Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 750a first day out !

Clive

750a first day out !

Finally got going with wheat drilling today on some well drained light soil - VERY pleased with the job the drill is doing.

Nice easy start for us on a block of land after OSR that has no volunteers, we are applying 4kg of Detrex on the back of the drill as I can find a few slugs and eggs. The rest of our OSR stubble's are over 1ft tall with a thick volunteer crop, I'm sure the drill will cope though

The soil - it's very light and free draining on this block of land, not in the picture but number of worms is good at least half a dozen uncovered in a spade full, I didn't expect to see them increasing so soon so maybe the solo and rapid were doing more harm to them than I thought ??

Uncovered seed slot - depth seems very even and there is no smeering of the slot at all, I smeared more with my fingers trying to find the seed !

Slot covered by gutler

after following harrow

Drill working at a slight angle to last years crop

I reckon we are spending well under 10/ac doing this - compare that with my min till establishment cost last year of closer to 60and you can see why we have returned to direct drilling !!! not to mention how quick it all is and the lack of need for 600hp crawlers ! . I cant see any reason why this won't grow and yield well ??

Work rates are very pleasing - already running about 10ac/hr which will increase as operator gains experience I'm sure, it's leaving the soil nicely consolidated, absolutely no need to roll at all I reckon. Completed filed looks a picture, to my surprise it does seem to have leveled up marks from combine and chaser bin nicely and all look lovely and level

We are using RTK GPS so no need for marker arms and we are not tram-lining as the Sprayer will put them back in on top of last years

peterraugland

Re: 750a first day out !

so all in all to good to be true??

If you could guess now, come harvest, whats going to be the reason it didnt yield as expected? Why did you stop DDing before, and whats changed now that wont bring you back to the same conclusion?

Im interested as im on light free draining land my self (-: #edit# I know you farm heavier land. It might not have been the light land that made you stop dd before?? But glad to see it works on light land.. #edit#

Alistair_Nelson

Looks smart a smart rig and like the slug pelleters is fitted, always think when I see these drills the following harrow looks like an after thought. Do you think you will require some form of fert system fitting to the drill in the future?

The tractor appears to have 2 GPS receivers on the roof? is one for steering and the other for the drill forward speed sensing to control the electric drive system?

Cheers

Alistair

BSH

Clive, congratulations and I'm pleased your research has worked out and you have got the right drill for your situation. Good luck with getting the rest in. Hopefully we will all get some better weather and be able to get on.

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair_Nelson View Post
    Looks smart a smart rig and like the slug pelleters is fitted, always think when I see these drills the following harrow looks like an after thought. Do you think you will require some form of fert system fitting to the drill in the future?

The tractor appears to have 2 GPS receivers on the roof? is one for steering and the other for the drill forward speed sensing to control the electric drive system?

Cheers

Alistair
    sat tv for the driver

Feldspar

Quite a moment I would have thought given all the research, planning and preparation. I can imagine the satisfaction from doing a job with so little effort and, as you say, the contrast with last year.

Feel for me slopping around in the mud today, doing more harm than good with maschios, failing to cover the seed, little chance of rolling, rain imminent but no better option. We've almost run out of good seedbeds after only three days of drilling.

Feldspar

Also what speed were you travelling at and do you think the following harrow is achieving much?

Willscale

That does look an easy field though you gotta admit!

DD some WW in SOSR stubble this afternoon.

It was a little bit slotty if i'm honest and hairpinning a little but the rape was only harvested a week or so ago and the roundup is slow acting on quite a lot of weeds. Increased the weight of on the frame and that helped but could have done with a harrow or a roll ideally but roller hyd pipe just burst

Guttlers looking to be working better than my Thompson wheels too.

Neddy Flanders

Clive, how much of your land is as friable as that? You've many more days ahead of you, but looks good.

