Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mf 54s

.Jack

mf 54s

I have heard that the mf 54 models are very noisy in the cab
    any other knowledge of this?
    who wan't noise in the cab now days when the phone/wireless are operating!
    thanks
    jack

raiderz

Re: mf 54s

Sat in one today and was very quiet, about the same as the mf64's. Took a call as well no problems with hearing it or the other person hearing me.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by .Jack View Post
    I have heard that the mf 54 models are very noisy in the cab
    any other knowledge of this?
    who wan't noise in the cab now days when the phone/wireless are operating!
    thanks
    jack
    Why not try one for yourself and give us an opinion based on that. They are noisier than the 6400 series, but that range is exceptionally quiet. But if the lowest noise is an absolute priority, the two ranges give you a choice from the same brand.

raiderz

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Why not try one for yourself and give us an opinion based on that.
    +1

foxbox

Our first 54 was a "normal" cab, very similar to those on the 62 range in terms of noise and not an unpleasant place to be at all. Our current machine has the sun-roof for extra visibility during loader work etc and cab suspension, it is a lot louder than the previous machine. The strange thing is that the extra noise doesn't seem to come from the top of the cab, it's transmission noise coming from below. The 4wd engaged is particularly noticeable and unfortunately at an unpleasant pitch, I have tinnitus and have taken to using ear plugs in the cab to make things easier. This was never a problem in the old 54 but having said that I still wouldn't swap back as the new one is such an improvement in other areas.

.Jack

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Our first 54 was a "normal" cab, very similar to those on the 62 range in terms of noise and not an unpleasant place to be at all. Our current machine has the sun-roof for extra visibility during loader work etc and cab suspension, it is a lot louder than the previous machine. The strange thing is that the extra noise doesn't seem to come from the top of the cab, it's transmission noise coming from below. The 4wd engaged is particularly noticeable and unfortunately at an unpleasant pitch, I have tinnitus and have taken to using ear plugs in the cab to make things easier. This was never a problem in the old 54 but having said that I still wouldn't swap back as the new one is such an improvement in other areas.
    ear plugs on a modern tractor
    jd/nh are not as bad as that so who would want to change?

Cowabunga

I have heard that the moon is made of green cheese but until I see it for myself I will not believe it.

Who would want to change? You perhaps? Or is that, perhaps, a rhetorical question?

My 5445 is a nice pleasant place to be. There is a small amount of noise from the hydraulic pump, a whine that is noticeable with the rear window open, but that is the case with all gear type hydraulic pumps and the MF uses a bog-standard one, the same as every other brand and model that use such a pump.

foxbox

It wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if I didn't have tinnitus, but the frequency of the transmission in 4wd is spot on to go right through me unfortunately. I'm happy in there for a few hours flicking it on and off, bale cart was fine for example, but when I get to drilling the plugs will be in for a long day that's for sure. Even without the tinnitus though this cab is noisier than the previous 54 we ran.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    It wouldn't be anywhere near as bad if I didn't have tinnitus, but the frequency of the transmission in 4wd is spot on to go right through me unfortunately. I'm happy in there for a few hours flicking it on and off, bale cart was fine for example, but when I get to drilling the plugs will be in for a long day that's for sure. Even without the tinnitus though this cab is noisier than the previous 54 we ran.
    Can't say I notice hardly any extra noise in 4wd. It may be that you are indeed especially sensitive to a certain frequency.

kmac

The dash light is burned out for 4wd on my 5455, I have to turn and watch for marks to see if its engaged, there is no pitch change in the cab. What tires do you have fitted? Is the lead % setup within acceptable range?

I've been told the Dyna4 cabs with no mechanical linkage punching through the cab is quieter than my speedshift model.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    The dash light is burned out for 4wd on my 5455, I have to turn and watch for marks to see if its engaged, there is no pitch change in the cab. What tires do you have fitted? Is the lead % setup within acceptable range?

I've been told the Dyna4 cabs with no mechanical linkage punching through the cab is quieter than my speedshift model.
    Less transmission noise but, depending on model, more exhaust noise when pulling hard. Overall a quieter cab than some but not the quietest available. A 64xx with ccls will be noticeably quieter. Whisper quiet in my opinion.

raiderz

Less transmission noise but, depending on model, more exhaust noise when pulling hard. Overall a quieter cab than some but not the quietest available. A 64xx with ccls will be noticeably quieter. Whisper quiet in my opinion.
    I have 2 64xx's and was in a new 54xx yesterday at a dealers and I would say that the cab noise was comparable with them. Go find an MF dealer that has a new 54xx and a 64xx in stock and ask them for a try out to compare.

col555

I think it comes down to the engines, the 4cyl sisu engines are noisy as hell and sound like a tank or summat.. the perkins 6cyl are smooth quiet engines in comparison.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by raiderz View Post
    I have 2 64xx's and was in a new 54xx yesterday at a dealers and I would say that the cab noise was comparable with them. Go find an MF dealer that has a new 54xx and a 64xx in stock and ask them for a try out to compare.
    I've driven literally dozens of them as well as owning and running my own.
    Theres not a vast difference in noise as both are quiet compared to some other brands and models available, as you know yourself.
    The big difference between the two models is the transmission and the electronics which are more sophisticated in the 64xx allowing far more clever options to be added.
    The 54xx appeals to those that want a well specified modern tractor that does the job with a pleasing, roomy and easily cleaned durable cab interior. You will not be afraid of carrying the dog in the 54xx and there is room for him to sit between you and the door and he will not tear any foam off the cladding. The passenger seat, although basic, is also not a bad place to sit and it doesn't interfere with access.

