Thread: Simple field mapping system?

massey_matt

Simple field mapping system?

Are there any systems available on the market which are just a basic model.

Im looking for a system which can be used easily for just field mapping.

i.e. pull into field, press a button, drive the field boundry, and it calculates the area?

Tried a TopCon system but found it over complicated just for field mapping.

For a customer wanting a simple, user friendly. Guy is 'experienced' and doesnt want to be messing around with setting new jobs/ field names etc.

any info appreceiated.

Matt

Steevo

Re: Simple field mapping system?

The original LH Agro lightbar did that I think.

massey_matt

Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    The original LH Agro lightbar did that I think.

I presume a boundry offset/ implement width can be inputted?

Clive

Download free app for iPhone / iPad called precission earth, it will do what you want for free

foxbox

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Download free app for iPhone / iPad called precission earth, it will do what you want for free
    I'm betting that, an android equivalent or a PC based version will do what the chap wants far more cheaply and just as accurately as a guidance system type set up but perhaps isn't as "older person friendly" as just pressing a button.

Another option which may work would be a simple area meter type set up which records when his machine is working but not where it is, it'd be a lot cheaper but would require him to do the job before he knew how much he had done.

Alistair_Nelson

There's a free download app for iPhones and androids from Farmworks, Phil templeton posted a link on here a few weeks ago somewhere on here. Try that it's free which is a good start!

Robert Ramsay

Try Trimble connected farm app. Free for android and I Phone

Alistair_Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ramsay View Post
    Try Trimble connected farm app. Free for android and I Phone
    Thats the one!!

Brisel

You can do it from the comfort of your keyboard with Google Earth, Bing or if you want to splash out, the mapping module in Gatekeeper.

Yes, the old Agrocom/Sirius lightbars would do area measurement too.

philtempleton

Free mapping app link is at the bottom of this page http://www.connectedfarm.com/, or you can get it from both the App and Play stores.

If you click on the Log In/Register button the web account is free too, so you can store and view the data that you upload too.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by philtempleton View Post
    Free mapping app link is at the bottom of this page http://www.connectedfarm.com/, or you can get it from both the App and Play stores.

If you click on the Log In/Register button the web account is free too, so you can store and view the data that you upload too.
    useful looking app - is there a way to get data created in it to gatekeeper though or just Farmworks ?

would be good to get geotagged photo's into a gatekeeper layer

massey_matt

I will try the free app and see what its like.

I think the customer is going to have to 'modernise' if he wants any mapping system.

Hes a contractor and is wanting field sizes for foraging etc.

Brisel

I don't blame him. It used to be remarkable how many fields mysteriously "grew" when I was spraying after the customer had told us the size of the field for the purposes of expensive operations like silaging or combining.

In the end I just went on their recommendations of field size & if the sprayer ran out with 5 acres to go, tough. We all knew who the p1ss taking customers were & how big the fields really were. Not smart when the same contractor had GPS kit! Myopic idiots.

philtempleton

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    useful looking app - is there a way to get data created in it to gatekeeper though or just Farmworks ?

would be good to get geotagged photo's into a gatekeeper layer
    Nope. Farm Works app for Connected Farm service.

massey_matt

Downloaded the trimble app, will try it when it stops raining!

AFS

Quote Originally Posted by philtempleton View Post

Could you import it into AFS View?

philtempleton

No. The viewers' functionality is solely to directly import console data for review. No additional services will be provided in them. For that you need to have the paid-for, fully licenced software.

AFS

ok, so if i went fully licensed i could import this info. good to know, thanks Phil.

massey_matt

Ive used the commected farm app, is it possible to set offsets for boundries?

Cant seem to find it on mine although it mentions it in the FAQ section.

philtempleton

I guess the documentation is slightly pre-emptive, but it will be coming in a future release.

massey_matt

Good to know as i dont fancy fastening my iphone to the edge of implements!!

Any idea when the updated version is available?

philtempleton

Afraid not, sorry. Not sure I could comment if I did have advance notice though.