Price being?

kpa

Re: New Cross Slot in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    Price being?
    If you have to ask, you can't afford it

Andrew Kerr

If its anything like the old one, then you are right Keith!

fred

How on earth do i put pictures up , it used to be simple

REB1952

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    How on earth do i put pictures up , it used to be simple
    Click on the small paper clip icon just above the text box (Attachments) to open a separate window that has the options for browsing your computer for pictures and uploading them.

Their website make them sound like the next best thing since sliced bread, but price I'd seen a few years ago was more than most people would risk with on a 3m wide drill.

walter melon

This will be the UK designed version which should be cheaper. The importers are buying the openers but had their own frame designed by Philip Wright (ex Simba). If priced right it should sell as its the best seeding coulter on the market.

fred

apparently i need to inform the adminstrator i need a security token , ive emailed them 3 times , now we wait

fred

The coulters are expensive .

what is expensive for a drill?

walter melon

The coulters are expensive .

what is expensive for a drill?
    They used to cost 2,500 each but this was a while ago. The original 3m version was around 70,000 about 5 years ago, so now it will be more, although I believe the idea by just importing the coulters was to shave the cost a lot, so these new ones built in the UK should be a lot more competitive.

fred

what does a 4m claydon or mzuri cost, similar horse power,

until i can post the pictures its a job to talk about the drill any ideas any one?

come on admin sort this out

Jim Bullock

Clive

Great drill but soooooo expensive

Wonder if building them in the ukmhas made them more reasonable

fred

Yep they'll do,

i have followed the cross slot since it first arrived on these shores , my initial
    concerns were

Power

it takes 10hp an opener, 19 openers do the maths on a 3m machine

Width

3m to narrow, we need at least 4m to work 1500 acres

Effectiveness

will it, or more accurately will no till /direct drill work ,

will this system work eg the cross slot opener

Cost

Yes they are expensive , but if you want accuracy of depth and placement you might need these openers

as far as i am concerned the inverted T opener is the one design i like,

i went to watch the new machine in action,
    the new folding 4m width answered that question , power, 21 openers 250hp, average speed of approx 12kmh, we are now more used to using big tractors to drill

now effectiveness : the farmer whose farm it was on , had had it done by the cross slot guys for at least 3 years , the soil was heavy handslope but very friable , i stuck a spade in very easily,bear in mind most tilled land is rock hard, worms every where, seed covered at bang on an inch and half . this is where the contour following ability of the drill is at a premium,

no raking ,just drilling , then rolling,

last :Cost , this is where if you want to know ring Primewest and discuss it with them ,

the drill had been designed to be basic , you can add on what you want, to be honest i didnt ask a price , but i have a good idea , it wont be cheap, but at what cost is all the functions that this machine offers,

I dont have a pro or con attitude to cross slot , if it was 20% less i would probably buy one ,

REB1952

no raking ,just drilling , then rolling,
    As in a separate pass with Cambridge rolls etc.
    I would have though the drill's press wheels firmed adequately, so is the rolling just for pest control?

walter melon

http://www.wrightresolutions.co.uk/id22.html

It will only sell if its competitive on price which is why they did not sell the first time around. A 4m version should be no more than 60,000 but preferably around the 50,000 mark.

Any more and the hard core disc drill boys will go with a 750a because it can very nearly do the same job and is as good a drill. The people who are just sitting on the fence not sure what to do will end up in the tined camp with a Mzuri/Claydon because 'price is king'.

The Baker boys couldn't argue the high price of the old cross slot so hopefully they have learnt there lesson and now have something competitive because if its priced the same as a 4m 750 or 4m Mzuri then the market is Cross Slots for the taking. If not then they might sell one or two like last time.

York

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Great drill but soooooo expensive
    Wonder if building them in the ukmhas made them more reasonable
    Clive,
    not only build in GB but as well designed in the UK:
    http://www.wrightresolutions.co.uk/id22.html
    so even more no reason for not looking at it.
    I wish the owners that there hopes are met with the drill.
    York-Th.

