Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What % of wheat/barley have you got in the ground??

its.... only me

What % of wheat/barley have you got in the ground??

As the who's finished harvest, & how much have you got left to cut draws to an end & October looms .... the "how much wheat/barley have you got in the ground v's left to plant" start's.
    We have drilled 0% of either, & we are waiting for the bulk of our wheat still to be dressed.
    What a difference a year makes :cry:

agricontract

Re: What % of wheat/barley have you got in the ground??

Last year 100% in by now this year
    0% barley sown
    10% wheat sown but half of that has been under water this week
    100% osr sown but with not the weather to roll it I think the slugs may get the better of a lot of it
    Still got my beans to cut as well bad times

Clive

100% OSR in
    0% Wheat in
    0% other breaks - but thy will be spring breaks now I think

a few (very few) just started around here but very little done

LOADS of time yet though so not worried at all yet

looking on the bright side latter drilled wheat will be easier to keep slugs off if it comes cold

beretta

This time last year 90% drilled up and 100% aphid/bydv attack on going.

OSR 100% DRILLED 60% EMERGED SO FAR

WINTER BARLEY 0% DRILLED

WINTER WHEAT 0% DRILLED

OATS 0% DRILLED

WHAT A YEAR SO FAR, FARMING NEVER GETS BORING DOES IT. HAVE NOT RESORTED TO THE PLOUGH YET THOUGH

henery

100% osr in , post w wheat is now up and looks ok. 70% wheat in, went in well, rolled up. Now sitting in mud, had to pellet the lot...which is a first for years.
    Neighbour has all his beans (only break) and 30+ac wheat to cut, the last dry weekend he was unable to combine anything as he was flat out playing cricket :cry::cry::cry:

static

100% of my wheat done......'cos I'm not growing any. Cancelled seed mid August. Good choice as its a bloody mess. Memories of 2007 have told me to leave it be, and if it doesnt dry up then grit our teeth and do the budgets for no crop. Half the farm is in with rape this year, which is slowly growing and should be a crop. Quarter is oat stubbles on lighter land which we look at in a few weeks time. Quarter is simply not going to dry now so will be fallowed.

In a fortunate position that the crop this year was reasonable and sold well so far; SFP still comming in; no rent review looming. As a youngster with all my eggs in one basket, if we had had 2t crops sold forward and £150/ac+ rent then I would be shutting up shop.

yellow belly

0 % wheat
    6 days drilling or less

dropped second wheat and some rape for more beans and linseed no point planting a poor crop of 2n wheat or rape crop they are the most profitable crops but also the highest costs

kpa

OSR 100% up & running, 1% with wet feet + slug pellets
    Rape & turnips 100%, 60% up & running, 30% emerged & 10% ??
    Wheat 99.5%, 50% emerging + slug pellets

Wombat

OSR 100% battling with slugs in a couple of places all pelleted

0 % wheat, seed was only delivered 10 days ago and then it rained and rained and rained. Drying up nicely though so should hopefully get some in this week.

fraggle13

0% wheat or barley drilled. Osr 100% drilled but not in planned fields and it's all been under water this week, doesn't look too clever. Have cancelled all the wheat seed that hasn't been delivered. Some land was under about 10 foot of water this week. Some of our fields/lakes were pictured on front of local paper yesterday.

Hartwig

0 % wheat and only some barley done, but one field barley started I would like to finish, but time is running out here : drilling barley at 1st october is already late, the 5th october would be a big gamble, depends on the autumn which looks already now cold and grim.
    So I thought about mixing some fertilizer with the barley seed to give it a boost if it will grow in this wet and cold soils anyway.
    Thought about 15 kg/ha CAN mixed with the seed, would that make sense ?? Any experiences around with that ??

If I can do it is really not clear now, forecast is no sunshine at all and yesterday I thought I could go soon if it stays dry and then we got another 17mm......

Right-arm fast

100% rape in but not up yet in any great quantity. No wheat.

nick

hope i dont upset anyone but
    100% rape in and all looking well,some too thick that may need thinning
    100% barley in
    60% wheat in and now got some beet ou hopefully more in soon
    finished rolling in all cereals this morning and hope a rain shower is immenant to soak the ground as its very dry
    nick.............

Krampeman

0% osr but this was on purpose
    0% wheat
    0% barley

I could force a combi drill here but it's not the right thing to do so sitting tight at the moment. Forecasted rain today has not yet arrived but tues/wed look bad so it will be next weekend before we start. 18m of drills waiting to go though so we should be able to cover well over 200ac per day.

