Thread: What is straw worth aberdeenshire?

always busy

What is straw worth aberdeenshire?

Anybody know what straw is making in aberdeenshire, 4 and a half foot bales soft centre. Woluld like to know if up or down from last year.

clover

Re: What is straw worth aberdeenshire?

I'm told same as last year.5 in the swath.10 loaded onto lorries.

Mr Muck

If you can hold til spring it will be worth more. money, Locally I have never seen so much straw getting chopped, and the straw we have baled is half the normal crop. Saying that clovers price is quite fair if you need it gone now.

cowcalf

6-7 per bale ready baled, size and density make a difference, a lot of spring barley looks a while a away though

walter melon

Quote Originally Posted by always busy View Post
    Anybody know what straw is making in aberdeenshire, 4 and a half foot bales soft centre. Woluld like to know if up or down from last year.
    It's worth the same in every part of the country.
    Lost fert value
    Remedial cultivation cost
    Some profit
    Honestly selling it at a loss and your subsidising the buyers business. It's worth farm more in organic matter value to keep.

All of the above is far more than 5/ac.

culphim78

4.50 in the bout not worth selling a lot left from last year I know of thousands sitting in sheds. It you can get a straw for muck deal if not leave a long stubble to plough in or chop

johnny400

6.50-7 baled in 4x4 bales was what the machinery ring said the other day.

Hewlett

Water melon,

I think he is talking per bale rather than per acre.

I understand the arguement of the arable farmer about lost p & k and possible remedial cultivations.

Can you cost that out? I just feel that lots of arable farmers quote these costs but are not fully aware of them. I know SAC put a cost on P & K a couple of years agao but havent seen it for a while. Also cost in the Nitrogen used in the breakdown of the straw and the fuel used by th chopper. The time taken to clear the field is very relevant, but most buyers will try ot build a relationship where it ca be ongoing.

always busy

Thanks for all replys, neighbour wants to buy to fields of straw from me but is only offering 4. Think i need 5.

culphim78

Theres lots of straw on the go 4 more than enough in the bout just chop it if you're not happy you won't get 5

drumachie1

5/bale 13.50/hesston bale yourself

knockie

Chopped 100 ac WB and all the rape straw this year and what a difference it has made to cultivations, doubt I'd sell straw again, what we don't need ourselves will most likely be chopped, selling for short term gain could lead to long term pain!
    I'd be wanting at least 50/ac in the bout to make it worth while.
    Cheers.
    SD.

BadLamber

Quote Originally Posted by Hewlett View Post
    Water melon,

I think he is talking per bale rather than per acre.

I understand the arguement of the arable farmer about lost p & k and possible remedial cultivations.

Can you cost that out? I just feel that lots of arable farmers quote these costs but are not fully aware of them. I know SAC put a cost on P & K a couple of years agao but havent seen it for a while. Also cost in the Nitrogen used in the breakdown of the straw and the fuel used by th chopper. The time taken to clear the field is very relevant, but most buyers will try ot build a relationship where it ca be ongoing.
    Totally agree. Mucks 10times better than chopped straw.