Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato harvest

wellingtonfarmer1

Question Potato harvest

How is everyone's potato harvest going? Started today and it's not very good....
    Currently averaging 10t/acre.... Heard some reports of growers round here (Herefordshire) averaging 4t/acre

peasantman

Re: Potato harvest

We are not exactly typical potato growers but on our half acre, from what we have done so far,I would think we will get maybe 6 tonnes (12t/acre)where normally we would get double that.

And then 50% by weight are golf ball sized (but nice skins etc not sure what to do with these, pigs or sell as boil whole with skins on) other 50% are nice marketable potatoes that cook very well - Ambo. Just not enough of them.

Late planted in May, never really recovered from swilling rain and lack of sun June and July.

Sandy end of field has done better than the heavy end where the Hoover is (if we dont rip the front end off it) bringing up suitcase-sized lumps of spotted dick.

jfdi

Yields not bad for Breckland sand, skin finish is excellent, currently chasing irrigators across field, rain forecast for Sunday which should help

The Pretender

All smiles so far, but had some absolute rubbish. Need an inch of rain

masseyboy

ours are so poor 2to3t to acre.we have 25 acre and ploughing them in

marsh_bor

piper doing between 15-20t. Never had clods like this before. 2in rain needed. Every row seems to yield differently by a fair amount

honest john

Neighbour coming by yard, on field planted in March. After 1.5 " irrigation trailers FULL of hard clod.
    Cant win, needs a 3" soaking.
    I cant see how they will be any good, Packing.

I am hoping for 2" rain befor we start in October.

devils advocate

Excellent bar the fact that 15% have a growth crack of some type, although even these are selling at 3.50 per 25kg sack. 7.50 for the best stuff.

Kondor cropping at 25 tons plus per acre, the odd slug hole, but think we have those under control now.

Light gritstone (only 8 inch deep) with 10 ton of FYM applied plus 8 cwt/acre of 12-15-20 & foliar feed (is that what caused the growth cracks?)

Happy days. We don't destone & think that has helped, the stones keeping the aeration?

Swede field heavy loam is very poor though.

harrisonion

Haven't started yet, but have irrigated every week this last month. Only just sprayed a couple of fields off, we're about 2 weeks behind on an average year with burn off.

Done some test digs last week all on piper and they are on the small side with several mids I've put a smaller web back on, don't want all those little buggers being left behind when we do start. Yields look average.

Strange thing is the last ones set are the biggest (middle of may) and the smallest set the earliest ( end of April).

Have seen some loads go past today that looked like more clods than potatoes!

Big Vern

have lifted some estima at about 12-13 an acre, some melody at 14,
    spent yesterday opening up some electra that where more dirt/clod than spuds... the sapphire aint ready yet,
    lots of clods though some re breaking up but lots aint, todays rain will certainly help to soften the row tops up, neighbour is struggling to tip trailers more than 3/4 full as there so much clod and dirt, its unbeleivable when i think how wellthe spuds where "put to bed"...
    plus side is the price is rising, and i dont think the buyers will beto fussy...
    chap we know who supplies the bag trade is selling at 10 a bag..

marsh_bor

How much are piper now?

Niels

Have been lifting Victoria's for 3 days until 17mm of rain stopped play. Seems a good yield after all. Around the 50-55t/ha mark. (20t/ac). But that is light and reasonably free draining land. Didn't get any irrigation. Melody and Markies still to follow. Have to be sprayed off first!

Overall it seems a very mixed bag. Some people have nearly nothing, some have loads. Same with onions. Overall there will be slightly less harvest but not as bad as we predicted. Due to 20% less crop in neighbouring Belgium everyone is feeling happy! Can get 150/160 atm off the field.

harrisonion

I have seen several bulkers on the roads around here with foreign plates, guess they are bringing spuds in from holland/Belgium?

Looks like if there's a shortage here they'll soon get them from somewhere else!

I can't see prices going silly,5 a bag should be the average in a normal year to cover costs and allow a tiny profit. I have heard piper are 6-6.50 on the farm?

harrisonion

I've heard some growers are buying in potatoes to make up their contracts. Also heard some are buying foreign potatoes and storing them!

Started on our Agria yesterday looks a heavy crop, but there's a lot of greens mostly striped where the tops of the rows have cracked open.

drumachie1

Started last week quality and yields average marfona all lifted some powdery scab ambassador test digs do not look good with half with powdery !

