Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon boilers

rogerm

Dragon boilers

We are desperately wanting to install our Dragon D20 & 17000l accumulator tank

Anyone with a similar set-up, please can you tell me (as Dragon won't !)

What spec/type shunt pump are you using ?

What spec/type pump from Dragon to accumulator ?

What spec/type pump from accumulator to Uponor ? a level run of approx 75 m Uponor (2 x 50mm) in one pipe

Many thanks

RGT

Wink Re: Dragon boilers

Its an unhill struggle I can tell you?

I have had quotes AT LAST, and knowing nothing, but reading all quotes, get a simular picture of whats needed as my proposed system simular to yours Roger.

Set up communicating pipe work in 3 between Dragon and accumulator.
    Fitting twin head 40/80 UPS 3 phase pump.
    Fitting a 25/55 shunt pump between flow and return for anti return cooling.
    Fitting a 500 litre heating expansion vessel.

Taken off quote, but single phase here Electrics ?

I am using Flexenergy as deal direct/exellent service and next day delivery.
    Have bought the twin insulated flow and return 32 idmm and 40 idmm pipes and installed myself ready for qualified person to plumb in-hopefully?

Most firms will supply these pipes but only buy direct them selves and double up on it for you?

Agree if there was a list or map of installed Dragons about would be helpfull if their owners may let us have a look as to get heads around it all, and I am sure more would then be sold as at present it all new to us ?

rogerm

Re: Dragon boilers

I've got the pump answers now from Dragon - I hope
    a Grundfos 1560 for shunt pump
    a 14,500 l/hr pump for boiler/tank
    9,500 l/hr to Uponor
    has anyone used "Rauvitherm" from Rehau, easier to use than Flex, I don't know how it compares with Uponor

Richard

I have a small B4 working for a year now if you want to have a look.

Gonso

One in Norfolk. Did most of plumbing ourselves. Works ever so well. Its a B30 and we don't have an accumulator tank. You can always tell a straw boiler user as we have no eyebrows........can't resist a peek in the small door!

Ours is 80m away. Used 2300l/m domestic pump on 38mm Uponor. If on low heat requirement very oftern only run it at 980l/m lowest setting. We don't have a shunt pump just run the return into a 3m length of 100mm which acts as a mixing chamber. You should have a 100mm bottom outlet. Ours is an open vented system, header tank etc.

Been going for 4 years.

RGT

Fantastic to get a few that are running on here?
    Any closer to me?

rogerm

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I have a small B4 working for a year now if you want to have a look.
    thanks but I've found a closer one nearer to home

RGT

Three bought them by us but no one got them running yet??????????????

RGT

Smile Re: Dragon boilers

Good article in Farmers weekly last week with a Dragon D20 AND getting the RHI ?

mikeP

We also have a Dragon in Suffolk but the large 450 Kw which we use 50 - 60 osr hesston bales for 4-6 wks to dry 1800 T on floor store. Now done 3 seasons and has broken even this year. Have no accumulator just 2 x 8' x 4' heat exchangers which warm the air intake by 9 deg.

RGT

My Mate's got his Dragon B6 going at long last and their house is hot like the bahamas???

only using 4-6 small straw bales a day?

Accumalator around the 80-100 degrees c ? Happy Chap.

chippy

I think we will be ordering a B20 off dragon heat soon! John seems a very nice genuine guy and was very helpful when he came to see us. He recomends we use a 20,000 litre stainless steal wagon tanker as the acummulator that we have lieing around and spray it with insulation so thats saved us 5k over getting a 7000 litre tank. By using this we could heat the water up with roughly 3 burns and not need to do it again for 4 days which sounds great. Anyone got one up in the north that i can go see?

RGT

Question Re: Dragon boilers

HARD TO FIND ANYONE.
    I bought a B20 and still waiting year on to plumb up.
    A friend locally 3 yrs with a D20 ?
    Another friend has a B6 and thats up and running 11 months -Good?

The recommended accumalator tank supplied me with my B20 is ONLY 3375ltrs Also Dragon built.

They say the ownus is with the purchaser??
    No way- they-Like you came and stayed here so know the proposed system first hand so the ownus is WITH THEM I would say???

There was an article in the Farmers Weekly a while ago with a D20-e-mailed them lots of times -did not even reply- some guest house,set up by exmoor?

kennyo

They offered very little help with ours!!

Rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    I think we will be ordering a B20 off dragon heat soon! John seems a very nice genuine guy and was very helpful when he came to see us. He recomends we use a 20,000 litre stainless steal wagon tanker as the acummulator that we have lieing around and spray it with insulation so thats saved us 5k over getting a 7000 litre tank. By using this we could heat the water up with roughly 3 burns and not need to do it again for 4 days which sounds great. Anyone got one up in the north that i can go see?
    Theres one at Scarboro, Dragon, and an ex brewery tank as an acummulator, i could put you in contact if it is not too far to travel, worth the fuel to travel to iron out any pifalls, i would be a bit dubious about how long your accumulator tank is going to keep hot, 4 days, ?. ours doesn't hold heat that long, depends how much you are taking out of it.

RGT

The nextgen event at Stoneleigh earlier this year organiser sent an e-mail out the other day with a note to say there was going to be a renewables location booklet available soon for around 10-anyone bought one as may show location of different applications in the country that we may be able to visit?

RGT

Ours is up and running and very hot - at last?

J_B

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    So ... did you sort your RHI?

It's easy when you know how!

RGT

Nearly-see PM

J_B

Nearly-see PM
    See reply

rogerm

what temp are you achieving on flow & return ?

we're nearly there with ours, got boiler & tank up to 60C now, just waiting for plumber to connect heat exchangers at houses now

lost your eyebrows yet ? :lolk:

RGT

Close to loseing them, when you open small door careful when glance in?
    60 out and 58 back seems average?
    Dry rape straw goes in hours, oat straw and outside stored bales seem to burn slower and hotter for longer?
    Did you move/sort yours Rog?

rogerm

Close to loseing them, when you open small door careful when glance in?
    60 out and 58 back seems average?
    Dry rape straw goes in hours, oat straw and outside stored bales seem to burn slower and hotter for longer?
    Did you move/sort yours Rog?
    had a few near misses with the little door
    moved pump & pipes, problems solved, it's minor things like trialling pump speeds & stat settings
    loading with about 6 pallets at a time, will know more when we start using heat

Bumble Bee

I lost my eyebrows about 18 months ago...and my eye lashes, nasal hair and the front of the hair on top of my head. All the rest of the hair on my head, even behind my head curled up into a sort of afro. The smell was unbelievable. It stung a bit too

It was a windy day and the dampers were chattering a bit. I think that this allowed enough air in to gas it up a bit. When I opened the small door, a bit of smoke came out, then it got drawn back in again. A few seconds later as I was peering through the door a ball of flame came out.

Please be careful.

Bumble Bee

Bobthebuilder

sounds like they need some kind of window to look in rather than a door HSE

RGT

Exclamation Re: Dragon boilers

Just don't look in -stand back and get a torch to light up if full of smoke-as you say its the flash-burn- you got to be warry of ???

giles1

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble Bee View Post
    I lost my eyebrows about 18 months ago...and my eye lashes, nasal hair and the front of the hair on top of my head. All the rest of the hair on my head, even behind my head curled up into a sort of afro. The smell was unbelievable. It stung a bit too

It was a windy day and the dampers were chattering a bit. I think that this allowed enough air in to gas it up a bit. When I opened the small door, a bit of smoke came out, then it got drawn back in again. A few seconds later as I was peering through the door a ball of flame came out.

Please be careful.

Bumble Bee
    That is a classic backdraft,as in the film,though you probably didn't look as heroic as Kurt Russell or William Baldwin after it happened because you weren't wearing a helmet or carrying an axe............

masseybreaker

got a b6 up here connected to two houses if you need to have a look rogerm

rogerm

Quote Originally Posted by masseybreaker View Post
    got a b6 up here connected to two houses if you need to have a look rogerm
    thanks, our D20 is fired up, we're just waiting for plumbers to finish off at houses end

we used our dairy engineer to do the "big" plumbing at the boiler/accumulator tank end, much cheaper than a plumber

RGT

Exclamation Re: Dragon boilers

Mine only been going a week and all the paint has come off middle front big door and little door gone white and peeled off?
    Anyone else's like this as don't think going to last long like that?
    I know it'going to get hot but it will rust like hell won't it?