Thread: On Farm vs Mill sampling/testing of grain

Jon

On Farm vs Mill sampling/testing of grain

I use a Claydon grain sampler http://www.claydondrills.com/products/grain_sampler to collect samples of grain for every wagon leaving the farm. I find it an excellent tool and work by the HGCA confirms that it takes a representative sample of each lorry load. I have always believed that it takes a more representative sample than the vacuum spears typically employed at mills etc. The same HGCA work suggests that these spears need to sample 8 points in the wagon to get a representative sample. From my time hauling grain I have never known an intake take more than 3 sample points.

Until this year I have never had cause to worry too much about specific weight so have never routinely tested grain leaving the farm. This year is obviously different so I have been testing every load and comparing to mill result. Across 1000t the mill results have been up to 4 kg/hl less than my tests. I have confirmed the calibration of my tester against a professional grain lab on the same sample, so I know that I am testing and (as explained above) sampling accurately. Looking at the various mills' results I believe one is testing inaccurately, but have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the other four mills' testing. I suspect the disparity between farm test and mill test is down to sampling, and around the issue of specific weight I suspect that these vacuum spears have a tendency to suck up more light grains than heavy.

Does anyone else have any comparative data between farm and mill testing where you are confident that farm practice is equal to or better than the mill from a sampling and testing point of view?

I am in the process of trying to get recognition for the validity of my retained samples and would be interested to hear from anyone else who has a robust sampling routine on farm. Given what specific weight deductions are going to cost the industry this year, I think it is an opportune time to scrutinise the accuracy of sampling and testing at intake and gain some recognition for sampling undertaken on farm. Its about time the boxes full of retained samples had some value.

stroller

Re: On Farm vs Mill sampling/testing of grain

I have never bothered keeping samples as in my experience arguing against any claim is like pissing in the wind, simpler to send other loads somewhere else.

Mayo

It is best to forge a relationship with an end user and simply tell them, on the level, what you think the moisture and spec weight is before it is even sold or moved.

As several forum members could attest to, I used to buy grain and I needed to know what it was like beforehand, so I knew where to send it and what to expect.

I once had to buy a huge quantity of barley from all over the shop and I had only one load with any kind of claim against it.

The days of loading a lorry and switching your phone off are long gone. You'd only piss me off once with a rejection.

kpa

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I use a Claydon grain sampler http://www.claydondrills.com/products/grain_sampler to collect samples of grain for every wagon leaving the farm. I find it an excellent tool and work by the HGCA confirms that it takes a representative sample of each lorry load. I have always believed that it takes a more representative sample than the vacuum spears typically employed at mills etc. The same HGCA work suggests that these spears need to sample 8 points in the wagon to get a representative sample. From my time hauling grain I have never known an intake take more than 3 sample points...
    Would it be a good idea to send part of the sample taken with each load with a note that it was taken with the Claydon sampler + copy of the HGCA report
    ? Although in many of the HGCA report loads no test was done for screenings, I expect screenings will be more of a problem this year, in that specific weight will be OK (just) but screenings will be a problem:cry: