Thread: New shed ideas welcome.

johnny400

New shed ideas welcome.

Hi looking into putting up a new shed(s) on a green field site to replace all the existing farm building and looking for a some of your ideas on whats best. I would need floor space for
    1. Holding about 100 tonne of grain over harvest time, most of it would be moved with in days but would like the possibility of holding it a few months to get better prices maybe.
    2. Small workshop area
    3 Area for working 200 ewes with lambs max, through summer/autumn time, then this bit used again for lambing, maybe holding 50 ewes if weather gets bad.

So what size would you recon i need? style? Amount of floor space concreted? etc
    Any estimates of what it would cost too

Any thoughts/ideas most welcome

cheers.

Sussex Martin

Re: New shed ideas welcome.

Work out what you think you need then multiply by at least 2 . You can never have enough shed space.

Red Bull

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Martin View Post
    Work out what you think you need then multiply by at least 2 . You can never have enough shed space.
    True but if you're on a budget you can only do what you can afford. But when you design something try and bear expansion in mind, make it so it can be easily extended, concrete panels are easily removed and keep it high, never heard of a shed too high but seen a few too low.

dgw

I would agree with the former posts; build it as big as you can afford to and allow for flexibility of use and ease of future extension/adaptation. As has been said use removable concrete panels (rather than block walls) for sub divisions as these can obviously be moved about in future if needs be.

Also make sure you build the shed high enough! It really costs very little more to go a few feet higher than you might normally do (its the roof that is the biggest cost). Granted it will cost more to side clad and fit doors etc. but for many uses including grain and bale storage and even animal housing/air circulation building higher sheds is rarely a bad move IMO.

Pryderi

On the subject of later expansion try to get the stanchions drilled both sides in case you need to bolt a lean-to on later on. Much easier than fafing about with mag drill then!!!

peasantman

Don't under estimate the amount of work involved, particularly levelling the site/base for the floor and the amount of stone that could be needed to go under the floor.

Also I would advise measuring up for the concrete panels after the frame has been erected. That way you avoid having to cut panels shorter as we did. Not impossible but a pain in the a**e.

Another consideration is how to join the panels to the floor. Some people lay the floor and poker it under the panels, probably a good idea. Others lay a foundation strip under the panels shuttered up flush inside and out to the column edges on the outside then lay the floor inside later as we did.

Having the site levelled before the columns went up would have saved us quite a bit of bother!

I would always go for ready mixed concrete and get a professional to lay the floor. Also glad we opted for 6" panels. But these need properly rated lifting chains with adjusters so you can get them level. They weigh 2 tonne each and we rested them onto angle iron cleats we welded to the columns.

A builders dumpy level is essential IMO.

But it all depends how much you are doing yourself. We let contractors erect frame and roof and doors. We did walls, base for floor, site levelling and holes for columns and cladding. It would not have been sensible for us to do more, but we are not experts with an unlimited amount of time to spend on these things.

We did a 60 x 80 with 14 foot to eaves. One reason for this size limit was that this was the max before full planning permission was needed.

We build it as machinery / grain store. Not easy to get true multipurpose IMO because of conflicting ventilation and to some extent floor finish.

btd-6

I would go for a portal width of 80'-100', then when the time comes when you need to increase size, you can easily add on more portals, and still have scope for an additional lean-to if necessary.

vinnie123

put as many water/electric points in as possible, even if you don't need them straight away its a lot easier to get them in from the start

PDR-Draughting

Quote Originally Posted by peasantman View Post

Also I would advise measuring up for the concrete panels after the frame has been erected. That way you avoid having to cut panels shorter as we did. Not impossible but a pain in the a**e.
    Who put your shed up? if the panels didn't fit?

peasantman

Quote Originally Posted by PDR-Draughting View Post
    Who put your shed up? if the panels didn't fit?
    It was our own fault! We decided we would do the end steelwork for the shed ourselves, I.e. door frames etc. Although the overall length was 60 foot and 3 standard panels should have fitted they did not because of the way the corners joined and because we decided to make the door wider so that the combine could drive in with the bed on.

johnny400

Thanks for your replies. A few things there i hadn't thought of there. Will be what i can afford just now with the view of expanding/adding on to later and the flexibility if theres an change in enterprise.
    Got a few shed companies coming round next week so no doubt ill have a few more questions after that.

Cheers

dgw

One other thing; maybe think about an overhang down one or both sides. Gives an extra 5' or more (not sure how much of a span can be unsupported) shelter and added roof space for maybe a feeding barrier or something.
    I fitted one along the side of a 60 by 40 to make it 45' roof space, and would always consider these canopies if putting up another shed. Just another thought to consider.

Oldmacdonald

There was someone on here that made a new shed on a greenfield site that included grain storage, grain drier, possibly some cattle accommodation as well. Tried to find the thread, but can't. Can anyone help?

DM

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmacdonald View Post
    There was someone on here that made a new shed on a greenfield site that included grain storage, grain drier, possibly some cattle accommodation as well. Tried to find the thread, but can't. Can anyone help?
    Think i remember that one too. Was that the grain shed within a shed type one? Think it was all under one roof too. Was along the lines of grain store and straw storage in the middle, workshop and machinery along one side and cattle along the other. There was a mobile drier in there too somewhere.
    Would be a couple of years ago now since it was posted on here.

Something along those lines might work for the OP by substituting cattle bit for sheep.