For info, I 750'd some land last week that was slightly too wet and although slots have closed, on inspection to day there are more slugs in the slot than grains of wheat!!!

ploughman_1959

Quote Originally Posted by Neddy Flanders View Post
    Clive, how much of your land is as friable as that? You've many more days ahead of you, but looks good.

For info, I 750'd some land last week that was slightly too wet and although slots have closed, on inspection to day there are more slugs in the slot than grains of wheat!!!
    Sounds as if you have created a road network for them, and be assured, they will be motoring

marco

Shouldn't think that harrow is of any use on the back there. just getting volunteers up and going. Or am i being harsh/missing something?

But seriously looks good, could do with some wide tyres on my 68

shakerator

this is why i wont be DDing any osr stubbles until spring- are pellets down the spout enough?

devils advocate

Soil looks fantastic.

Like the set up.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by peterraugland View Post
    so all in all to good to be true??

If you could guess now, come harvest, whats going to be the reason it didnt yield as expected? Why did you stop DDing before, and whats changed now that wont bring you back to the same conclusion?

Im interested as im on light free draining land my self (-: #edit# I know you farm heavier land. It might not have been the light land that made you stop dd before?? But glad to see it works on light land.. #edit#
    If this fails it won't be because of establishment - On other more challenging land I guess slugs will be enemy no 1 this year and most likely cause of failure but that would be the case regardless of drill here this year I guess

We stopped DD'ing (well Claydon strip till) not because it didn't work well for us but because a few years ago we had an opportunity to cut fixed costs sharing establishment equipment and tractors with a neighbouring farm (Lee). It's fair to say for various reasons DD didn't work consistently for him so he has stayed with a min till system but I could no longer ignore the savings I know we can make on our land so have returned to a DD system but this time hopefully a better thought out system with less soil disturbance

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair_Nelson View Post

Cheers

Alistair

Fert system is on my future mods list ! been researching it carefully and will maybe do something this winter

The slug pelleter is taken from the solo we used to establish our OSR - thought it was doing nothing now and fitting it to the drill has helped us keep our patience and not rush out drilling too soon in unsuitable conditions - it's a great addition to the drill though that I think might pay dividends this season. Where populations look very high we will pellet with Bateman a week or so pre drilling, on the drill at establishment and then with the quad latter if we still have a problem. Only using feric phosphate pellets now as well

The tractor is a short term hire machine - the SF3000 receiver is not steering it but the Topcon one is via our RTK base station - as the drill is Greenstar the SF3000 is recording area and seed rate etc into JD field doc but it's not necessary really

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by BSH View Post
    Clive, congratulations and I'm pleased your research has worked out and you have got the right drill for your situation. Good luck with getting the rest in. Hopefully we will all get some better weather and be able to get on.
    Thanks ! so far so good but we have started with the very easy stuff, long way to go yet !!

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    Quite a moment I would have thought given all the research, planning and preparation. I can imagine the satisfaction from doing a job with so little effort and, as you say, the contrast with last year.

Feel for me slopping around in the mud today, doing more harm than good with maschios, failing to cover the seed, little chance of rolling, rain imminent but no better option. We've almost run out of good seedbeds after only three days of drilling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    Also what speed were you travelling at and do you think the following harrow is achieving much?
    Its really very satisfying but equally maddening to think you might have been wasting so much money all these years !!

Speed is 12k-13kph - we could go faster when driver is more confident

Don't think the harrow is doing much at all - might run with it up tomorrow

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    That does look an easy field though you gotta admit!

DD some WW in SOSR stubble this afternoon.

It was a little bit slotty if i'm honest and hairpinning a little but the rape was only harvested a week or so ago and the roundup is slow acting on quite a lot of weeds. Increased the weight of on the frame and that helped but could have done with a harrow or a roll ideally but roller hyd pipe just burst

Guttlers looking to be working better than my Thompson wheels too.
    It's a very easy field for sure - we are novices yet so need to build up to the tricky stuff !

