Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Massive TB breakout?

Re: Massive TB breakout?

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/19/07/...s-answered.htm

2:01 Linda:
    TB feedlots are something thta is only seen in NI and we do not have them in GB. However they are very similar to the AFU.We have a lot of conditions in place in the AFU to ensure that there is no rik

What's AFU apart from the usual well known.... All F£$^&*$ Up?

An AFU is an acronym for Approved Finishing Unit, where the owner buys / steals cattle from people unfortunate enough to be under TB restriction, under license and sometimes at a substantial discount, and finishes them direct to slaughter.

Thanks, Matt.

I'm stealing this from Facebook who in turn have taken it from the Veterinary Times/TB Free England advert. It perfectly describes the quandary a vet finds himself in.

http://www.tbfreeengland.co.uk/lates...is-lifes-work/

Dear fellow vets,

As a vet Iím trained to treat animals and do my best to ensure the y live long, healthy
    and productive lives. Iím not trained to send animals to slaughter. But more of my time is
    being spent delivering devastating news like this to farmers because of bovine TB.

In the area where I practice in Gloucestershire 78 per cent of the cattle farmers I work
    with have had a TB breakdown in the past two years. Itís a disease you always hope
    youíre never going to find in a herd. When you start getting large numbers of reactors
    you start crossing your fingers and hoping that the next cow, and the next one, will be
    clear because youíre watching a disaster unfold in front of you and you are powerless to
    stop it or provide an y hope or comfort. Youíre essentially watching yourself destroy the
    business of someone who, until that point, youíve been helping by treating and curing their
    animals so they can thrive. Nothing can prepare you for that.

As an illustration of a typical situation just last week I tested a small (90 milkers)
    family dairy farm which had previously been free of TB. The farmerís had a closed herd
    for nine years and heís got no direct neighbours. But he had 37 TB reactors, including all
    his calves aged between six weeks and four months. Heís a 55-year-old man whoís been
    working 16 or 17 hours a day for the last 20 years with his wife to make his business a
    success and it felt like Iíd turned up and just destroyed his lifeís work. He couldnít have
    done any more and there was nothing I could do or say to help him.

Thereís a personal element to these stories as well. These arenít just random cows that youíre
    condemning to death. Theyíre cows that you recognise, cows that youíve been out to calf or to
    treat. I caní t put into words how difficult it is to be the bearer of that kind of news.

The only way TB could have got on to that farmerís farm was through wildlife. And the
    only way anything can be done to help him, and farmers like him, is to have some control
    in t he wildlife reservoir of infection.

Iím supposed to be advising my clients on how to handle TB in cattle but my hands are
    tied because of the reservoir of disease in wildlife. When youíve found a lot of reactors
    your reaction is to look at ways you can help stop the farmer from having to go through
    something like that again. There are a number of things you can suggest like lifting
    feed and water troughs off the ground and fencing food stores. But very often the
    farmers are already doing all these things. Theyíre asking me how they can stop this
    disease and Iím having to tell them thereís nothing more they can do. Thatís why action
    needs to be taken now so we can save the lives of tens of thousands of cows every year
    and give farmers like this a fighting chance.

Rob Darvill
    History is a race between education and catastrophe.H. G. Wells.

Quote Originally Posted by Robot milker View Post
    This is a hike from The Times on Saturday. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health...cle3881497.ece

That story is hidden behind a pay-wall, but quotes a consultant from Liverpool's Heart and Chest Hospital, Prf. Peter Davies, who explains:

" The more TB there is in the world the more the chances are that it's going to spread. This is why we are trying to control TB in cows and other animals. There have been cases in which pets and humans have been infected with the same strain. One possible explanation for the increase is that there is more transmission from wildlife to humans."

A decade ago, the Chief Medical Officer said that if 'tuberculosis is being controlled successfully, there will be a fall in cases of bovine TB involving under-35s bom in the UK.'
    But statistics suggest that Britain has failed to get the disease under control.

Only five cases in British-bom people of that age had been recorded for the entire period 2000-2005, but Public Health
    England (PHE) now confirms 23 infections in British-bom people under the age of 45 between 2005 and 2012.

This story holds a multitude of omissions - some would say sins. Many farmers with lesioned reactors in either cattle, alpacas, sheep, deer or pigs say PHE have not contacted them for screening at all. And if they have, and they have had blood tests (rather than just chest X rays, which may be a bit late) they are counted as 'monitored' or 'watched' but not 'positive' in the stats.

Like our own Defra's TB in other species' statistics, only a positive culture sample (not bloods) is counted.

Also there appears to be a hike in cases labelled m.tuberculosis complex in the PHE data. This is the overall term for bacteria of that type, including but not exclusively bovis. So after drugs are tweaked to accommodate bovis, the data may not be.

And historically the passage of data between AHVLA and Public Health is a one way street. AHVLA have to report cases of TB lesioned animals to PHE, but very rarely is contact made with AHVLA to spoligotype the strain found in humans and run it's cause to ground.. That is incredibly frustrating for the staff at AHVLA, who have to jump through all kinds of data protection hoops to share these vital communications.

Unless of course, that vital information as to increases in zTB in humans from pets or wildlife is not meant to recognised at all?