Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Potato harvest

harrisonion

Re: Potato harvest

How can you plan for a business where prices are so volatile?

I just sold a lorry load of potatoes for 4000 more than the same load on the same day last year.

Who actually sets the price? Is it some secretive group of people somewhere? Or is it really the customers/buyers across the nation?

JCA

"Who sets the price?". A very good question that I have asked many a time and never recieved an answer for. All I get is "its what the trade is paying" but who are they? no one is willing to pay any more than the rest, so who puts price up? There is always a continuity of supply through existing contracts and growers needing cash flow. A few people holding back will not influence market that much.

It does feel like there are some people who sit round a table, divide typical growing cost by expected yield, throw a tenner at it and that will do. Maybe a bit cynical these days.

As for going forward, the best chance for uk growers is keep planted area similar to this year or back 5%. To many variables of weather and european market, a couple % oversupply and packers are going to want their money back, prices round your ankles again.

Pedders

Quote Originally Posted by harrisonion View Post
    How can you plan for a business where prices are so volatile?

I just sold a lorry load of potatoes for 4000 more than the same load on the same day last year.

Who actually sets the price? Is it some secretive group of people somewhere? Or is it really the customers/buyers across the nation?
    well I think you have to structure your potato business so you can cope with low priced years then you can still be in the game when the (very) occasional good year comes along and cash in ...remember 76 followed a good year in 75 ..so it doesn't always follow that the next year is a disaster ..I reckon more than a few growers will have had such a gut full this year they won't be in a rush to increase acres despite current high prices ..so take short stocks going into next season maybe a late wet spring and hot dry summer and anything could happen

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    Anyone and his dog can grow potatoes now that machinery is so good and irrigation is available. So they do and guess what the market is over supplied. Farmers allways seem to say I can work longer than you and do it cheaper than you. Strange business, working for nothing.
    Yes but can any man finance the job. You need 6000 ha now, with out storage and profit.
    So i grow 100 ha 600 k costs. Its a very big risk. We got them up with one day to spare, we got them planted with one day to spare before the killer rain.
    There is easier ways to lose money.
    You need to be brave to have a go.
    My advice is to cut back 10% if not we will give all the profits back to the trade next year.
    OK seed is short and the ground is in a hellish state but still a nice spring could turn things around yet.

Rafterman

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    Yes but can any man finance the job. You need 6000 ha now, with out storage and profit.
    So i grow 100 ha 600 k costs. Its a very big risk. We got them up with one day to spare, we got them planted with one day to spare before the killer rain.
    There is easier ways to lose money.
    You need to be brave to have a go.
    My advice is to cut back 10% if not we will give all the profits back to the trade next year.
    OK seed is short and the ground is in a hellish state but still a nice spring could turn things around yet.

Hope so. Been raining all day today, in the workshop going through the planter, ready for next season. Hardly inspiring looking at the flooded fields.