Jim Bullock

We are looking to change/up-date our drill (Kuhn SD 4000 -1998) But we need a system that will provide us with consistant results at a cost of no more than 20/acre (50/ha).... and still we are looking at a Simtech-T-Sem or a Claydon hybrid..locally nothing else has performed as well in two totally different seasons (Dry 2011/wet 2012)
    The Cross-Slot has to be the Rolls-Royce of disc based direct drills but with 16 year experience of disc drills no matter what anybody says you need the right soil conditions and good residue managment to get the best results with a disc drill. High coulter pressures are all well and good in areas of the world where soil moisture evaporation exceeds rainfall (where the disc drill works best)..however in Western Europe this is a rare occurance and at drilling time we have found that the level of soil moisture is the defining line between success and failure...hence our interest in investing in a tine based drill (to run along-side our Kuhn drill)

walter melon

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    We are looking to change/up-date our drill (Kuhn SD 4000 -1998) But we need a system that will provide us with consistant results at a cost of no more than 20/acre (50/ha).... and still we are looking at a Simtech-T-Sem or a Claydon hybrid..locally nothing else has performed as well in two totally different seasons (Dry 2011/wet 2012)
    The Cross-Slot has to be the Rolls-Royce of disc based direct drills but with 16 year experience of disc drills no matter what anybody says you need the right soil conditions and good residue managment to get the best results with a disc drill. High coulter pressures are all well and good in areas of the world where soil moisture evaporation exceeds rainfall (where the disc drill works best)..however in Western Europe this is a rare occurance and at drilling time we have found that the level of soil moisture is the defining line between success and failure...hence our interest in investing in a tine based drill (to run along-side our Kuhn drill)
    Mzuri would tick more boxes surely as you can run it shallow or deep, where as the claydon is only shallow in comparison. So a toolbox containing a Mzuri and Kuhn would be the ultimate.

Mr Bean

Quote Originally Posted by walter melon View Post
    Mzuri would tick more boxes surely as you can run it shallow or deep, where as the claydon is only shallow in comparison. So a toolbox containing a Mzuri and Kuhn would be the ultimate.
    Or a Sim-Tec and a Kuhn, depending on your views on moving soil.

I would be up be sunk without my Sim-Tec this year.

Hartwig

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    with 16 year experience of disc drills no matter what anybody says you need the right soil conditions and good residue managment to get the best results with a disc drill. High coulter pressures are all well and good in areas of the world where soil moisture evaporation exceeds rainfall (where the disc drill works best)..however in Western Europe this is a rare occurance and at drilling time we have found that the level of soil moisture is the defining line between success and failure...hence our interest in investing in a tine based drill (to run along-side our Kuhn drill)
    Jim,
    from my actual point of view you hit the nail on it`s head !
    Being now in the 3rd very wet drilling season in a row (and the 3rd poor harvest), I absolutely agree with you, having my Moore in the shed, which was constructed by Sam Moore under probably not really dryland-conditions in Ireland, but it is a disc and the full weight on the iron presswheels makes it worse under wet conditions.
    From my experience, it can be a little too damp at drilling, if it stays moderate dry for the next 2-3 weeks until the roots are away from the critical zone.
    Very good drill to go into stripped straw or high residue spring drilling, but I`m also looking for any simple tine drill to be fitted with Soren`s Gen-openers probably, to have a go in wet autumns after beans and osr getting my winter cereals established. An old CO3 looks perfect, if cheap enough for my small acreage !?

Clive

So what is the ultimate 2 drill "garage" to cover all situations

750a disc drill and a Dale tine drill ?

Mzuri or Claydon strip drill and a 750a ??

or is there a drill that really covers all situations ? I think Claydon / Mzuri get closest to that if you only want 1 drill but are they REALLY direct drills ? both need power and move a lot of soil ??

maybe a cross slot is cheaper than we all give it credit for if it covers all situations ?? but does it ? are they any good in the wet ??

I'm not nervous about the 750a I have at the moment - we should get started next week and see no reason why it won't go well on our soil despite them being wetter than ideal ?

Krampeman

CS can smear in heavier soils. Where we used it here it did a good job on my lighter soils (more similar to yours) but on the heavy soil trial it pretty much failed and couldn't close the slots. Reason being it was so heavy - to heavy for heavier soil.
    Is there really a drill to cover all bases? Not sure so 3 or 4 second hand ones that probably collectively cost the same as one brand spanking new CS is a much safer option.

