Thread: Missing

Missing

We have had 15 in-lamb yearling ewes stolen. They have disappeared sometime between end of November and end of February. I know that is a wide window but they have been running a block of ground just away from the main farm and obviously looked at and fed on a daily basis but not counted.
    Would I be correct in assuming that it would be another farmer or dealer that has done this? I can't believe that 'Joe Bloggs' from the local town has the ability or means of doing such a thing? Dogs would have been required along with towing vehicle and trailer etc.

They were all tagged and I do know the numbers of them but they can obviously be cut out and replaced very easily.

Police have issued the customery crime number and that is the end of it. Apparently this is becoming quite a problem according to various sources I have spoken to regarding this - insurance, auctioneers and other farmers.

Re: Missing

Tough luck, how annoying. 15 must have been someone with a small single-deck trailer, so that narrows it down!!! And just shows what a waste of time ear tags are in this situation.

Can I ask are you claiming off your insurance and how's it going? I always wondered how claims went for stolen / missing stock when you can't possibly count them more than once or twice a year.
    Clive Tee

Re: Missing

Our insurance covers 'unexplained disappearance' for stock which I hope would cover a scenario such as this. All our gates are padlocked which does help a bit.