Thread: Wheat 2012 Late N Benefit??

peasantman

Wheat 2012 Late N Benefit??

JThe best yield and sample I have seen this year (Oakley 3t/acre 75 kg/hl )had a top up of liquid N in June. The liquid N 50 Kg/ha was applied when the crop was flowering, against the advice of all advisers who said it would be a waste of time. The difference between this field and our others is amazing, although all had same fungicide programme.

I would suggest that leaching of nitrogen is as big a factor in the failure of this years wheat harvest as fusarium.

Next year we will be drip feeding liquid N from end of March right through to flowering in order to try to avoid losing a big dose in a spell of heavy rain.

In my view the N timing advice for wheat in RB201 is simplistic and outdated.

Hillfarmer

Re: Wheat 2012 Late N Benefit??

Quote Originally Posted by peasantman View Post
    JThe best yield and sample I have seen this year (Oakley 3t/acre 75 kg/hl )had a top up of liquid N in June. The liquid N 50 Kg/ha was applied when the crop was flowering, against the advice of all advisers who said it would be a waste of time. The difference between this field and our others is amazing, although all had same fungicide programme.

I would suggest that leaching of nitrogen is as big a factor in the failure of this years wheat harvest as fusarium.

Next year we will be drip feeding liquid N from end of March right through to flowering in order to try to avoid losing a big dose in a spell of heavy rain.

In my view the N timing advice for wheat in RB201 is simplistic and outdated.
    All of my wheat had all of its N by 20th april and averaged 8t/ha, loss of yeild i would put down to fungicide timings some of my t1 to t2 was four wks which allowed the septoria to creep in plus the wet flowering period causing all sort of disease problems on the ear, wheats were so filthy it didnt stand a chance!

peasantman

Quote Originally Posted by Hillfarmer View Post
    All of my wheat had all of its N by 20th april and averaged 8t/ha, loss of yeild i would put down to fungicide timings some of my t1 to t2 was four wks which allowed the septoria to creep in plus the wet flowering period causing all sort of disease problems on the ear, wheats were so filthy it didnt stand a chance!
    So by the time it was "grain filling", in our part of the country, most soil N had been washed away, and any good grain had little chance of making up for the blind/diseased grains.

Oilseed

Not sure I agree, light land seems to have done better than heavy this year, the light land would have been the first to loose its nitrogen though!

Clive

about 80% of our wheat had late N as yours - I will take a look when I get chance and see if it made a difference

Although poor our yield actually seem to be better than many loaclly are reporting - the norm seems to be around the 2-2.75t mark but most of ours seems to be more 3-3.25t hadn't considered the late N as a factor and felt I had just waisted money as milling quality is not there

foxbox

It will be interesting to see what Clive sees from yield maps but I would suggest drawing such a conclusion from one field in a very odd season would be dangerous.

We only farm 300 acres of arable and count trailers rather than use yield maps but have seen yield variations between 2 fields of OSR (same variety, aspect, drilling date spray timing etc) of 1.5 tonnes per hectare with no explanation being obvious. Wheat has been similar although generally heavier land has suffered poorer yields than the lighter land. Our top yielder (just short of 4 tonnes/acre) was a second wheat on a medium soil, our poorest just shy of 2 tonnes/acre on some heavier clay land. We hit every spray timing and N application as we intended to but we won't be drawing any sweeping conclusions from this as it should be a one off.

There will be plenty of people pushing varieties/products etc which "excelled" this year which will disappear into mediocrity next year and generally it's the average of a few years that matters (unless it's the output of your combine).

peasantman

Finished harvesting today in the wheat which had late N. Definitely much higher bushel weight although actual yield only marginally up and it was on crap land that never normally does much above 2.5 t/acre even in a good year.

I am not saying late N would work every year especially in a dry one but it does make me think that I have been blinkered by the guidance in RB201 e.g. "not later than early May".

Godber

Put some liquid N on our Gallant at flag leaf and some Multi-N at milky ripe to get some protein. Protein was all we did get - 16.85%, 62Kg/Hl , 2.5t/ac

We apply enough N to get 13% and no doubt had the yield been normal thats where it would have been but its our poorest sample all round

peasantman

Quote Originally Posted by Godber View Post
    Put some liquid N on our Gallant at flag leaf and some Multi-N at milky ripe to get some protein. Protein was all we did get - 16.85%, 62Kg/Hl , 2.5t/ac

We apply enough N to get 13% and no doubt had the yield been normal thats where it would have been but its our poorest sample all round
    Any idea how much N applied?

Richard

My 2t/ac Hereward is 15% protein!, so adding some more would have helped?.. it would have been a 4t + crop last year.