750a - where conditions are ideal
    Mzuri - for osr in bands, beans and where remedial work needs doing
    Dale - so you have an option for a shallow tine if the 750 cant run

Probably total cost of 80k if bought carefully.

Problem is if CTF is the forward view matching drill widths of multiple drills will not be easy.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Krampeman View Post
    CS can smear in heavier soils. Where we used it here it did a good job on my lighter soils (more similar to yours) but on the heavy soil trial it pretty much failed and couldn't close the slots. Reason being it was so heavy - to heavy for heavier soil.
    Is there really a drill to cover all bases? Not sure so 3 or 4 second hand ones that probably collectively cost the same as one brand spanking new CS is a much safer option.

Problem is if CTF is the forward view matching drill widths of multiple drills will not be easy.
    CTF makes lower HP drills important as drills need to be wide 6,8 or 12m wide really. CFT is where 750 and Dale stand out as they can be pulled at wide widths with lowish power unlike the strip till drills

Willscale

Doesn't seem a bad set of options.

That said subsoil seeder for the rape (with easily adjustable low disturbance legs like the sumo grassland subsoiler) and for any remedial stuff would still leave you able to do a lot of drilling with a disc drill. Add to this something like ring rollers with shatterboards and very shallow stubble tool if you wanted to do something with poor residue distribution could be cheaper than trying to run three seeders with metering systems etc.

Clive

I reckon a shed with the following USED kit in would cover pretty much any situation and not cost the earth but have enough capacity to do well over 2000ac of establishment in good time ?

JD 750a - best disc drill when conditions are right low HP requirement
    Dale - best tine drill low HP
    Vaderstad carrier - if a fast cheap stale seed bed is required, use as a rakes etc
    Hosch FG - best leveling tool when needed
    Shakerator - cheap to run deep tool when remedial work is required
    Rolls

maybe have a small seeder unit that can be used with shakertaor, carrier or FG to do OSR as well as a redial operation

all based around 1 lightweight tractor just over 200hp

Krampeman

You can only get a 6m 750 though as the 8m were 740's which were different beasts. So with a 6m drill you would either need a 6m combine header or 18m combine header for CTF wouldn't you?

Clive

You can only get a 6m 750 though as the 8m were 740's which were different beasts. So with a 6m drill you would either need a 6m combine header or 18m combine header for CTF wouldn't you?
    6m drill / cultivator and 12m header works with ctf - not as ideal as a 12m drill but drills and cultivators that big bring with them the problem of big power and weight

8m systems not good as you don't use all of a 9.5m header - it would not be hard to extend a 750a to 8 m if you really wanted though and it wouldn't need massive power

Alistair_Nelson

The biggest limiting factor with all of this is the combine header as a 12m header doesn't cut 12m as a few people have discovered near me and that is in standing corn and in an ideal world you need at least 6' to allow for any lean. Thats why Knockie's idea of 10.5m bed and 10m drill / 30m tramlines sounds a good mix although folding 10 or 12m is not as straight forward as 6 or possibly 8 as height can be an issue there. 9m Bed with 8m works but is alittle too over the top overlap wise for a 24m system and is an odd number of passes which removes half breed etc although RTK means assymetric tramilining is now an option but makes CTF more difficult thinking of 6m into 24m

With regard to drills its the coulters that are the clever bit after that there are enough clever people in this country who can design / build frames to take them at any width to suit like philip wright has done with the cross slot and also with the dale, and as long as you are happy with an accord type metering device that side of things is not the most difficult with regard to positioning tanks etc as it is the most adaptable system out there and parts are readily available.

Alistair

Alistair

Krampeman

Its difficult to describe in writing because a diagram is easier but the tractor would have to be on the same wheel track width as the combine so say 3m which means extending the axles.

That then drills with effectively 3m either side of the centre of the tractor. You turn at the top of the field and come back down putting in another 3m either side of the tractor thus creating 12m of crop?

The combine sits in the middle of the header which means the combine wheels do not run up either of the 2 tracks the drill tractor made unless you stretch the combine axles probably up to 6m out.

I think proper CTF means everything must match so 12m header, 12m drill and 36m sprayer as the drill tractor sits in the combine wheelings and then the sprayer runs up every 3rd one.