Thread: DIY cow pregnancy test

Chalk

DIY cow pregnancy test

Anyone got one or know anything about them?

YC

Re: DIY cow pregnancy test

we used one of the ones where you test their milk at certain times - it was certainly faffy, but worked! thats all i know.

Chalk

You don't anymore I take it?

choochter

It has puzzled me for several years why there is not a simple urine test kit for diagnosing pregnancy in cattle that farmers could use.

ladycrofter

Well choochter I can answer that - as in my experiment with the human pregnancy test. Spent about a half hour following a cow around with a coffee mug in my hand. She got pretty pissed off (chuckle chuckle) and I got covered in it when she finally went. More like a garden hose with a broken nozzle than a tidy wee stream :lolk:.

happycows

Quote Originally Posted by choochter View Post
    It has puzzled me for several years why there is not a simple urine test kit for diagnosing pregnancy in cattle that farmers could use.

I often wish for a simple low cost solution to this. I have a test kit here but it doesn't tell you if they are in calf it tells you if the are on heat. I can see that with my eyes and the aid of the pedometers. basically you have to keep testing at set days and if they don't show a positive heat they are incalf.

blood or milk sample sent off in the post with a yea or ney is all i want to know.

vet is ok but with a small herd and often 6/8 to pd if everything else has cleansed fine and nothing to far overdue for a serve then it's time and money to tell me something i know the answer to already. to be honest i tend to not bother with vet pd'ing any more. not had any nasty shocks yet.

happycows

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    Well choochter I can answer that - as in my experiment with the human pregnancy test. Spent about a half hour following a cow around with a coffee mug in my hand. She got pretty pissed off (chuckle chuckle) and I got covered in it when she finally went. More like a garden hose with a broken nozzle than a tidy wee stream :lolk:.
    there is a fairly reliable way to make a cow wee!! if you have the knack

YC

Quote Originally Posted by Chalk View Post
    You don't anymore I take it?
    it was only for a small group of cows we were milking for ourselves and some calves, only got one left now and it doesn't really matter if she's in calf or not!

tdcrugby

We use the p4 rapid test from ridgeway science. Uses milk samples and takes less than ten mins. Two lines on stick, she in heat, 1 line she is pregnant or not cycling. Very accurate

Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by happycows View Post
    there is a fairly reliable way to make a cow wee!! if you have the knack
    Bend over away from her and she'll go in your welly!

Quote Originally Posted by YC View Post
    it was only for a small group of cows we were milking for ourselves and some calves, only got one left now and it doesn't really matter if she's in calf or not!
    I suppose that's as good a reason as any!

Quote Originally Posted by tdcrugby View Post
    We use the p4 rapid test from ridgeway science. Uses milk samples and takes less than ten mins. Two lines on stick, she in heat, 1 line she is pregnant or not cycling. Very accurate
    Still doesn't tell you if she's pregnant though

choochter

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    Spent about a half hour following a cow around with a coffee mug in my hand. She got pretty pissed off (chuckle chuckle) and I got covered in it when she finally went..
    I empathasise LC.
    What about the other end? Be easier to collect slavers - could a test on saliva work?

tdcrugby

Quote Originally Posted by Chalk View Post
    Bend over away from her and she'll go in your welly!

I suppose that's as good a reason as any!

Still doesn't tell you if she's pregnant though
    It follows progesterone levels which go up or down dependent on if the cow is in heat/ pregnant. The way we use it is two fold. We make sure the cows are on heat in parlour by doing the milk test then serve them. We wait till the next 21 day cycle and if progesterone level is high when we milk sample them then we know it has held. Obviously eggs could be lost after this so you can continue to test them following the cycle etc. It does tell you if she is pregnant indirectly and we find it is easy, cheap and accurate.

The only complication would be say if a cow had cysts and wasn't cycling normally, or another problem causing her to not show oestrus. But we find this is very rare and ou can normally tell if the cow is under the weather.

YC

Quote Originally Posted by choochter View Post
    I empathasise LC.
    What about the other end? Be easier to collect slavers - could a test on saliva work?
    i believe human saliva changes when pregnant (or was that menstruating? or ovulating! lol ) so maybe!

choochter

Ye'd think, with 3 million breeding cows in the country, that it would be a saleable product if some enterprising chemist could come up with a spit test.

Chalk

What do you think you'd pay for a urine/blood test?

Hi Guys

We are a pharmacy based in West Yorkshire and we are looking into stocking a cow pregnancy test kit which can be test by milk,blood and urine.
    The price will be around 10/test with discounts on larger qty's.
    We are wanting to determine if there would be demand for this product at these prices before we stock these.
    Any help would be appreciated

Private prescriptions also supplied at best prices

email info@easymedspharmacy.co.uk