Thread: correct way to lay concrete?

830profistar

correct way to lay concrete?

Going to re lay a floor to turn a byre into a workshop, have only exerience of laying concrete with the use of timber shuttering to get it level, how do i do it in a 13ft wide byre? is it just a case of hire laser level and float it? or is there a better way? doesnt have to be perfectly flat, but the closer the better.

Richard

Re: correct way to lay concrete?

The cheapskate way;

Chalk arrows on the wall down to the finished level, going round with a spirit level... and hope it meets when you get round the room!

Then barrow concrete around the outside levelling it to your chalk marks.

Fill the middle using a long board putting a level on top now and again to check.

Float as required.

sawdust

Quote Originally Posted by 830profistar View Post
    Going to re lay a floor to turn a byre into a workshop, have only exerience of laying concrete with the use of timber shuttering to get it level, how do i do it in a 13ft wide byre? is it just a case of hire laser level and float it? or is there a better way? doesnt have to be perfectly flat, but the closer the better.
    Lay an 11 foot wide strip down the middle with your timber shutters then float in the edges when center's cured

davidroberts30

make a self leveling mix

DJM

put boards down about 2 feet in from edge fill in middle with concrete level with dumping board, then fill in sides dump with shorter board to sides then lift out the boards you used to dump on and fill in the small slot and float all in one go then you wont have any joins in the floor.

d4c24a

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    make a self leveling mix
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yMHn...eature=related

our use laser roughly level then tamp

John Maddock

What? No reinforcing mesh?

JV

d4c24a

Quote Originally Posted by John Maddock View Post
    What? No reinforcing mesh?

JV
    fibres

John Maddock

Quote Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
    fibres
    Aha! Heard of them - never known them to be used here in Tas.

JV

recycled

last time i saw it done the builders were working with aluminum battons down the side and using a fairly dry mix of concrete and they just pulled the battons out as they were going and filled in the hole behind as they went . the other way is putting in odd bricks at the right level and using them as a guide for your dumping board then take them out as your going

830profistar

Quote Originally Posted by recycled View Post
    last time i saw it done the builders were working with aluminum battons down the side and using a fairly dry mix of concrete and they just pulled the battons out as they were going and filled in the hole behind as they went . the other way is putting in odd bricks at the right level and using them as a guide for your dumping board then take them out as your going
    that does sound like quite a good idea, if i made a tidy job down each side, could maybe just leave them in? make a feature of it. lol. you see i have never seen it done.

Not going to bother with reinforcing, its only for a workshop for hobby use on small cars! door is too small and roof is too low for anything larger.

Thanks for all the suggestions, plenty options to try.

KILDARE

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The cheapskate way;

Chalk arrows on the wall down to the finished level, going round with a spirit level... and hope it meets when you get round the room!

Then barrow concrete around the outside levelling it to your chalk marks.

Fill the middle using a long board putting a level on top now and again to check.

Float as required.
    Builder did a old silage pit for me that way one time , worked very well. Had 5 loades leveled by lunchtime.

jamesy

Use that leave in forms

lamplighter2

that does sound like quite a good idea, if i made a tidy job down each side, could maybe just leave them in? make a feature of it. lol. you see i have never seen it done.

Not going to bother with reinforcing, its only for a workshop for hobby use on small cars! door is too small and roof is too low for anything larger.

Thanks for all the suggestions, plenty options to try.
    when i did a stable block floor we put down shuttering both sides to level required if its ready mix made it wet so it just went in on its own and used a 4x2 as a tamper to tamp it level. if its own mix if you can get two barrow boys and a mixer boy you can mix it fast and drop in wet so it just find its own level to some extent. then as it starts to go off fill in gaps where shutter boards were.

wilf

We used to put spots on the floor , mounds of stiff mixed concrete levelled off to the correct level with spirit level and 4x 2 . put at regular intervals through the site. obviously do a couple of days before laying the floor . this will give you a good enough guide to get it level. tamp and float your way backwards through it . never failed for us .floors you could play snooker on.

Jd2040s

To do mine i used a self compacting concrete from lafarge called agilia, amazing stuff, back the lorry up to the door and let rip, all you have to do then is go over it with a tamper, i had 4 meters done in 15 minutes and all perfectly level, no need for shuttering apart from by the door but just make sure u put a dpc under and up round the sides cos it is very fluid and likes to escape

lamplighter2

Quote Originally Posted by Jd2040s View Post
    To do mine i used a self compacting concrete from lafarge called agilia, amazing stuff, back the lorry up to the door and let rip, all you have to do then is go over it with a tamper, i had 4 meters done in 15 minutes and all perfectly level, no need for shuttering apart from by the door but just make sure u put a dpc under and up round the sides cos it is very fluid and likes to escape
    if you do not mind me asking how much for a ful load eg 6mtrs. have workshop floor to lay so it sounds a good idear

Jd2040s

Quote Originally Posted by lamplighter2 View Post
    if you do not mind me asking how much for a ful load eg 6mtrs. have workshop floor to lay so it sounds a good idear
    Its a little more than normal concrete but you don't need the labour, they can only carry 5mtrs on a truck too cos its so fluid, i paid 450 + the dreaded for 4mtrs so i assume 5 would be about 560 or so, i'd reccomend it to anyone wanting a lovely level floor, its a nice finish too, not too rough

830profistar

Quote Originally Posted by lamplighter2 View Post
    Yes, MORE INFO NEEDED. sounds like a very interesting product. what do you have to put under it? i am just planning on type one where its needed.

Off to search the website for a spec sheet for the local batcher man!

Jd2040s

Yes, MORE INFO NEEDED. sounds like a very interesting product. what do you have to put under it? i am just planning on type one where its needed.

Off to search the website for a spec sheet for the local batcher man!
    I just put the normal black dpm from screwfix under it, i did'nt need mesh in mine cos its a workshop for small machines but it should cope with mesh very well, i got mine from minimix

830profistar

Quote Originally Posted by Jd2040s View Post
    Its a little more than normal concrete but you don't need the labour, they can only carry 5mtrs on a truck too cos its so fluid, i paid 450 + the dreaded for 4mtrs so i assume 5 would be about 560 or so, i'd reccomend it to anyone wanting a lovely level floor, its a nice finish too, not too rough
    you say can only 5 in a truck, what would it normally take, the locals big one will take 9 and a bit, i only need 7, maybe 8. you think it would fit?

Jd2040s

you say can only 5 in a truck, what would it normally take, the locals big one will take 9 and a bit, i only need 7, maybe 8. you think it would fit?
    I expect it would, i've only ever used a 6mtr truck for jobs, i'm not sure if minimix do bigger but give em a ring tomorrow or lafarge might have their own trucks, minimix do a 15m conveyor truck too thats VERY handy