Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 750a first day out !

s.chiles

Re: 750a first day out !

Quote Originally Posted by tote View Post
    Will you drill the rape with it too next year.
    Of course he will, I've got a fair wager with Will that Clive will be the host of the No-Till Alliance's third open day!

s.chiles

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post

Thing is I'm not thinking of it as a money saving exercise really but more a better way to farm and hopefully improve yield potential of our soils, saving money is just a (rather nice) by product !
    This was the way I approached it and IMO the best way to success.

Krampeman

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Finally got going with wheat drilling today on some well drained light soil - VERY pleased with the job the drill is doing.

Nice easy start for us on a block of land after OSR that has no volunteers, we are applying 4kg of Detrex on the back of the drill as I can find a few slugs and eggs. The rest of our OSR stubble's are over 1ft tall with a thick volunteer crop, I'm sure the drill will cope though

The soil - it's very light and free draining on this block of land, not in the picture but number of worms is good at least half a dozen uncovered in a spade full, I didn't expect to see them increasing so soon so maybe the solo and rapid were doing more harm to them than I thought ??

Uncovered seed slot - depth seems very even and there is no smeering of the slot at all, I smeared more with my fingers trying to find the seed !

Slot covered by gutler

after following harrow

Drill working at a slight angle to last years crop

I reckon we are spending well under 10/ac doing this - compare that with my min till establishment cost last year of closer to 60and you can see why we have returned to direct drilling !!! not to mention how quick it all is and the lack of need for 600hp crawlers ! . I cant see any reason why this won't grow and yield well ??

Work rates are very pleasing - already running about 10ac/hr which will increase as operator gains experience I'm sure, it's leaving the soil nicely consolidated, absolutely no need to roll at all I reckon. Completed filed looks a picture, to my surprise it does seem to have leveled up marks from combine and chaser bin nicely and all look lovely and level

We are using RTK GPS so no need for marker arms and we are not tram-lining as the Sprayer will put them back in on top of last years
    Looks good clive. It should work at claverdon and from the pics looks spot on. The stoney soil will keep air in it and free draining, so if it fails there then god knows as that's the perfect scenario.

What depth? and what seed rate?

We're on 300seeds/m2 for jjd and I'm doing 350 although no need for slug pellets or rolling so at the moment.

Clive

400 seeds, probably too thick - bought in seed is such low TGW (36 !!) so rate much lower than I budgeted for but dare not drop rate too much for fear of lack of vigour

seed depth is 1" - it's notable how consistent it is as well, depth control seems better than a rapid to me

Certainly have gone with an easy block to get started but as you know we have a good mix of soils to try it over

just need weather to behave for a couple of weeks now !!

cornboy

Whats the price tage on that fine looking green drill then?

Looks Good

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by cornboy View Post
    Whats the price tage on that fine looking green drill then?

Looks Good
    Bought this used from Simon - it's 2002 vintage but he had looked after it well

Cost me less than 50% the cost of a new Mzuri or Claydon and has done pretty much all its depreciating now - over the ac it will cover its cost is pretty negligible really

I never asked the price of a new one - Simon will know as that's what he has replaced this with

slugpelleter

If you get chance Clive could you nip round to Lee's and put 5 acres in some of his Warwickshire shite so we might get a look see on stronger land? It's probably an unfair test but invaluable to see whether it has a chance.