Oldmacdonald

That's the one I'm thinking of -can't find it in a search and can't remember who posted it!

DM

Me neither.
    Was probably in pictures section so no longer listed.

mydexta

Try Archie on here, he built a new steading 2-3 years ago and there was some pics put up

scots_knight

It was Archie's shed but cant find it, he had lots of good pictures.

This is all I could find on another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Doesn't have to be a flat roof.

Very nearly built a shed like Mr Muck described. Grain store, 5 metre gap then cattle court along side. Grain store 6m eaves. Cattle court 4.5m. Both at 15 degree pitch so roof over gap is pitched the same. Didn't go for it in the end as thought it made for a very expensive feed passage but may have missed a trick not thinking about using it for workshop, storage as muck suggested.

I put up something more like Lee described but only 6.2m eaves.
    Mine is 48m long. Central part is 18m wide comprising 30m long totally enclosed grain store then open 18m square straw shed.

Of one side of this is a 12m wide open sided cattle court which runs the full 48m length. This is set 500mm lower than grain store and other than the 30m wall shared with grain store is open sided for ventilation. Cattle fed from outside with 2m overhang above trough.

Of the other side of the grain store there is a 6m lean to which comprises 12m long workskop with the rest open sided for machinery storage.

Manged to incorporate opico drier into things too. 500mm split floor came in handy as intake auger sits below finished floor level of intake area.

If it is an insurance job and money is no object then probably still best with 2 seperate sheds but it can be done under one roof with no valley gutters.

Derky

We put up new sheds on a green field site 4/5 years ago and have extended 2 more times to finish. Basically the buildings now form a horse shoe shape so access is from one end for security and to limit the wind. We put up originally 5000 tonne of grain storage with a continuos flow drier and cleaner then the opposite side we dad a big machinery shed along with workshop, stores and office. We then extended the grain store by a further 3000 tonne and this year put another 3000 tonne up. We have finished now bar an office block we have just got permission for. If we could do anything different we would have a wider space between buildings and place electricity transformer in a better place.

Archie

Would agree with all the good advice already given.
    Certainly don't skimp on height, as said already a bit of extra side cladding is small change compared to your groundworks, concreting and roof sheeting costs which are unaffected by it. Already wishing mine was 6.8m eaves rather than 6.2m.

Spend plenty time trying to plan things out on paper as to how it will all work, especially so on the livestock side. Took me a long time to finally be happy with my plans but you can never spend too much time on this cos once it's up it's too late

Give yourself plenty of yardspace for turning and future expansion. Pick the brains of the shed guys you have coming out next week as to what they have done in the past and maybe incorporate bits of the best of them. Found the smaller local shed builders far better for this than the big ones who do all the advertising.

Oldmacdonald

You got any photos you can post of yours archie - we seem to have lost your original thread.

Archie

Not got any photos to hand.
    Got the dreaded blue screen on the laptop they were on. Managed to retrieve to disc but not transferred over to anything else yet as I'm an I pad convert now

andy26

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Not got any photos to hand.
    Got the dreaded blue screen on the laptop they were on.
    I'm writing this on a Laptop with a broken screen, I just plugged an old PC LCD monitor into the 'video out' port.

CLUNK

have the roof purlins put into the H beams instead of on top so that there is no place for birds to roost

jousty

Agree with the earlier posts, try and future proof it, seen a few jobs where they haven't thought about it and made life tricky when they have tried to extend. Also agree about height, go as high as you can (within reason). Concrete panels obviously good due to flexibility if you do want to change things around.

ladycrofter

Quote Originally Posted by dgw View Post
    One other thing; maybe think about an overhang down one or both sides. Gives an extra 5' or more (not sure how much of a span can be unsupported) shelter and added roof space for maybe a feeding barrier or something.
    I fitted one along the side of a 60 by 40 to make it 45' roof space, and would always consider these canopies if putting up another shed. Just another thought to consider.
    Overhangs are great, wish we had one. Rule of thumb for cantilever is 1/4 maximum of the run. I think 1/4 would be dodgy with the snow loads we've seen in recent years. You can get a mechanical engineer to calculate for you, they will know acceptable bending and can just plug the numbers in the software. Think we may have a few BFFer's who qualify.

Certainly not worth taking a chance, and I wouldn't necessarily trust a shed firm to get the calc's right. We just watched a large shed go up and although it is roughly the size of ours (built 1970's), the beams look half the size. But I'm sure the price was right.

Toilet facilities? If you have staff working there, there is some regulation/guideline as to how far they should be from a toilet.

Or at least plumbed water and a geyser for handwashing.

What are you doing with water coming off the roof gutters?

joe soapy

Quote Originally Posted by Pryderi View Post
    On the subject of later expansion try to get the stanchions drilled both sides in case you need to bolt a lean-to on later on. Much easier than fafing about with mag drill then!!!
    +1 and have double cleats on the end frames

DM

Quote Originally Posted by johnny400 View Post
    Thanks for your replies. A few things there i hadn't thought of there. Will be what i can afford just now with the view of expanding/adding on to later and the flexibility if theres an change in enterprise.
    Got a few shed companies coming round next week so no doubt ill have a few more questions after that.

Cheers
    How did you get on with the shed companies Johnny?
    Would be interesting to know what their ideas were and what you are thinking of doing having spoken to a few of them.