MrNoo

100% OSR drilled and up + slug pellets, need to spray but currently too wet.
    95% Wheat drilled, finished rolling this morn, some had pre-em, pelleted pre-drilling, had a very good kill but suspect will need another dose. One field still to drill but am going to leave it as late as I can as bad blackgrass.
    100% Cover crops drilled, all up and growing well, if a little late.
    Rest of the ground is destined for SB, had a pass with cultivator, greened up and been sprayed off, so almost there.

funkyfarmeruk

100% OSR all in, sprayed and up

60% wheat in 40% pre-em sprayed

0% Winter Barley. thats because we wait till mid october

To be honest we are sitting fairly pretty. Heavy land all in well 7 days ago and slug pelleted. 2000 acres of winter cereals, no spring cropping

valtrarule

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    100% barley in
    finished rolling in all cereals this morning and hope a rain shower is immenant to soak the ground as its very dry
    nick.............
    god how the other half live under water hear

possumbility

Just finished the first field of wheat (67/277), on the same day that I did the last field of wheat last year (350 acres).

Big Vern

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    100% barley in
    nick.............
    mate get aomgst it...

am asuming it would be 100% wheay in had you lifted all your beet?

we have 100% rape in pelleted and up
    all turnips in up and away
    grass in sort of up but the barley is growing away from it.. (no time to spray stubble..) combine pulled out drill went in as the bales went off.
    all wheat still in shed..

dgw

Nothing sown yet, hope to plough and sow 50 acres (all barley) in the next week or so; just been too wet for the past fortnight. Finished all sowing last year (and most other years) by the end of September.

Seat Right Back

Rape 0%
    Barley 0%
    Wheat 0%

An Gof

100% rape drilled and emerged
    100% wheat drilled
    75% barley drilled
    0% oats drilled (seed finally arrived on Friday)

Forecast 20-25mm for tonight, doesn't look like much will be done over next few days.

victor the 2nd

Oats all in (15acres) nothing else done yet

willb

Quote Originally Posted by henery View Post
    100% osr in , post w wheat is now up and looks ok. 70% wheat in, went in well, rolled up. Now sitting in mud, had to pellet the lot...which is a first for years.
    Neighbour has all his beans (only break) and 30+ac wheat to cut, the last dry weekend he was unable to combine anything as he was flat out playing cricket :cry::cry::cry:
    Not the first year is it? Is it going to be another January finish I wonder?

drumachie1

OSR all in a month ago
    80% winter barley
    0% wheat
    Hopefully this week will finish barley but still 300+ acres of straw to bale

henery

Quote Originally Posted by willb View Post
    Not the first year is it? Is it going to be another January finish I wonder?
    You can not cut beans unless they have seen a little snow......and there is no shooting to attend
    How's that strongish red ground holding up to the deluge?

devils advocate

80 acre of winter barley & zero sown

Thinking of reducing area to 50 acre & raising the seed rate.

Also light field intended for spring barley because of sterile brome problem will be sown with winter barley. The field (heavy) that would have been winter barley will be having a few drains put in & split between swedes & spring barley.

With spring barley seed likely to be in short supply, will any of you consider sowing winter cereals late Feb. Have done so in the past with very good results but agronomist very much against it.

Also illegal but would some autumn N help the late sown crops?

I don't consider it late for wheat though, much depends on the weather.

With the value of potatoes we will contract out the seed drilling this autumn.

willb

Quote Originally Posted by henery View Post
    You can not cut beans unless they have seen a little snow......and there is no shooting to attend
    How's that strongish red ground holding up to the deluge?
    At least it keeps the pigeons well fed!

To be honest I haven't checked in at the ranch since I finished off the rape drilling two weeks ago. I am meant to be on holiday from the day job this week too but dad told me not to bother. Problem is that a lot of the ground was worked to incorporate chicken much around the sheds but apparently is a bog.

Got 130acres of first wheat done but none at 'home'. A dry week and we'll be going though I would hope.

Robigus

Quote Originally Posted by Seat Right Back View Post
    Rape 0%
    Barley 0%
    Wheat 0%
    I was down your part of the world this weekend, supporting our daughter pulling for the YFC at the Malvern Show. We stayed a couple of nights in Stratford. I couldn’t help noticing that there were a few fields of beans and linseed standing.

All OSR and Turnips in - to varying degrees of success,
    5% of wheat.

Wombat

Went to have a look at working some land down and packed up and went for a coffee instead, more use, cheaper and no diesel involved.