Thread: Best and cheapest Basic Guide system

RGT

Best and cheapest Basic Guide system

What/where /cost etc. for a starter basic guidance system anyone.

Just for spraying,fertiliser etc.

Anyone got a good basic secondhand one they want to sell?
    Any Advise?

Brisel

Re: Best and cheapest Basic Guide system

I liked the old Sirius/Agrocom ones as they have a steering guide as well as the regular light bar.

There was a recent thread on here where someone posted a picture of one.

Also, Patchwork Cruizers or any others with screens although this pushes the price up.

Cowabunga

The T-Jet lightbar with the guidance screen is available for around 800 maximum through Krampe dealers, which is just about every tractor dealer worth their salt.

About a metre accurate which is good enough for fertiliser spreading but iffy for spraying. Having said that, all my grassland spraying [few hundred acres some years, none some others] is done with its aid. Also a big help in cereals as long as all the other senses, if present, are used concurrently.

This isn't the best, but it has done me well for several years, and it must be just about the best value basic system. I'm in no hurry to upgrade to something better and more expensive. It does the job and is as easy to use as is possible to be.

Oldmacdonald

You would surely get an entry level Patchwork box for that price.

Much better in my opinion.

Cowabunga

If going for Patchwork, I would go for their imported Raven Cruiser or whatever they call it and if still available, which is certainly a better unit and which colours the area passed as you go. It is however far more expensive, but is the one I would certainly buy today. Their Patchwork Go box is a rebranded Raven Envizio iirc.

It depends on how much he has to spend. Spend a bit more again and you get the more attractively packaged and versatile Trimble light bar and guidance unit, or even the Topcon.
    Personally, unless you really have an use for more sophisticated features and have a delight for working out hieroglyphics, I would keep to the more simple-to-use systems, otherwise drivers will be tearing their hair out and will just sulk away from using the damned things.

Just found a training video for the Raven Envizio/Patchwork Go unit.
    Remember that most of the set-up only needs to be done once for a certain size of tractor, so don't get frightened off by the first part of the video.

[YOUTUBE]GRIhsvOwHz0[/YOUTUBE]

There are several episodes. Watch them all.
    For fertiliser spreading and opening lands none of this boom setup stuff is needed and neither is it needed for small scale simple sprayers. All you need to do in these cases is to set the desired working width and away you go.
    IMO, of the more sophisticated units, the Envizio and especially the Cruiser are the simplest to set up and the Topcon the most mind-boggling, but each to their own. I'll stick to the T-Jet Centreline220 seen here.
    If you buy this through Krampe, the instructions and box will be in German but English instructions are to be found through that link.

Hope this helps.

RGT

simpler the better?

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    simpler the better?
    Yes. But it depends on what you need the system to do and whether the operator has the patience to quickly learn how to use it and utilise it properly.
    Apart from the supremely simple T-Jet, the Raven and Trimble are probably the next most simple to set up and use for basic tasks while having the options to expand [which people seldom ever do].

It takes a certain type of person to want a complex system. It is not suitable for the vast majority of people who drive tractors or even tractor drivers.

RGT

Anyone using the leicia geo- systems mojomini guidance systems?

Cowabunga

Not seen one myself but seems to be a sophisticated system like the Raven product at quite a reasonable price.
    Only one possible problem. The 4.3" screen, which is quite a lot smaller that some others. Now this might not be a problem at all, but it is something you should check out, especially considering the touchscreen buttons for starting and stopping coverage and settings are up both sides of the screen and you might have to hit one of them on the go.
    Check out also whether there are connections and parts available for automatically starting and stopping the measurement through proximity sensors or oil pressure switches.

You might not wish to measure the area or you might already have this facility on your tractor performance monitor or SimpleSAM, in which case perhaps all you really need is lines to follow at appropriate distances. If this is so, you are back to the simple T-Jet.

chocolate pig

If its just a basic lightbar then they all probably work as well as each other.
    The first system I bought was the Trimble 500 but that died along with the tractor it was in, it was ok but would sometimes lose signal in the middle of the field which was bloody annoying, then the next day it would work fine again. It would also move the reference pass when you left the field to fill up, usually by about 5m.
    I replaced it with the blackbox 510 which was slightly cheaper, includes a tilt sensor, much more intuative to use, though I did get the helix antenna rather than the basic patch antenna. It has never lost signal even under tree cover, 'drift' of the reference pass is much reduced too but I would hesitate to say that its a thing of the past but certainly no more than 0.5m now if at all. Overall a much better unit than the Trimble.

Clive

I have one of these that I would sell cheap if anyone is interested PM me an offer - keep meaning to eBay it but never seem to get around to it !

worked well for us in sprayer etc until we moved to full auto steer at which point it was retired to a quad bike for accurate slug pelleting !

