellets ground up last year in these conditions.

Just can someone re-affirm that it will be fine to block off every other and double the seed rate in 15" spacings or not? (8 outlets over 3m but not band spread obviously)

I know its not ideal and there could be a bit of crowding up the rows but apart from doing that I'm not sure what options I have a this late stage? I an attempt to fit an air box didn't work as hoped.

Answers asap please - mean to be starting at 6 tomorrow before it rains again

Ta

FarmerDan

Re: 750 and osr row spacings

Should be OK Will. We tend to sow with every other coulter on our old drill, which is a 10" spacing...

Last autumn we only had about one plant per square metre due to the drought and the stuff still yielded OK.

foxbox

I would think you will be ok, our rape goes in behind a cousins V form sub soiler and from memory the spacings are around 12 inches plus so I wouldn't think your row spacings will be too wide, ours yields better like this than when we used to drill it using conventional drill spacings.

Badshot

It'll be fine, you could go to 22.5" if you wanted to. Have grown rape in 28" bands (just dropped behind shakerator leg) and it done 2T/acre.

cotswoldcs

I'm considering doing something similar on our 3m (not 750) drill. I'd like to hear from others who have done it. Would very narrow spacings have a negative effect on yield? (I think our current drill has 24 outlets so 3m/ 24 - 12.5cm = < 5" !!!

shakerator

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    Hi

I asked this question a while back but I can't find the thread.

Basically my drill at 7.5" spacings is grinding the osr seed up a little (grass box drill - tiny flutes) when seeding at 1kg/acre on calibration. I don't want to broadcast or mix with slug pellets as it is too humid and showery down here all the time and pellets ground up last year in these conditions.

Just can someone re-affirm that it will be fine to block off every other and double the seed rate in 15" spacings or not? (8 outlets over 3m but not band spread obviously)

I know its not ideal and there could be a bit of crowding up the rows but apart from doing that I'm not sure what options I have a this late stage? I an attempt to fit an air box didn't work as hoped.

Answers asap please - mean to be starting at 6 tomorrow before it rains again

Ta

will

why not try some tiger 90 to mix, many do this for this sort of reason