They have their faults but they all do. There is always room for improvement which is why there will be a new and improved models always to come periodically until hell freezes over. In the meantime they have got what they have got and, I've said it before, of all the sophisticated tractors that I've got on the farm of various brands, all bought new and kept long term, the 5445 D4 tier3 is most people's favourite, even ahead of the 7490 [which is my own favourite by a small margin].

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by col555 View Post
    I think it comes down to the engines, the 4cyl sisu engines are noisy as hell and sound like a tank or summat.. the perkins 6cyl are smooth quiet engines in comparison.
    The exhaust noise across the valley when the exhaust is pointing your way is, well, 'impressive'.
    The engine itself isn't actually noisy and the exhaust exit noise on the 5470 in particular is down to it not seeming to have a silencer.
    From the driver's seat it is not particularly noisy but you can hear the note change markedly when she is put under load. Some people like that and some don't.

I think the technical term for the exhaust noise when pulling hard is "drive-by noise". Yes, they could easily 'improve' on that by fitting the 6470 exhaust on it. But many people love it as it is.

.Jack

The exhaust noise across the valley when the exhaust is pointing your way is, well, 'impressive'.
    The engine itself isn't actually noisy and the exhaust exit noise on the 5470 in particular is down to it not seeming to have a silencer.
    From the driver's seat it is not particularly noisy but you can hear the note change markedly when she is put under load. Some people like that and some don't.

I think the technical term for the exhaust noise when pulling hard is "drive-by noise". Yes, they could easily 'improve' on that by fitting the 6470 exhaust on it. But many people love it as it is.
    Here Cowabunga
    are you a Salesman for these?

Cowabunga

Here Cowabunga
    are you a Salesman for these?
    No.

Rob

.jack..... he's not but sounds like you may sell the opposition.......

Massey mike

What are the new range like? E.g 5450 5440 etc.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Massey mike View Post
    Very similar to the previous range superficially. They do have a lighter version of the D4 transmission and new rear axle, but they work like the old ones and the cab is almost identical. The PTO speed choice is a bit different, but not much. The PUH is an odd looking thing but has the advantage of not needing the three point linkage to work, because it lifts and extends on one spool valve only.

The engines smoke a bit when the revs are blipped, so don't be surprised by that. The engines are mechanically injected on these while from the 5445 up they have common-rail 4-valve technology. These 'new' ones are only available with a low nose while the ones with a '5' at the end give a choice of bonnet styles.

Apart from that, I know nothing.

CLUNK

got a 5465 and the cab is nice and quiet hell of a lot better than the claas it replaced

raiderz

Quote Originally Posted by Massey mike View Post
    I spoke to 2 MF fitters and they both told me the back end looks remarkably like a small Fendt.....

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by raiderz View Post
    I spoke to 2 MF fitters and they both told me the back end looks remarkably like a small Fendt.....
    Yes it does. Round axle with multi-disc brakes inside, which I believe have expanding plates inside with an external actuator, similar to what a Coventry built tractor had. Inboard epicyclics though.

humfy

I've just bought one, quietest cab I've been in, not as quiet as a car but definitely in league of say a transit van etc. ye can comfortably be on phone etc.

Nice to know what that hi pitched whine is tho , ie hydraulic pump.

Don't suppose any of you guys have a spare drawbar you'd like to sell me to fit it? Drop me a line if you got one lyin in a shed or not used. Cheers

raiderz

Quote Originally Posted by humfy View Post
    I've just bought one, quietest cab I've been in, not as quiet as a car but definitely in league of say a transit van etc. ye can comfortably be on phone etc.

Nice to know what that hi pitched whine is tho , ie hydraulic pump.

Don't suppose any of you guys have a spare drawbar you'd like to sell me to fit it? Drop me a line if you got one lyin in a shed or not used. Cheers
    Didn't it come with one?

Cowabunga

Should be under the fuel tank.

foxbox

I'm amazed they put it there, I guess the cab suspension set up stops it sitting over the rear axle as it used to but that is a really awkward place to get at. Assuming the tractor isn't wet, you haven't driven through any muck in the last month and you have loads of dry concrete it's still an arse of a place to get at. We've just left ours in the shed.

raiderz

One of my 6400's drawbar's is just laid somewhere accessible as its a pain in the rear unhooking it from under the fuel tank, surely to god MF could have thought of a better place. I remember seeing someone on here putting a pic on of a bracket he made on the right hand side near the exhaust to slide the drawbar into, much better idea.

humfy

Under fuel tank! Last place I'd of thot to look. They usually in a holder about linkage area.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by humfy View Post
    Under fuel tank! Last place I'd of thot to look. They usually in a holder about linkage area.
    Did you find it?
    Agreed, a very silly place to put it. Mine was removed once and remains removed, in the shed when not needed.