Thread: An idea for Irish autumn cropping - WOSR

CORK

An idea for Irish autumn cropping - WOSR

Well, it looks like winter wheat seed will be like hens teeth here in Ireland this autumn.
    Between sprouting, fusarium, low yield and scarcity of imports; securing winter wheat seed of suitable varieties will prove very difficult.

Winter barley seed while an attractive alternative will only go a little way in covering the shortfall.

With very strong future prices available, WOSR could be an ideal alternative for Irish arable growers.
    With the current settled spell allowing fields to get cleared and dry out, there is still time to get a WOSR crop successfully established.

We have some great proven varieties available in Ireland aswell as proven yield potential.
    The great rotational benefits of WOSR have been recognised by new growers over the past fews years.

If conditions (weather & soil) are suitable, I would be very comfortable planting WOSR up to the 15th September.
    The warm settled spell forecast to develop for the end of the week should be ideal and may allow even later sowings in the south.

I'll take this chance to highlight both Osprey and Sensation as ideal choices for WOSR this autumn. Both have progressed through the official trialing scheme in Ireland and are thus well tested and can be trusted.

Great yield potential, excellent standing power.

Both are known as having great autumn vigour (important for later sowings).

We also have a little bit of the new variety Kite available.

If anyone requires any information on varieties, agronomy or establishment please just let me know by posting a reply or P'Ming me.

John

cozzie

Re: An idea for Irish autumn cropping - WOSR

What wheat variety for wholecropping John, also hope to direct drill it into either spring wheat stubble and grass. Had cordiale last year but not overly impressed. Best get my few ton of seed ordered

CORK

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    What wheat variety for wholecropping John, also hope to direct drill it into either spring wheat stubble and grass. Had cordiale last year but not overly impressed. Best get my few ton of seed ordered
    Cordiale is an old one now, although its one of the few that have stood up to the weather from a grain quality point of view.

What variety next? - in a word - whatever you can get!

cozzie

Quote Originally Posted by CORK View Post
    Cordiale is an old one now, although its one of the few that have stood up to the weather from a grain quality point of view.

What variety next? - in a word - whatever you can get!
    is it in that short supply? usually wouldnt go looking for it until planting in early October. Can decent seed not be imported or are the varieties in demand in Ireland not produced say in France/germany etc

CORK

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    is it in that short supply? usually wouldnt go looking for it until planting in early October. Can decent seed not be imported or are the varieties in demand in Ireland not produced say in France/germany etc
    Yes, it really is that scarce.

Normally we could get some suitable varieties from the UK but it is also scarce there. Even at that, there are only certain UK varieties which work well over here.

When you go to France/Germany, the choice is even more limited although we are looking.

marco

How much higher would the seeding rates be getting heading towards the 15th?

I was thinking of maybe sowing home saved seed wheat as a cover crop and putting in another spring crop.

What kind of price is being quoted for winter wheat seed?

I've been told 700 At this price it makes far more sence growing osr i think

CORK

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    How much higher would the seeding rates be getting heading towards the 15th?

I was thinking of maybe sowing home saved seed wheat as a cover crop and putting in another spring crop.

What kind of price is being quoted for winter wheat seed?

I've been told 700 At this price it makes far more sence growing osr i think
    Hi Marco,

I would suggest to stick with approx 50-55 seeds/m2 for hybrid Sensation sown at the 15th. This rate is for reasonably good conditions.
    If conditions are not good then I wouldn't sow WOSR, simple as that.

Wheat seed is likely to be in the region of 700/tn or more for certain imported varieties.

My gut feel (which will probably be wrong!) is that high grain prices will quite likely lead to increased international sowings and a significant drop in prices for next harvest.
    Sowing some WOSR of which some is sold at good money could be a good risk management aid.

Also it will mean lots of nice fresh ground next autumn!

Not sure if a winter wheat cover crop will be the best way of lowering Take-all innoculum for your spring cereal crop.....

ThatIrishGuy

Have put in alot of cabernet and expower did ok from this year,ON SOME OF OUR VERY LIGHT GROUND.
    Anyone got opinion of an osr break in grassley?, prob be severe pests but maybe able to get a few acres from grassmen as part of a re-seed programe.
    Have a trailed trio for some sub soiling.

Bog Man

Quote Originally Posted by ThatIrishGuy View Post
    Have put in alot of cabernet and expower did ok from this year,ON SOME OF OUR VERY LIGHT GROUND.
    Anyone got opinion of an osr break in grassley?, prob be severe pests but maybe able to get a few acres from grassmen as part of a re-seed programe.
    Have a trailed trio for some sub soiling.
    Over the years I have put a lot of spring rape into grass ley . Last year mine yielded 1.25 Tonne/acre but my neighbours that I was managing yielded 1.5 if he had another tonne . Just spray off with roundup and give it a run of the disc and sow .