Thread: DD and Borage

Andrew Kerr

DD and Borage

Anyone ever DD,d Borage in the spring, disc or tine drill?

martian

Re: DD and Borage

It comes up years afterwards, from whatever depth. I'd imagine a disc drill would be perfect though

fred

Edward Dale is your man , we still have evening primrose appearing after 15 years

shakerator

Quote Originally Posted by martian View Post
    It comes up years afterwards, from whatever depth. I'd imagine a disc drill would be perfect though
    would it though in no till?

Andrew Kerr

Have grown it in the past but not using DD to sow it..Secret is to not invert soil after harvest, keep it near the surface and chit it.
    Ally Max does a good job on survivors in wheat.

Any one DD it in?

martian

We were min-tilling when we last grew borage (8 years ago), so the seed was spread through the top two or three inches. It is still coming up in land that hasn't been moved for at least a couple of years, which leads me to think you'd have no trouble dding it in and it getting away well in the spring. We've still got cracks in the ground even after 25mm rain on Sunday (I hope our friends in the North don't get too depressed at this news), so if we had a crop of borage, a good proportion of the many shed seeds would find themselves buried ready to pop up next time we wanted to grow rape. It's a horribly vigorous weed, even the slugs find it too hairy to eat.