Fen lad

Quote Originally Posted by drumachie1 View Post
    Started last week quality and yields average marfona all lifted some powdery scab ambassador test digs do not look good with half with powdery !

You do not say if seed or ware crop but interesting you mention Powdery Scab; this disease maybe starting to become an issue with Scottish Seed crops as I have seen PS in a few crops of Markies this season - more than in pevious years and all from Scottish seed - less so in Dutch sourced seed. Just wonder if Powdery Scab will affect Scottish seed industry in similar vein to Blackleg. Any thoughts from north of border welcome.

marsh_bor

Any price updates, a local reckons he is loading piper over the side for 400/t this week nearly double what my bags are anyone know, sticking bags up to 6 is hard work.

spudie

Getting 400/ton,but only digging 8-10 ton/acre. Fields to wet to carry harvester now. Will this rain ever stop!

Big Vern

speaking to several diffeerent folk at the blue force working day in Lincs to day and it would appear that a big spud buyer (sounds like summat you might add to a cheese sandwich) is being very pedantic and calling shortfalls in contracts. on the flip side of this they are also being very "choosey" with what they will accept on a contract Quality wise.. but appear to want any amount of free buy..
    hmm seem to want it all ways..

JCA

Quality poor so far, finding packers slow to pay. Could be a dodgy year if packers dont have the right finance behind them.
    As for powdery scab in seed, we did have some in markies seed last year on virgin soil. rainfall last year is similar to this year so not totally suprising, it can have many hosts. Markies look clean this year, will lift them next week so get a better idea then.
    No 400 here yet :cry:

Pedders

only a couple of acres of Piper left to lift .. we'll be on 250-300 for the last few tonnes merchants are desperate

seb

Tried to start on a dryish field today, but too wet.

Pissed down again this morning, although its sunny now.

Doubtful if we can go before wednesday now, even if it stays dry overhead.

Whoever invented wheel drive deserves a knighthood.

harrisonion

A big potato grower up the road said they would be asking 300 ton for piper bagged today. He's had several customers trying to increase their orders and a few new ones asking last week. He says he's up to his maximum amount per week that he wants to sell. I would guess he sells about 300t per week.

harrisonion

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    Tried to start on a dryish field today, but too wet.

Pissed down again this morning, although its sunny now.

Doubtful if we can go before wednesday now, even if it stays dry overhead.

Whoever invented wheel drive deserves a knighthood.
    Had 2mm this morning.

Yes agree with you regarding Hyd wheel drive, a sad day when you need to be using on the 1st Oct though!

Pitting they don't make a Hyd wheel drive trailed sprayer.

PDR-Draughting

Wow 300/t and yield up to 20t/a, no wonder the rents are over 300/a

Big Vern

Quote Originally Posted by PDR-Draughting View Post
    Wow 300/t and yield up to 20t/a, no wonder the rents are over 300/a

yeah right.. they aint 300 a ton every year, and they dont yeild 20t an ac every year..

they cost nothing to buy... you just chuck any old seed in the ground..
    they dont need any looking after.. just the odd bit of spray...
    and they magic them selves from their immaculate soft beds into a nice 1 ton box straight into a cold store that also cost nothing to run.. along the way any spuds that have the audacity to have a poor finish, bruise, growth crack, slug bite, silver scab or some other mark that your buyer wont want will chuck it self into a nice box marked stock feed which you will then sell to the nearest stock farmer.. of course you wont have any stockfeed as your spuds will be perfect....

then having held them all in cheap to run cold store you release them to the spud short buyer in april may next year when he/she is gagging for a well stored potate or 3 and they cant wait to pay you massive sums for your quality produce....

oh hang on no what the moon isnt made of cheese.....

only jesting..

harrisonion

They've probably cost 200 a ton for blight sprays!

jfdi

Was there blight your way, they've been harvested now haven't they?

harrisonion

Quote Originally Posted by jfdi View Post
    Was there blight your way, they've been harvested now haven't they?
    Sorry not sure what you mean?

Sprayed them 22 times for blight.

seb

One of my regular bag Piper customers who we usually serve from mid November rang me today to see what I was doing.

Supplies are very very tight, and prices can only go one way.

not looking like being able to dig for at least a couple of days.

Some good crops, some written off a couple of months ago.

Supermarkets will not get it their way this year, even with imports coming in.

10000 a load here we come.

Make sure your customer can Pay.