Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Have you resorted toPloughing/combination drilling drilling

Seat Right Back

Re: Have you resorted toPloughing/combination drilling drilling

triod rape stubble and to be fair that will go in at some point
    but everything else has been ploughed , right or wrong decision , well time will tell , to be fair we had another 5 mm last night , its just that the wind blew well today and it had us hoping for a bit , but we soon came back to our senses

s.chiles

Quote Originally Posted by Krampeman View Post
    the final decision came down to the management time which I found to be much more under DD. With min till you just combine, cultivate, spray, drill, pellet and that works in 95% of the time.
    To be fair Lee if you haven't got time to do the management under a dd situation you're better off with a plough and power harrow combi as you're less likely to get it wrong in this situation. It's really up too you and your management skill.

Krampeman

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Lee - on your long term DD field how did the results break down over the years / drills ? I recall you liking the cross slot and had decent yields behind it but discounted it on the basis of it's silly cost ??

ie did you just see the yield drop / slug problems in the claydon years or across all drills you tried ?
    Without looking back properly from memory the 750 planted a sping barley crop and it did quite poorly. We then followed with a wheat and that was around 3.5t/ac so normal for that field. However remember it had the JD press wheels which are crap. No slug problems though in either years as we had never grown osr on it.

Then used a rapid with system disc lifted up for a season on a 2nd wheat (straw removed) and it was about 2.5t/ac. Again no slug issue at this point.

Then a Moore for a first ever osr crop and it did over 2t/ac, but I believe this was more to do with it being virgin osr ground. 3 or 4 pellet applications from memory.

Then Cross Slot on first wheat and it did 3.8t/ac. Put pellets down the spout and on the surface, the followed up a couple of times after. Then Cross Slot again for an osr and it failed So was re drilled with a rapid - a lot of pellets used.

Then claydon 1st wheat and it did 3.3t/ac with 4 or 5 pellet passes. Claydon again for a osr and again pellets multiple times.

Then claydon again 1st wheat and this is when we cultivated the 7ac bit and that then out yielded the rest of the field by 1t/ac.

Willscale

Without looking back properly from memory the 750 planted a sping barley crop and it did quite poorly. We then followed with a wheat and that was around 3.5t/ac so normal for that field. However remember it had the JD press wheels which are crap. No slug problems though in either years as we had never grown osr on it.

Then used a rapid with system disc lifted up for a season on a 2nd wheat (straw removed) and it was about 2.5t/ac. Again no slug issue at this point.

Then a Moore for a first ever osr crop and it did over 2t/ac, but I believe this was more to do with it being virgin osr ground. 3 or 4 pellet applications from memory.

Then Cross Slot on first wheat and it did 3.8t/ac. Put pellets down the spout and on the surface, the followed up a couple of times after. Then Cross Slot again for an osr and it failed So was re drilled with a rapid - a lot of pellets used.

Then claydon 1st wheat and it did 3.3t/ac with 4 or 5 pellet passes. Claydon again for a osr and again pellets multiple times.

Then claydon again 1st wheat and this is when we cultivated the 7ac bit and that then out yielded the rest of the field by 1t/ac.
    I think that you change too quickly to be honest and are working the wrong way round.

The 750 in the WW first year clearly showed potential. Spring Barley is a tough one to get right straight away so I wouldn't have expected much out of that especially with no closing wheels.

2nd Wheat = wrong machine and not really ideal rotation.

Why not just grow rape with a subsoiler and DD the wheat in with a decent direct drill? Once the stuff is in the ground and got the plant populations I don't see how you can expect any more of the drill

Krampeman

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    I think that you change too quickly to be honest and are working the wrong way round.

The 750 in the WW first year clearly showed potential. Spring Barley is a tough one to get right straight away so I wouldn't have expected much out of that especially with no closing wheels.

2nd Wheat = wrong machine and not really ideal rotation.

Why not just grow rape with a subsoiler and DD the wheat in with a decent direct drill? Once the stuff is in the ground and got the plant populations I don't see how you can expect any more of the drill
    Will,

We were just taking a 'look see' for 2 things really. One was obviously the drills and the only way to see how they work is to try them yourself? and wheres better than a field thats into longer term direct seed placement. If anything longer into it the better the drills should have performed, so maybe not fair on the 750, but certainly the cross slot and claydon should have performed brilliantly and as they are marketed?

The 2nd thing was how the soil changed under no tillage, but sadly it did not over 6 years of disc drills. Then a further 2 years of a tined drill also had little effect so after 8 years and then having a small area of 7ac that started yielding again once it had been moved at depth, proved to me that DD will not suit every type of soil.

At the end of the day I tried with the drills you guys are using and most importantly wanted it to work, but it wouldn't under the current rotation.

I suspect if I brought grass and livestock back into the system, then it would stand a chance but I am not interested in that kind of approach. I'll widen the rotation (which I've done over the last couple of years anyway) but not to the extent that would be required to make DD work here using a disc drill approach, even though I know its the right thing to do.

peterraugland

I have an idea at the moment that might suit us so will be looking at it over the winter as it wont cost anything to change into.
    Youv got my curiosity now! (-;

watfordfrosty

blantant plug ,have got one for sale in the classifieds if you know anybody who wants one:lolk: