Thread: Winter ploughing?

sodbuster10-4

Winter ploughing?

Would it be too early to start winter ploughing this month if I had some spare time and was able to take advantage of good conditions?

Badshot

Re: Winter ploughing?

Much better to do it in good conditions than later when it gets wet and slimy, can never understand leaving the ploughing till you can hardly move with it and say 'oh well it's got all winter to weather down', the damage is done out of sight.

tonym

Your problem with early winter ploughing would probably be that the weeds would be still growing actively and by spring it would be a right mess. But as said better to plough in good conditions than maul the soil in the wet. I personally would leave it until the end of October and chance the weather.

CORK

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Your problem with early winter ploughing would probably be that the weeds would be still growing actively and by spring it would be a right mess. But as said better to plough in good conditions than maul the soil in the wet. I personally would leave it until the end of October and chance the weather.
    I agree with Tony, a dirty ploughed field wont be pretty!

Also, sometimes the ground can be a bit dry and hard (yes - believe me it does happen!!) right after harvest and can be a bit expensive to plough.
    A bit of rain can help some soils soften for nicer ploughing.

But I do know where you are coming from in terms of getting it done before it turns too wet.

Archie

Ploughed some heavy land for wheat mid September last year which ended up as spring barley due to turning wet the day after ploughing.

No weed problems and easily knocked down into a great seedbed for barley in spring.
    If you've got time just now to do the job properly then just get on with it.

harrisonion

Yep, get on with it! A little round up in the spring will do a good job.