Brisel

FarmerStan

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    I have one of these that I would sell cheap if anyone is interested PM me an offer - keep meaning to eBay it but never seem to get around to it !

worked well for us in sprayer etc until we moved to full auto steer at which point it was retired to a quad bike for accurate slug pelleting !
    I might be interested Clive!

There are a good little unit!

RGT

PM as well Clive- may be too late ?

Cowabunga

I can source it at 820 delivered from a UK main dealer. Plus VAT of course.

REB1952

I haven't tried a lightbar only unit to compare, but with the Centerline 220 we had I found the 'map page' on the screen more useful than the light bar on top. It was good for giving both distance and angle at a glance. When following a curved AB line, it did a good job of showing the when a change in direction was coming up. I now use a T-jet Matrix and like with the Centerline I look at the screen more than the light bar.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by REB1952 View Post
    I haven't tried a lightbar only unit to compare, but with the Centerline 220 we had I found the 'map page' on the screen more useful than the light bar on top. It was good for giving both distance and angle at a glance. When following a curved AB line, it did a good job of showing the when a change in direction was coming up. I now use a T-jet Matrix and like with the Centerline I look at the screen more than the light bar.

That is how I always use it too. I just press the button to go from the arrow on the screen to the lines as in your post. Far easier. After a couple of days you get to use both the lights and the pictogram together to anticipate any turns ahead, which you can't do with just the lights. You do look out of the window as well though to get some spacial awareness and avoid those electricity posts.

Filthyfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    I can source it at 820 delivered from a UK main dealer. Plus VAT of course.
    Bought mine from here in the spring, 725 + VAT

http://www.spraytech.uk.com/teejet-c...-220-449-p.asp

Track Marshall

Well my centerline 220 might be second hand but it only cost me 12 from a farm sale the other day in full working order, plus it came with a decent grease gun.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Filthyfarmer View Post
    Bought mine from here in the spring, 725 + VAT

http://www.spraytech.uk.com/teejet-c...-220-449-p.asp

Are you happy with it?

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Track Marshall View Post
    Well my centerline 220 might be second hand but it only cost me 12 from a farm sale the other day in full working order, plus it came with a decent grease gun.
    The new ones are new and improved. Haven't seen any grease nipples on mine

Track Marshall

The new ones are new and improved. Haven't seen any grease nipples on mine
    I think the chap I was bidding against wanted the grease gun, nobody knew what the "control box" was for

Well it was in norfolk

Brisel

So did you offer to sell him the grease gun for 15? :lolk:

Filthyfarmer

Are you happy with it?
    Yes, it does what it says on the box. Good entry level system.

Used it for grassland jobs; fertilising, spraying and mowing. Bought this one after seeing neighbours one in use.
    I expect there are others that are equally as good. Bit like buying a computer, within month it's out of date.......

Brisel

Quote Originally Posted by Brisel View Post
    I liked the old Sirius/Agrocom ones as they have a steering guide as well as the regular light bar.

There was a recent thread on here where someone posted a picture of one.

Also, Patchwork Cruizers or any others with screens although this pushes the price up.
    Here's the one I was thinking of with the steering guide:

http://www.outbackguidance.com/Store...9/Default.aspx

I had what is now the Outback S-Lite. It does area measurement too & was a good entry level kit.

RGT

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post

Clive-did you see my PM-Did you sell it after??

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Clive-did you see my PM-Did you sell it after??
    yes sorry - will reply, just been busy the last few days and I frankly have no idea what it's worth ??

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Filthyfarmer View Post
    Yes, it does what it says on the box. Good entry level system.

Used it for grassland jobs; fertilising, spraying and mowing. Bought this one after seeing neighbours one in use.
    I expect there are others that are equally as good. Bit like buying a computer, within month it's out of date.......
    Had mine for 6 years and it is not out of date yet. It never will be, because it does the job.
    When I bought mine it was state-of-the-art. Well, not quite. But it did cost 1200 back then. The latest ones are a bit more accurate and have a slightly better screen but they are basically the same.

You must have bought the cheapest one sold in the UK this year. Was it part of a bigger deal or subsidised to aid the sale of some other equipment?

Filthyfarmer

Had mine for 6 years and it is not out of date yet. It never will be, because it does the job.
    When I bought mine it was state-of-the-art. Well, not quite. But it did cost 1200 back then. The latest ones are a bit more accurate and have a slightly better screen but they are basically the same.

You must have bought the cheapest one sold in the UK this year. Was it part of a bigger deal or subsidised to aid the sale of some other equipment?
    it's nice to think I had a good deal

Just searched the web, nothing else bought, looks like they are still offering it at the same price