Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What % of wheat/barley have you got in the ground??

Rob Holmes

Re: What % of wheat/barley have you got in the ground??

Quote Originally Posted by maresi View Post
    Finished drilling wheat last night which means we are

OSR 70% of normal
    Winter Barley 65% of normal
    Winter oats 40% of normal although still planing to drill the rest in Feb/March
    Winter Wheat 80% of normal although thats only because we have done a couple of 3rd wheats!

Still got beans and rape to cut. And believe it or not some of the rape is winter rape!!
    Is there any left?

maresi

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holmes View Post
    Is there any left?
    spring rape looking ok at the moment.....in fact barely ready a few days ago. The winter rape I havent been in since it was sprayed off a month ago. 10 acres and if I get a tankfull it will be a miracle!!!

its.... only me

Quote Originally Posted by its.... only me View Post
    As of 5.30p.m. last Thursday when rain stopped play.... so to speak, we had 107% of OSR in, 100% w.barley & approx. 30% w.wheat.
    95% of barley rolled, 0% of wheat.
    Took 20mm. of rain over Thursday night/Friday a.m :cry:
    Well nearly a month since we last drilled a grain, we wheeled the olde combi out late this p.m. & drilled 35 ac. Not gone in to bad... all things considered, like sh!te just below surface so set everything very shallow & plenty of tension on coulters to stop the bloody things bouncing out.
    Should have a demo tine drill tomorrow to play with??
    The demo Vaderstad's still sat in corner of yard...... where it's been for last month.
    Rain tomorrow p.m. :cry::cry:

MrNoo

Did the same, old combi out the shed, did 15acres before the PTO shaft went bang! Going in well though, surprised how much it has dried out since ploughing (2 days ago) another 40 acres to do today (some light brash) and will then plough a bit/drill a bit on any remaining light land I have whenever it`s dry enough to go.

drumachie1

Think we will call it a day on sowing got about 60% in lots of neighbours around still got a lot of barley wheat and oats to cut some are not even half way so there is always someone worse off

Clive

IT'S NOVEMBER !!

it really is not too late for Wheat surely ? where has this idea come from that everything has to be done in September these days ?

Renaultman

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    IT'S NOVEMBER !!

it really is not too late for Wheat surely ? where has this idea come from that everything has to be done in September these days ?
    As I have already said. If conditions are ok I will have a go until the end of Feb. There had been a lot of wheat gone in very well in the last few days all ploughed and combi d from stubble all good land.

Krampeman

Just taken delivery of some more wheat seed as I am planting it rather than any spring crops. As far as I am concerned I have got another 140 odd days to plant 'WINTER' wheat.

The figures are looking good to me. A winter wheat crop (miller) almost treated like a spring crop so reduced inputs yielding 2.5t/ac at probably 250/t. If I can grow 2.5t/ac in 2012 when the weather was rubbish and the crop was plastered in Fusarium, then I think a late sown crop of wheat should at least do the same.

davidroberts30

You guys arnt 300 miles north in scotland

MrNoo

Quote Originally Posted by Krampeman View Post
    Just taken delivery of some more wheat seed as I am planting it rather than any spring crops.
    +1 Had a load of Santiago delivered this morn (34TGW mind!)

Clive

I found myself on the phone this morning to seed dressing company to see if they could clean some for me

If we have another week like the one we have just had we will need more seed and not because we are re drilling but because we will have drilled more than was planned !

Would undressed seed be ok at this time of year I wonder ? Might even come through faster ??

mbsrhol

I used undressed seed today, used some last year to finish off with no bother. Mind you it is from harvest 2011, don't think I would use this years.

gone up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by mbsrhol View Post
    I used undressed seed today, used some last year to finish off with no bother. Mind you it is from harvest 2011, don't think I would use this years.

Was that ist or 2nd wheat??

Ref Clive : and dresssing the seed, with the price of wheat ( and which will go up another 40/t by next june simply due to lack of this years crop and so much of next years crop still in the seed bags currently ) i would dress it as if you dont by the time you find out if it was a good or bad idea not to do it it will be too late!!

mbsrhol

The seed was 1st wheat and was out of the pheasant/duck feed trailer and puts this year's crop to absolute shame. Must be 60 TGW and 80+ specific wt.

Wombat

Still same as before, probably less as the way the slugs are in the wheat after osr I think 20% will need redrilling. Never known them as bad I do wonder why I try and grow Osr.

gone up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by mbsrhol View Post
    The seed was 1st wheat and was out of the pheasant/duck feed trailer and puts this year's crop to absolute shame. Must be 60 TGW and 80+ specific wt.
    Iv got 5 ton of feed wheat left in the shed from last year and when you compare that to a sample of this years the difference is shocking to say the least!!

Renaultman

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Still same as before, probably less as the way the slugs are in the wheat after osr I think 20% will need redrilling. Never known them as bad I do wonder why I try and grow Osr.
    I'm just leaving mine now, and see what's left in the spring.

155tm

Finished drilling first wheats last night!
    That is a first for November, and I hope and pray it is also the last time it takes until November!
    It has been raining overnight and the second wheat ground is wetter anyway, time to spend the weekend with my family!

funkyfarmeruk

Got drilled up last night. Been a difficult one! last 300 acres of wheat drilled with combination drill.

Krampeman

Wheat in the shed (solstice) is worth to me 240/t at the moment. By the time you've cleaned and dressed it it was cheaper for me to buy in this last lot of seed as it looks like winter wheat seed prices are on the down. They've got to sell it because nobody is going to buy 2012 over wintered seed for autumn 13 are they!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    IT'S NOVEMBER !!

Agronomists selling inputs to keep it in shape.

its.... only me

Approx. 70% of wheat in now, & going in well.
    Prob. started a day early looking at fridays drilling comparded to sunday's, but more rain here today (@ sh!t creek)
    Will probably need to order more seed if we don't get too much rain.... sowing later at higher seed rate

Enry

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Agronomists selling inputs to keep it in shape.
    when we had a beet factory in Shrophsire a lot of wheat was routinely drilled into December and beyond.....I think we often drill too early and get caught up in a ratrace