Thread: Barley Malting Premiums

sandersj89

Barley Malting Premiums

Have got some spring barley that has made malting spec unexpectedly, no contract to grow it but have found a buyer who wants it locally.

Not discussed price as yet so interested in peoples view of premiums for malting?

Thanks
    Jerry

Chris

Re: Barley Malting Premiums

No idea what the premium is at the moment, but being really cheeky, if they are looking for more I have 2 loads a couple of loads which should make malt depending on the germination

einstein

malting premium-well there hardly is one afaik-i think about a fiver is all i was offered.190 was the last offer i had for my tipple that made malt.How much is feed barley??

sandersj89

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    No idea what the premium is at the moment, but being really cheeky, if they are looking for more I have 2 loads a couple of loads which should make malt depending on the germination
    I will ask for you Chris. Buyer is about half way between us I think if I remember your location correctly.

Farmer T

Yup only about 5....... at the moment. Scotland is largely uncut at the moment (?) and although merchants say Europe could export some in- its still got to cost something getting it in. Rumour has it malsters run their stocks very low this year expecting a bumper harvest and lower prices. Malting barley normally follows milling wheat which currently has 20 premium. I would hold if you can

Condi

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer T View Post
    Rumour has it malsters run their stocks very low this year expecting a bumper harvest and lower prices. Malting barley normally follows milling wheat which currently has 20 premium. I would hold if you can
    Rumours can be dangerous things - sometimes they have basis, sometimes somebody wants to talk the market, or more correctly, hopes for a move in the market.