Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you resorted toPloughing/combination drilling drilling

CESSNA

Have you resorted toPloughing/combination drilling drilling

I am interested to know if many of you farming heavy land have resorted to the ploughing /combination drilling system this Autumn,even though it is expensive and slow. Slow progress being better than "NO" progress.

Clive

Re: Have you resorted toPloughing/combination drilling drilling

lots of land around here being ploughed that normally is not

I think they are mad personally wet top and bottom now and looks a right mess to deal with that will take many dry weeks to be fit for a drill

Mr Bean

Too wet around here for a tractor to venture into a field to do anything. The only fields that don't have some standing water on them are ones that have a slope from top to bottom.

TC

Just bought an old combi drill and about to start next week.
    All rotation out the window and will go where we can. Otherwise there will be no winter crop making 2 years of low income.

Wombat

Don't think you'd pull one at the moment just smear the top to nothing. Will try and get a tine through the surface this next week and see if it will dry up.

Right-arm fast

Too wet to do any ploughing here, or anything for that matter.

Seat Right Back

We have been ploughing although parked up at the moment

Rape stubbles triod well taking out combine wheelings but into some cereal stubbles it only cut slots , called in contractor to plough the worse and it dried and weathered very well during the last 10 days of dry weather

We realise that the ground will probably be to tender for the heavy cultipress and dragged the tilthmaster out of the nettles and serviced it
    So that's the working down done , drilling , ummm , not looking like a baddy year is it , have even considered spinning seed on and then see if the 6m grass harrow will work the seed in
    But not panicking yet given a dry week or two I know we can do a lot of work

Krampeman

Definitely will be ploughing and combi drilling 45ha out of 800ha. Then there is another 100ha coming out of spuds which we'll take a view on at the time but we rather not plough it and prefer to Sumo/Shakerate it. The rest has been worked with a Sumo and waiting for a drill. We are armed and ready with 14m of drill and fert spinner if required.

static

Too wet to plough. Not worth buggering up land I have spend a long time getting "right" when I can leave it be. Some here that will dry will be ploughed on the frost. The rest will wait until spring. And if it isnt right in spring, it will wait until summer. Good blackgrass chit if nothing else.

Big Vern

i think "we" (at home) may have to wait to see what the weather does..
    i dint think the ploughwill come out BUT
    if it stays wet then the vaddy will leave to much smearing.. as long as the sumo can attack the stubble then the vaddy will drill it,, if nessecary the combi drill can work straight into sumoed ground as it has before.

the problem for us will be the spud feilds.. at present some have lying water and gert ruts... i and some still have the spuds in..f they will dry and work (an its a big if then either drill will be used.. they may yet need to be ploughed and mauled in.. i know times pressing on but theres plenty of drilling days (potential drilling days left yet..)

thats assuming that the weather comes good...

shakerator

ploughing for winter barley

ploughing after sugar beet

rape stubbles just letting them grow. to be honest if it doesnt dry out i dont even want to try with slug populations. 3t high quality spring wheat me thinks. ive never really grown a first wheat in the spring before- most of it is mauled into battle of the somme like conditions, post beet.

and a lot of our beans will be staying in the shed for seed.

Richard

Lots of ploughing here, heavy land is quite hard underneath, its mainly as a blackgrass control measure in most cases.

possumbility

Isn't it illegal to spin dressed seed?

agricontract

Do they have dressed seed police :lolk:
    Be hard to prove anyway as the dressing will prob wash off

Oldmacdonald

Illegal and irresponsible.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by possumbility View Post
    it is but if you incorporate straight away would that be ok ??

Seat Right Back

Quote Originally Posted by possumbility View Post
    If aimed at me then I did say harrow it in , wouldn't leave it on the surface,
    Maybe the only way we get to establish this autumn some of our ground

JimF

We've ploughed and PH/Combi drilled 75ac of winter barley.
    After the floods at the beginning of last week, our grassland fields were standing with water/floods every where. The ploughed land was not.
    Ploughing seems to have 'lifted' the ground and allowed it to drain. The ploughed fields are not very sloped so minimal run off either.
    Grassland seems to be 'sealed' after either livestock grazing or silage and slurry machinery working this summer.

Panzer III

Where ever the plough has been used here this past month, the ground has turned over leaving a moist but surprisingly friable soil that given a day or 3 to haze has worked down well.

Reason being that all the soil here has slumped during the last 6 months of rainfall but ironically this has left it so 'consolidated' that there isnt any room for excess moisture in the much reduced pore space. There certainly hasnt been any summer cracking whatsoever. If it wasn't ploughed over it wouldn't dry, end of story.

