Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Cross Slot in the UK

czechmate

Re: New Cross Slot in the UK

How much does the "cross slot" contractor charge?

MS

Hi, Sorry for the delayed response - I can give you the contractor's phone number, but not able to disclose the price we pay, without their agreement. Text me if you want it.

Krampeman

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
    How much does the "cross slot" contractor charge?
    Used to be 18.50/ac but this was 6 years ago. That was on our fuel as well.

York

here you find the contact info for the GB CS contractor:
    http://www.primewest.co.uk
    Just give them a call.
    Always better to talk to people directly.
    York-Th.

lordbonville

Just read this entire thread start to finish and come up with an idea.

To the guy like me who would always keep a plough and combination drill just in case, would I manage without my other fleet of kit?

Vaderstad 4m drill, cost 48k; 3m Heva combilift discroller, cost 14k; Heva 6.3m discroller, cost 12k 2nd hand; Simba cultipress 4.6m, cost 12k 2nd hand.

With all that I could easily have afforded a 4m cross slot and still use less diesel and power in a "normal" year? Could you get away without any other pass with a rake or carrier even with chopped straw?

On heavy (really heavy no roots) clay soil it looks the most forgiving in a wet autumn of all the zero/ reduced till drills. When its too wet I can do a Lee and start chasing a plough round with the combidrill or leave well alone till the spring.

And NO, the plough and combination will never be sold "just in case"

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by lordbonville View Post

And NO, the plough and combination will never be sold "just in case"
    Forget cross slot or other direct drills in that case IMO

BUT buy a Claydon or Mzuri instead to save you the money in those "good" years

Tomsewell

If you're a "just in case" farmer you'd still have horses, typewriters and err ploughs!!

I think when "the penny drops" as a friend of mine says you'll not be needing a plough again. (In a cereal based rotation)

Sold mine 4 or 5 years ago and won't be buying another! I even think that deep tine tillage does more harm than good, certainly this year where it's destroyed all the worm channels and fibrous roots that have channelled away all the rain water where we have dd'd! My worst wheat is after a tillage train (discs and tines) best bits are direct drilled after osr, beans and linseed.
    Time will tell which system has worked best, Merry Christmas everyone!