Thread: Brassicas & fodder beet

NeilO

Brassicas & fodder beet

I have a field destined for Fodder Beet in the Spring, that has just had the S.Barley crop removed. Is it safe to plant stubble turnips/rape between? Or is club root going to be a problem? Are any beet varieties better than others in this situation?

As turnips are going in so late, could do with as many acres in the ground as possible.

David.

Re: Brassicas & fodder beet

Was the concrete dry enough?

Ploughman1963

Aye, what did you do about your barley storage in the end Neil?

NeilO

First 27ac was tipped in the leaky shed, and due to be shifted to the (almost finished) new shed this weekend. Concrete was laid last Friday, so pushing it a bit, but builders were running about with Manitous & concrete panels on it yesterday.

Unfortunately it won't take long to shift over, running at a little over 2t/ac.

Hopefully I can sit on it now, rather than accept any of teh low prices that have been bandied about so far.

Forage Trader

you could always put forage rye on instead, roots should have a 5 year gap and the cost of growing beet is it worth it

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    I have a field destined for Fodder Beet in the Spring, that has just had the S.Barley crop removed. Is it safe to plant stubble turnips/rape between? Or is club root going to be a problem? Are any beet varieties better than others in this situation?

As turnips are going in so late, could do with as many acres in the ground as possible.
    There are no conflicts between brassicas and fodder beet
    It is very common to grow them close together in east Anglia for sheep feed
    Although normally the beet are sugar beet which of course is basically the. Same plant

Gav

We always grow forage rape on land destined for sugar beet the following spring, never had any problems because of it. We also grow forage rye on fields destined for sugar beet or potatoes, usually the latter as it isn't always able to be grazed off by the time we want to be getting the beet drilled.

devils advocate

Beet does not suffer from clubroot.

Only possible issue would be nematodes, very unlikely to be a problem in Wales on a mixed farm.

September sown stubble turnips waste of effect though, you want grazing rye or westerwolds.

David.

First 27ac was tipped in the leaky shed, and due to be shifted to the (almost finished) new shed this weekend. Concrete was laid last Friday, so pushing it a bit, but builders were running about with Manitous & concrete panels on it yesterday.

Unfortunately it won't take long to shift over, running at a little over 2t/ac.

Hopefully I can sit on it now, rather than accept any of teh low prices that have been bandied about so far.
    Happy days then, someone local had 18t off 15ac, according to the man who was chasing the straw.

clover

Could fodder beet be grown in the same rotation as OSR ? What about weed control ?

sheepwise

Will be interested to know how these late sown stubble turnips do since I toyed with the idea myself..How much fertiliser will you give them?

marsh_bor

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    you could always put forage rye on instead, roots should have a 5 year gap and the cost of growing beet is it worth it
    Thats spuds, beet are fine 1 in 3.

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by clover View Post
    Could fodder beet be grown in the same rotation as OSR ? What about weed control ?
    The advent of tri sulfuron made controlling rape very much easier
    Speak to your agronomist but I am fairly certain you can us it on fodder beet

Forage Trader

Quote Originally Posted by marsh_bor View Post
    Thats spuds, beet are fine 1 in 3.
    Ok thanks, what about turnips

clover

How do you intend to feed the fodder beet?

sheepwise

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    Ok thanks, what about turnips
    No closer than 1 in 7 for maincrop turnips/swedes.You can go closer with stubble turnips or rape behind maincrop but not maincrop/swedes behind stubble turnips/rape.

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by clover View Post
    How do you intend to feed the fodder beet?
    Chucked out whole on stubble turnips, or grazed in situ as a last resort if we can't lift them. This year's beet looks OK, but weedy, considering the disastrous start it had. That crop may well come to the rescue in making up for the stubble turnip late planting.