OSR - Discaerated in w/ liquid fert. Bit of a slug scare at emergence, but looking ok'ish now.
    1st wheats all rowed up! - Discaerated / combi drill.
    2nd wheat land -being ploughed as we speak.
    3rd wheat - ploughed, combi sown last week, but after the deluge it looks like its capped badly. Think 'vibrating poker in concrete' and you'll get the mental picture

As for spinning it on, did it in on sodden headlands in 2000. The worst yield I've ever had (2t acre). Better to leave it unsown imho than make a token effort.

Seat Right Back

Panzer , spinning onto compacted headlands I would of been happy with 2 t/acre

But if done right it can be very successful , it's just. Finding the right machine to cover the seed up

Don't forget we are in the barren midlands playing with crappy soils w hitch are very unforgiving

CrevisbigX

Its the future like garlic bread

yellow belly

my heavy land after beans will still be dded

just needs a day or two without rain .top drying out well in places yesterday even with rain on friday night

land after rape cultivated in august will drill well also

i cannot see the point in ploughing heavy land for 2nd wheat when there is plenty of time till spring for beans or linseed and a first wheat in 2014

the best 2nd wheat in the past has always come from land cultivated in august
    ploughing land now needs some luck with the weather for a descent yeald
    good loamy medium or light land would be no problem

i have resorted to the plough before after some rain and if i had waited could have done the job as well with out all the cost and work

further north or west may be different

Seat Right Back

busy busy busy , plough , plough plough

in fairness its not turning over to bad , can see why the trio didnt like it , ground has slumped and was , will never dry out , it should now hopefully

Jim Bullock

SRB....ye of little faith...give it a few days and you could have "Mazuried/Claydoned" the lot...(hope I am right...)...
    I have seen a bit of liver ploughed up locally this afternoon so will be cancelling my plough parts from Spaldings and will try and sit tight until it drys up...We had 85mms here in Malvern...60mm in Upton-upon-Severn...and I understand that east of Evesham you guys in the "Sahara" only had about 35mm so no wonder you are getting your ploughs out...
    On a serious note...I just wish we hadn't got out the Flexitine to level out some of the combine tracks...where we did nothing we will be drilling in the next few days...but where we moved soil...March 2013..???

The crofter

Ploughing/combi drilling still really the only game in town up here, in any kind of land.

Min till is done here generally on an oportunist basis, or at a specific point in the rotation. I.e. ww after osr wth stubbles cultivated/pressed a couple of times before the "go fast drill", or drilling osr with a subsoiler.

IMO our window of oportunity, even in a good year, is not big enough for min till to be the rule rather than the exception.

So we will continue to resort to the plough/press/combidrill.

Seat Right Back

we had 61 mm JB , I have done to much damage with the combine to expect a claydon or mzuri to get to the bottom of the wheelings , the odd field we will be trying to do a lot less .

we have had a mixture of problems which all put into the mixing pot have made things difficult , the first one is a change of combine , way to heavy for the tyre equipment it came on , although spent some time trying to get it on wider tyres nothing could be done for this harvest , the next problem was that the machine is a rotary , I was told by the good and the great on here that I would have no problems baling straw , we had a bloody awfull time trying to get enough straw to put in a heap for ourselves , halfway through harvest we could see that there were problems and we had to withdraw from a few straw sales thankfully we did it early enough and they managed to get sorted out but the big problem was that in our need to put straw in a row we were still swathing when we should have been chopping so even when the baler had been through half the straw was still left in a swath , stuff of nightmares , we saw it last year when we demod a axial flow , hoped a cts wouldnt be quite so bad , hey ho , [drum 650, concave 38 to 40 , rotor 450]

so even before we had the rain last week i knew that I had screwed any chance a dd ing, just too much straw in strips across the field , were we chopped , no problem but each field had a mish mash of swathing and chopping

Clive

Mark - don't loose faith in the CTS for straw quality - everything smashed up straw this year, CTS is normally fine set correctly

the lexicon mashed it to nothing here - I have never had that problem in 8 years of using them

Spud

My way forward here (ATM anyway)
    Light land for w barley, plough press combi with suffolks
    Heavy Land in good nick, (26ac anyway ) Bumble bees Claydon
    Heavy land wet and unlevel, disc over 2" deep, shakerator then combi with discs.
    Anything continuous wheat heavy and too wet (mostly ploughed last year) will get left, either fallow or spring break crop
    So far 20 ac w barley drilled.

Seat Right Back

I realise that this year was a bad one , made worse by the fact that I spent to much time scraping a lot of flat rape of the floor and making the cereals even later and getting over ripe and in the end rotten

onwards and forwards

strip-till-phil

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    give it a few days and you could have "Mazuried/Claydoned" the lot...(hope I am right...)...
    This is my plan Jim....sitting tight with stubbles sprayed off but not been touched then when it's fit to go I plan to run the drill 18 hours a day with rollers close behind.

Was thinking of going late this afternoon but decided to leave it with rain forecast, pi55ing down here now so the wait continues