Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro fit auto boom height

Clive

Retro fit auto boom height

Going to run our current sprayer (Bateman rb35 4000/24) for another year or so and would like to fit a auto boom height system to it possibly

It already has RTK GPS steering and auto section cut off via a X20 in the cab so what are my options that will work with this existing kit and what would the likely costs be ??

any systems best avoided or recommended ??

back'o'beyond

Re: Retro fit auto boom height

When you say "another year" do you mean just one more year or do you mean potentially a few years. I think you'll find it's a big investment if its for just one year.

graybo

Bateman fit Norac at the factory which runs through their Agleader box.
    Dunno if it can be run through Topcon or whether you would need a separate
    control box.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by back'o'beyond View Post
    When you say "another year" do you mean just one more year or do you mean potentially a few years. I think you'll find it's a big investment if its for just one year.
    maybe a couple of years ? - was due to change (5 years 5000hrs) but there is nothing wrong with it and if I was buying an new machine it would be exactly the same

I could always move the kit to a new machine when this one does get sold I guess anyway ??

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by graybo View Post
    Bateman fit Norac at the factory which runs through their Agleader box.
    Dunno if it can be run through Topcon or whether you would need a separate
    control box.
    It's the control side of things that I guess is expensive ?? I was thinking if the existing X20 could be used it might just be a case of software, sensors and wires and therefore not so expensive ??

SwampDonkey

Clive go with the Norac. I had a Topcon auto boom height running through an X20 and its C**P. We changed over to trimble for various reasons, and had to have Norac fitted instead and its 100% better IMOA.

graybo

Just had a sneaky peeky at their website (cos i've got nothing better to do)
    and they do a cable kit for X30, didn't see anything for X20.

Oscar

Norac UC5 is 5600 and thats integrated into the Agleader Integra which is 5K !! Just taken off my invoice for new machine going through factory at the moment.

graybo

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Norac UC5 is 5600 and thats integrated into the Agleader Integra which is 5K !! Just taken off my invoice for new machine going through factory at the moment.
    Which one is it ?
    Been working there this week.

Clive

anyone got a rough idea of what it costs ??

edit - sorry just seen post above !

Wombat

On the x30 the norac can run through the ISO VT, had a sit in a sprayer that had it setup like that

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    On the x30 the norac can run through the ISO VT, had a sit in a sprayer that had it setup like that
    I have a x30 in another tractor - might be best to swap that into the sprayer

X30 doesn't talk with gatekeeper (yet) though which spoils that idea a bit

Wormdigger

you can get a norac uc4 independant controller which is a stand alone unit for boom control.

jim75

So can say the uc4 be shifted from current machine to the next one without too much hassle? What about muller (not the yoghurts):lolk: came across them reading through previous posts the other day on this subject

smythricky

Not sure how easy it is to take the x20 out and put the x30 in. I asked about it earlier this year on our sprayer and was told the spray ecu wouldn't work on it.

Could have had bad information though.

Nametab

Clive

Norac UC4 (separate control box) for the Contour boom (height & tilt control) 3,600 fitted

If you had the X30 (which you don't) as said above it's ISObus so a Norac UC5 could be controlled from the screen and actually a little cheaper than running through an Agleader Integra, as you don't need the "unlock" - cost fitted with X30 still 3,600 (cost of unlock for Agleader integration +325!!

So first option is really your only option, easy enough to retro-fit, and move from one machine to another if required. As mentioned above, haven't had a good experience with Topcon' own system, unless they have improved recently, no doubt RR will talk to you about that.

oh yea - do I have a spare build slot for next June now then??

Nametab

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    I have a x30 in another tractor - might be best to swap that into the sprayer

X30 doesn't talk with gatekeeper (yet) though which spoils that idea a bit
    X30 (at present) doesn't work with N-Senor!

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Nametab View Post
    Clive

Norac UC4 (separate control box) for the Contour boom (height & tilt control) 3,600 fitted

If you had the X30 (which you don't) as said above it's ISObus so a Norac UC5 could be controlled from the screen and actually a little cheaper than running through an Agleader Integra, as you don't need the "unlock" - cost fitted with X30 still 3,600 (cost of unlock for Agleader integration +325!!

So first option is really your only option, easy enough to retro-fit, and move from one machine to another if required. As mentioned above, haven't had a good experience with Topcon' own system, unless they have improved recently, no doubt RR will talk to you about that.

oh yea - do I have a spare build slot for next June now then??
    Thanks Johnathan - will be in touch when we have drilling out the way, doesn't seem a bad price really

Re - build slot - not 100% sure yet but keeping thinking that we would only order the same machine again and this one is in near perfect condition still ! leave it with me, I will make my mind up before Christmas !!

graybo

Had a little play with a Sands fitted with Norac today.

It was hopeless, the Norac that is.

jim75

Quote Originally Posted by graybo View Post
    Had a little play with a Sands fitted with Norac today.

It was hopeless, the Norac that is.
    In what way?

ch55

Had a drive on a rb35 with 30m VG boom with norac uc4 and came away thinking it has one of the best advances in technology in quiet a while. I am sure you would get off a machine after a long day in better form.

graybo

Quote Originally Posted by jim75 View Post
    In what way?

The boom was doing a very good impression of the letter W going
    across a more or less level field.

Wormdigger

I have found that on my uc5 sensitivity only needs to be set at 1-2 in soil mode, any higher and it will over react especially at higher speeds.
    In crop mode it can be set higher but have never found the need.

IMO its the dogs wotsits on a 30m boom at 15 - 18 kmh.

jim75

So anyone any Experience of muller systems? Or put another way any other systems worth looking at other than Norac. Cheers

Wormdigger

only other i tried was on my deere 5430i I had, was hopeless one of the many reasons we let it go.

Norac is not so good in tall crops, it has a tendacy to drop while turning on headlands, this is because the middle sensor passes over the tramline track as you turn and senses the ground not the crop so tells the controller to lower the boom.
    pain in the a....se and I have yet to find a way of getting around the problem other than disconnecting the middle sensor,

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Wormdigger View Post
    only other i tried was on my deere 5430i I had, was hopeless one of the many reasons we let it go.

Norac is not so good in tall crops, it has a tendacy to drop while turning on headlands, this is because the middle sensor passes over the tramline track as you turn and senses the ground not the crop so tells the controller to lower the boom.
    pain in the a....se and I have yet to find a way of getting around the problem other than disconnecting the middle sensor,
    can't you make it switch off as you hit the master off at a headland ?

or better still raise the boom fully on headlands when you hit the master switch making sure its well clear of the ground and then drop as the master is turned back on setting into work ??

Wormdigger

Hi Clive
    switching it off through the main switch would be the way to go but not sure how to plumb it into the agleader.
    Mike

jim75

Really? Used boomtrac on 840i and pity they don't fit them aftermarket, got on well, take it you've got 3 for that size of boom, just need 2 for 24m?? Looking at fitting to househam that used to have a sleeve on it so has a heavier boom and can start flapping about because of that. Worth putting it on as a aid to stop it diving into the ground?

timmy hectares

I have found that on my uc5 sensitivity only needs to be set at 1-2 in soil mode, any higher and it will over react especially at higher speeds.
    In crop mode it can be set higher but have never found the need.

IMO its the dogs wotsits on a 30m boom at 15 - 18 kmh.
    Found the same, i would say its not 100% but its a massive improvement over manually controlling the boom, it does need to be calibrated well i find tho

Wormdigger

hi Tim
    how you doing,yes I agree I calibrate now and again if things get out of kilter.