Thread: Spring barley 'skinning'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    kennyo

Spring barley 'skinning'

Had a load of spring malting barley rejected today with over30% skinned grains. Is this due to my poor combine setting or just the season? Variety was propino

I know skinning is bad due to weather this year but what actually causes it?

CORK

Re: Spring barley 'skinning'

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo View Post
    Had a load of spring malting barley rejected today with over30% skinned grains. Is this due to my poor combine setting or just the season? Variety was propino

I know skinning is bad due to weather this year but what actually causes it?
    Dont think your combine is to blame.

Some varieties do it more than others - especially when they get weathered.
    Quench was always a demon for it, funnily enough Quench is one of Propinos parents if I remember correctly.....

Quench was dropped for malting over this very issue - the skins blocking filters in the malting process.

Crazybull

Propino has been terrible this year for skinning, from what i have seen it's not a combine thing, its a variety thing.

Archie

Just finished my Propino tonight and certainly more skins in it than the Optic. Not such a nice colour either.
    Maybe just one of those varieties prone to it like Chariot and Oxbridge. Pity as it's yielded way above what I was expecting this year.

Beltbreaker

Optic has again performed reliably here, its a pity that it is to be dropped from distilling for harvest 2014.

On the skinning side of things it has been a common problem with most varieties (Optic excluded) Shuffle has skinned badly, Propino seems to be the same, Concerto the 2012 malting barley of choice has skinned as well, from memory Minstrel X Westminster. Further to this Odessey, Chronicle and Overture all have Concerto as a parent.

On the combine front, modern walker combines have 3 or 4 drums running at different speeds which must hammer the grain more than say the old Senator which was limited to one drum and would chuck stuff off the back if conditions weren't good.

In fairness as farmers we grow what the market wants (read Diageo the others follow IMO) . The distiller is influenced by a number of aspects the most important is spirit yield followed by processability. If it is slow to produce spirit or blocks filters then the barley is no use to them. There is plenty of demand for the moment so I wonder come January if perhaps there will be a market for 10% skinned grain if not the feed market is bouyant enough

In the rush to get a barley which has non Glycosidic Nitrile (GN) the breeders have chased this paricular cause (under pressure from the distiller). They have succeeded in doing so and also increased the yields in malting varieties but have perhaps dropped the processability ball (if indeed it is a word). In years gone by with the exception of Oxbridge skinning has not been a problem. Yes we have had issues with screenings, splits, Nitrogen levels, germination (I've probably forgotten something) but not really skinning. Yes the cool wet summer must have had something to do with it but last year Concerto and Shuffle gave cause for concern.

So what I am really saying is
    • Its not your fault its the distiller for choosing the variety
    • Your not the only one
    • IMO modern combine thrash harder
    • The breeders need to have a re-think and create Scottish climate ready, early, non GN high yielding (t/ha and spirit) varieties oh with export potential.
    • Processability is a word
    • My old man used to go on about Golden Promise my GP is Optic. (it does brackle though )
    Cheers BB

kennyo

BB

Optic was supposed to be on its last year here but I think that we will be planting again next year.

Concerto has been skinning but been accepted.

Rest of propino (only 2 loads) will stay in our shed for a while till we decide what to do with it.