Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Harvest 2012 daily update

ivor_cornfield

Re: Harvest 2012 daily update

Does'nt take long to do our bit.

osr did 1.5

ww, averaged 2.5, with 3rd wheat on light land the best at 3 ton.

As last year was excellent I decided to do a 2 yr average, which worked out at 3.2 just to cheer us up slightly.

onwards and upwards!

Clive

Finally finished !

Wheat was out the way by Sunday - yields nothing to be pleased with really but for some reason I am happy, I think it's because they are not as bad as i'm hearing others locally are which makes me think we at least got something right we are going to be just over 3t average I think and at least 50% of it looks to have made milling spec - if the weather had been good pre harvest we would without doubt have been sat on record yields for us.

I would rather have 3t at 200-250 than 4t at 120 !!!

The last 100ac of oats took 2 combines 2 days thanks to stop start showers but kept coming in dry despite the wetting - yield nothing great circa 2.5t/ac and terrible bushel weight

OSR would have been the best crop this year had it not been for a 20min hail storm average would have been around 1.7t/ac but that storm destroyed the best 110ac pulling that down to closer 1.2t :cry:

not only the hardest harvest I have ever experienced but we did it with the worst combine I have ever experienced so that REALLY didn't make things any better, if Claas hadn't sent us a loan machine this last 2 weeks we would still have at least 500ac to cut ! service like that goes someway to redeeming their reputation with us but we will have to make big changes for next year i'm afraid

gone up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Finally finished !

Wheat was out the way by Sunday - yields nothing to be pleased with really but for some reason I am happy, I think it's because they are not as bad as i'm hearing others locally are which makes me think we at least got something right we are going to be just over 3t average I think and at least 50% of it looks to have made milling spec - if the weather had been good pre harvest we would without doubt have been sat on record yields for us.

I would rather have 3t at 200-250 than 4t at 120 !!!

The last 100ac of oats took 2 combines 2 days thanks to stop start showers but kept coming in dry despite the wetting - yield nothing great circa 2.5t/ac and terrible bushel weight

OSR would have been the best crop this year had it not been for a 20min hail storm average would have been around 1.7t/ac but that storm destroyed the best 110ac pulling that down to closer 1.2t :cry:

not only the hardest harvest I have ever experienced but we did it with the worst combine I have ever experienced so that REALLY didn't make things any better, if Claas hadn't sent us a loan machine this last 2 weeks we would still have at least 500ac to cut ! service like that goes someway to redeeming their reputation with us but we will have to make big changes for next year i'm afraid
    Sounds like you have made the best of a bad job!

What big changes have you got in mind for 2013?

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by gone up the hill View Post
    Sounds like you have made the best of a bad job!

What big changes have you got in mind for 2013?
    the combine - no way in hell I want to ever use that thing again, not sure what we will do but I can't ever put us in this situation again, staff have worked so hard to get it done, without their commitment we would have been in a massive mess. I have felt guilty that my poor decision over machine choice has caused them so much hard work

Right-arm fast

the combine - no way in hell I want to ever use that thing again, not sure what we will do but I can't ever put us in this situation again, staff have worked so hard to get it done, without their commitment we would have been in a massive mess. I have felt guilty that my poor decision over machine choice has caused them so much hard work
    your decision i would think was influenced by your Claas dealer, so he should take at least some of the blame, if it was a poor decision to buy that particular model.

honest john

Clive on one of your resent posts it was going well with an increase in power and header mods by Class up to 50 tph.
    I like the look of that new Class Drapper header.

I think the NH 9080 CR is very nice for the Driver and Owner.

The Pretender

I know you will thank them. Speaking as an employee, it is appreciated when your commitment is noticed.

Mr Muck

Finished combine today, 1st couple good afternoons between yesterday and today let us finish wheat and spring barley. Just over 100acre of straw to bale tomorrow if its a decent day again, some of it that had over 4" of rain is prob going to need an extra day to dry out yet though. I think nearly everything we have cut this year 80% anyway has been done at weekends!

Clive

Our machine is back in action this week ! have a neighbour with beans still to cut that a wheeled machine can't get near

agricontract

What % are they Clive mine are still 25% so waiting till the last possible day to cut them looks like it might be dry till Thursday here

Chae

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Muck View Post
    Finished combine today, 1st couple good afternoons between yesterday and today let us finish wheat and spring barley. Just over 100acre of straw to bale tomorrow if its a decent day again, some of it that had over 4" of rain is prob going to need an extra day to dry out yet though. I think nearly everything we have cut this year 80% anyway has been done at weekends!
    Interesting you say that! I just finished baling straw today and would say I ve done most of it at weekends also. Thought I was just imagining it. It's kind of like a hobby you do Inbetween the job you do during the week!

willb

Next door estate have got couple of hundred acres of wheat left plus their bean.

Neighbour other way was cutting last night, but no different from any other year.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by agricontract View Post
    What % are they Clive mine are still 25% so waiting till the last possible day to cut them looks like it might be dry till Thursday here
    Not sure yet, going to take a look at them tomorrow

jed

done. beans in the shed thank f... thats over.

Oil Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Interesting you say that! I just finished baling straw today and would say I ve done most of it at weekends also. Thought I was just imagining it. It's kind of like a hobby you do Inbetween the job you do during the week!

I've got a full time job; and only missed one day of combining for the spring barley this year. Seen a simialr pattern for the last few years.

RGT

Few farmers around here have'nt started yet?
    Very late sown corn?

jwcarr

I'm another one with a full-time job. This harvest has probably been my best ever for getting the job done at weekends when I get some peace from the phone. It was beautiful this weekend, a joy to be out.

Dinky

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    done. beans in the shed thank f... thats over.
    How did the new combine go?