Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvest 2012 daily update

Jim Bullock

Harvest 2012 daily update

We seem to have a number of threads discussing harvest 2012....but it would be interesting to know what people are up to on a day to day basis...
    I will start the ball rolling.....
    First combining today since last Sunday...12 acres..before the rain...Oakley 19.7% mc....Spec wt 61.5 kgs/hl before drying and cleaning...gross yield circa 3 tons/acre...probably 10%+ loss before going into store...We have now got 16% of our wheat area cut...not too good for the last day in August...2011 not only had we finished harvest by mid August but we had all the rape drilled by August 27th...

Wombat

Re: Harvest 2012 daily update

No combining since the 16th, bite test well over 20% this evening thought might get a try tomorrow, then another shower. Still 0% wheat cut.

einstein

couldnt get the moisture below 22% so decided not to go.Raining again now!last combining was on Tuesday-i think .Its all become a bit of a blur tbh!

jonnieboy

Last of the spring barley today 10 ac 25% , but it got done before tonights rain so at least the combine is home cleaned off ready for the wheat

MrNoo

Managed to get some Spring Barley cut this afternoon, 17.5-19%, ground is just horrible, like a big sponge, ruts everywhere. 3 loads and rain again stopped play. 120 acres of SB still to do, then finished!!

CORK

I know its a bit offbeat but i got 288 wheat plots cut since 2pm, only 408 to go tomorrow!

MC about 18%, yield - lets not go there! probably averaging about 3.2tn for the good varieties.

There are wheat crops over here averaging well below 3tn, full of fusarium and sprouts.

Spring barley yields are probably about 2.2-2.3 on average.

2012 is certainly balancing out for the record yields of 2011..... 4tn crops of s barley and wheat crops close to 6tn.

Grain just hasnt filled, there are kphs of 45 and 50 for barley and wheat respectively knocking about over here......

Spring oat and spring wheat look good.

Seat Right Back

nothing done for a week here , looking at the forecast Im going to chance my luck and not look at the combine till monday , land really needs another week to dry up to carry

yellow belly

last combineing tuesday 28 august luckily we missed the inch of rain on the 26 and 5mm on the 27 on the farm where the combine was so finishe wheat on that farm
    will now do the spring rape on that farm to save comming back hopefully tomorrow

15% wheat completed non below 17.8% sofar worse and later than any time since 1970s

sprayed beans off today what a variation within fields no particular pattern but drainage is a factor
    some parts green 5ft tall and look 3 t some black 3 inches and only one pod perplant

knockie

Got the last of our WB finished off this afternoon 15-16% moisture, quick change round and into 800 ac of rape, combine still going just now.
    Ta
    SD

cotswoldcs

Trying not to panic here. Not started wheat yet and with our small acreage going to wait for it to get below 17%. Should get our wheat cut in 3 good days. Our beans are really tall and hardly any black pods yet. If I spray there will be a lot of damage and loss on tramlines.

Hoping to get some OSR planted in the next few days. Decided to plough for a number of reasons and it's going to take a while to dry up.

Feel for all you guys with lots to do. Don't panic, there's 30 days in September and the rest of the year to come before 2013. Only 365 days till this time next year when we'll be basking in heat with 12t/ha of wheat all cut and in the shed @ 15%

pig fighter

Finished winter oats last Sunday and started wheat. Tried again today wheat at 26% and then rained! First cordiale coming in at just 2.5 tonnes/acre 260 Hag , 13.5 protein, 74kgHl dried.

Jon9000

Really wet here in the vale of york. Going to try tomorrow in some spring barley but think most fields really need at least 5 to6 days dry weather. Havnt cut anything since last tuesday when we cut fifty acres of spring barley.

Johndeere

Managed to cut 20 acres spring barley at Cirencester tonight until it rained, moisture was 15% which was a surprise, really needs to be off now. Had to cut a bank cross ways as the combine wouldn't go up the hill

peasantman

Only cut about 10 acres out of 100 acres of wheat and that was almost a fortnight ago now. Moisture 14%, 2.5 t/acre SW 60. (Early drilled too thick rubbish). Not been able to combine anything since then. Drilled the oilseed rape on Bank Holiday Monday on ploughed up grassland and the bit of wheat stubble. The rape is starting to come through but it has been seriously swilled by the heavy rain we have had this week, and it had preem herb so whether it comes to a decent stand is anyones guess.

The combine has never been so ready, but after a dry day today, we are back to light rain this evening. Wheat is breaking down a bit now, just to add to the problems and rooks are on it like a trampoline.. We are going to have to order some diesel for the drier and bite the bullet. Dad not known it this bad since 1954 when my uncle commented that the wheat they were harvesting in October "had been stood on one leg for a whole year".

The crofter

Cut some Optic last weekend, all lifted into co-op on Monday. 18% moisture, 14% screenings 2.5t dried weight. 20mm rain Monday. Nothing cut since. Neighbours cutting today @23.5% moisture to clear fields to get OSR in.

