Thread: Straw prices coming down-why ???

shbangsteve

Straw prices coming down-why ???

The delivered price for straw around here is actually coming down around here in north Devon and is a good 5-10 less than last year . Why ? Would have thought being such a bad year, less would be available or are arable farmers so hard up they have to get every penny they can ? Or is it that dairy/beef farmers just cannot pay for it ? Your thoughts ?

hilly bill

Re: Straw prices coming down-why ???

Huge crops of straw, supply and demand, less stock in uk year on year, over valued was bound to happen sooner or later.

MrNoo

Derrick will be on soon..!
    Very little straw that I have seen around here in the swath, choppers been on due to the catchy nature of harvest so far.

Forage Trader

No export, no demand, heavy crops,

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by shbangsteve View Post
    The delivered price for straw around here is actually coming down around here in north Devon and is a good 5-10 less than last year . Why ? Would have thought being such a bad year, less would be available or are arable farmers so hard up they have to get every penny they can ? Or is it that dairy/beef farmers just cannot pay for it ? Your thoughts ?
    Biggest harvest week around here that I can remember, it's getting so late for osr est that nearly all straw is being chopped, even by regular swathers. If this is the natioal norm then prices can only bounce back up

MrNoo

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
    Biggest harvest week around here that I can remember, it's getting so late for osr est that nearly all straw is being chopped, even by regular swathers. If this is the natioal norm then prices can only bounce back up
    My baler packed up, phoned a local contractor, he was in the field within an hour, not exactly busy due to unfit wheat straw still and choppers being used. Come Jan price will be fine

nick channer

none going abroad thats problem.... we'd loaded over 2000 mini hesstons out field on foreign lorrys by first week sept last yr..... and 20 ton more than we could sell it here for.. not one yet..