It will get progressively more hardcore - the next block we have to move to will be more impressive if it goes in anything like as well

Gutlers make the drill from what I can tell so far

Clive

That's about our lightest really - but about 60% of our land is pretty light (not great in a dry year) One of my main aims with this is to increase water holding capacity of this lighter land and reduce evaporation

we have some much stickier stuff to do before we are drilled up this year so drill will get a good trial across a wide range of soils - I will post pictures warts and all I promise !

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    Shouldn't think that harrow is of any use on the back there. just getting volunteers up and going. Or am i being harsh/missing something?

But seriously looks good, could do with some wide tyres on my 68
    Think you might be right - didn't really think about it today but will try with it up tomorrow

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by BSH View Post
    Thanks - long way to go yet but so far I'm optimistic

This feels like "proper" direct drilling where as the Claydon felt more like drilling on the back of a cultivator

My only reservation is what we will see where the combine and chaser ran come spring !!??

s.chiles

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Its really very satisfying but equally maddening to think you might have been wasting so much money all these years !!

Speed is 12k-13kph - we could go faster when driver is more confident

Don't think the harrow is doing much at all - might run with it up tomorrow

I always ran with the harrow at the shallowest angle possible, like you are in the pics. It does a useful job and I personally would use it all the time.
    Keep posting the pics, it must be the most photographed drill in the history of mankind, please keep up the tradition.

tote

Can you tell me the difference between your drill and Kuhn sd liner please. And will you be raking after seeding. Cheers

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by tote View Post
    Can you tell me the difference between your drill and Kuhn sd liner please. And will you be raking after seeding. Cheers
    I don't know a lot about the Kuhn drill really so can't really answer that one ! Jim Bullock might be able to help

we don't have a rake but even if I did we wouldn't use it, no need to roll either so that's it job done and gate shut until it needs either more slug pellets or herbicides

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by s.chiles View Post
    I always ran with the harrow at the shallowest angle possible, like you are in the pics. It does a useful job and I personally would use it all the time.
    Keep posting the pics, it must be the most photographed drill in the history of mankind, please keep up the tradition.
    harrow is handy where you get a bit of a lump from the combine - spreads it nicely, it will have a lot more to deal with when we move into stubbles with thick volunteer crops on them

Martyn has been polishing it ! can you tell !

s.chiles

The Kuhn SD has a single wavey opener disc and a double disc for seed placement.
    The JD has a single disc running at a 7 degree angle, a seed boot that runs in it's shadow, followed by a press wheel and then a closing wheel. Seed deth is controlled by a gauge wheel that runs alongside each disc. The openers can be loaded up to 250 kgs each and each opener can move up to 14 inches independantly of it's neighbour.

tote

Be interested to see the growing crop. I like the idea diesel is just going to go up for sure. I guess sometimes the littlest done is better. I've got a 4.8 v form but still power hungry. The cost of a Kuhn is around 40 grand for 3 metre. Will you drill the rape with it too next year.

s.chiles

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    harrow is handy where you get a bit of a lump from the combine - spreads it nicely, it will have a lot more to deal with when we move into stubbles with thick volunteer crops on them

Martyn has been polishing it ! can you tell !
    If polishing it helps reduce the coefficient of drag then keep it up. I'll be expecting fuel consumption to be less than 4.5 litres/ha.

Clive

Will you drill the rape with it too next year.
    hope so - but not counting chickens just yet - it's a long time to harvest !

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by s.chiles View Post
    If polishing it helps reduce the coefficient of drag then keep it up. I'll be expecting fuel consumption to be less than 4.5 litres/ha.
    yes I did some sums while in the field and drove home feeling rather smug

I will post some numbers when I get a chance but the money this will save if successful over our acreage is rather substantial

Thing is I'm not thinking of it as a money saving exercise really but more a better way to farm and hopefully improve yield potential of our soils, saving money is just a (rather nice) by product !

Thanks for all your help so far Simon, it really is invaluable