Today I was spraying post emerge Metazachlor/Hallmark Z + 2.5kg decoy wetex onto osr that was sown straight into WB stubble on 19th.

Contractor spraying R/up max onto last of Oakley and Baluga wheat today, but rained off.

Rest of the gang ploughing SB ground cleared last weekend with a veiw to sowing Catana start of the week. Too wet to plough and sow!

I was putting KV front fert hopper back together after replacing all bearings in feed unit. "I did spray oil/diesel on it Dad, honest"!

OSR all sold and away. 360-389 + bonuses 1.3t/ac cracker/catana.

Worst harvest here since 1985.

Dalers

Cut 33ac of S Barley for a mate flat and weedy then moved 5 miles and cut 10ac SB at home that I Round upped 3 weeks ago that was lovely.
    180 wheat and 90 SB left.

chalky

OSR 4T/Ha, cut 200 acres wheat, most looks like 4-5T in front of the knife, 2.5-3.1 T/ac dry over the weighbridge. Cant remember such a crap do since 1998 up north.Though, as farmers, all we do is harvest sunshine- if we dont get it, we shouldnt be too shocked!

1400 acres wheat left, 165 acres winter beans( which will be the only harvest highlight I think). Was hoping to resume sat after lunch- light rain friday night wasnt really part of the plan! Have loads of kero in stock at the dryer, until it dries up!

jonny1

Cut 33 acres of spring oats to-day ground conditions very poor as was the yield at 2.5 tons/acre.
    Will have another go at shit wheat tomorrow.

Spud

Cut an awkward 5ac stony field on its own on Wednesday at 21% to get it out the way. Most land untravellable, some even on foot. Got 40ac SB at a neighbours on some limestone that will go in a coupla days. Also 100ac wet straw to get dry, no great panic yet, its still august.......
    Got 250ac wheat, 90 sb and 50 spring beans left to do......and all the beet and taties......and a bit o drilling........and spraying......and a pig batch changing in about 3 weeks..........and fekin blight pressure is off the scale again.......oh yes and its raining....again!!! Very nearly 3 inch in the last week. Bobbins.

JCA

Nothing today, damp morning then light rain all afternoon. 500ac sb and 200 wheat still to go. like others, ground conditions are terrible and no worse feeling than when sun does finally come out and crop de-moistens enough to give it a go, the combine cant move.

tw15

Got 36 acres of wheat here to cut then 70 for a farm we cut for and another has just called us up to cut 80 acres for him so no more than 3 goodays will see it all done with the moving about .

Pheasant_plucker

Managed to do some w oats yesterday. They were coming in at 14.5 %.
    Day before they were 21%.
    Biggish pile but they are light as a feather. 46kg I think.
    Hopefully finish oats today, but just seen the weather, heavy drizzle tonight!,

sandersj89

Finished wheats last night at about 10:30pm. First cutting since last Sunday. Not gone over weighbridge yet but bushel weight low 70's and moisture around 18. The stuff we cut last Sunday was 23 though.

Yields better than I hoped, should be around the 3t mark if not more.

Will finish the spring barley today hopefully. What we have cut so far has been around 14% and bushel weights of 62. Yield matching wheats and masses of straw.

Fingers crossed for a few dry days to clear everything and get some rape in.

muppetdodger

We actually had a dry day yesterday - first for a long tiime. Still got acres to do mind! Let's hope the sun shines today again!

Wheats variable so far, especially second wheats. More to follow!

Derky

400 acres of wheat 150 acres of beans............... water laid up the tramlines moisture circa 24%.
    60 acres of OSR planted the rest has crops on it.

Right-arm fast

havent cut anything since last friday 24th. Will look again at lunch time today fingers crossed. Had a fair drop of rain on wednesday which really put everything back.

walter melon

700ac wheat left to cut, 80ac of linseed. Wheat testing at 24% but ground conditions are terrible. Getting pickups stuck in fields and we have to leave the header trailer in gateways as it won't travel on stubble.
    Cancelled osr sowing due to conditions.

Col the Ox

Not turned a wheel since last Friday. (24th August). Torrential rain last weekend, and yesterday was the first day with no rain for a week.

Tested wheat yesterday afternoon, 21.5 moisture. May go today if the cloud breaks. Need a few hours sun first, though.

So far, spring barley has been the pick of the crop.

About four or five fine days should see me done, if lucky.

Wombat

Grey and overcast not doing much after the damping last nite I think that's today out

redbaron

Have cut 40% of wheat here, but none since Fri 24th. Lowest sp wt 66kg. Lowest yield 3t/ac. Highest 3.75t/ac (and same variety as lowest...Viscount!). Cut half my dried peas in between showers last Sun to Tues. Pathetic yield...0.5 - 1t/ac. Tried more peas Weds, but rained off. Hope to resume today after great drying day y'day, but this morning it's calm and misty.