Thread: Partially sighted calf

Partially sighted calf

I've a heifer calf still on Mum and it's about 7 months now so will be weaned before long.
    From birth it soon became obvious it can't see very well at all but generally manages remarkably well even when it was out in the field last year.
    It can see moving shapes but will bump into another cow or even a wall if it gets a bit disorientated!

So normal procedure would be to sell as a store at about a year old or serve to stay in the herd.
    It could probably go through market if kept with one of it's mates but I would probably sell it privately.
    But would it be asking for big problems to keep her on as a cow?
    How would she cope with her own calf?

Re: Partially sighted calf

Difficult question to start with!

I've really no idea, all I can say it we once had a dairy cow go progressively blind and we did keep her on until end of lactation without much problem but she was more of a pet than maybe a suckler would be. I suppose you have a few months yet to make a decision, good luck!

Not the same, but I have a stot calf that has a funny developed pelvis. He's a happy lad but just with a odd gait. I don't finish normally but I'm going to finish him with another of a similar age. Don't want him exposed to all the argy bargy of the mart & then a new home.

I'd do the same with your heifer. What if she goes blind when she's older? What kind of a life would she have?

a friend of mine told me that she worked somewhere many years ago where they had a cow that was completely blind. Normally they split the cows into a seperate group when they dried them off, but in her case they just ran her with the milking group all year round and as long as she was in familiar surroundings she was fine. I think you partially sighted cow would cope fine particularly if it was a suckler.

We have a pure angus heifer with similar problems + unsteady on her pins, and an odd throat/jaw. Her voice is affected - she can't yell properly, and sounds strangled. She's happy enough although small. But cannot cope in a group and so is penned, fed and will eventually be freezer fodder.

Didn't Welsh Dairy Farmer have a blind cow for some significant number of years? If it wasn't her then someone else did, and the reports were that the cow had adapted extremely well to being blind - until being culled for being a TB reactor.

It was Cornishwelsh's blind Peachy, there are pics of her on FD with her new calf. Upset a lot of us when she was culled.

Have a montbelliard cow milking that has been blind in one eye for 3 years now. Last year she had only partial sight in the other eye, seems to have full sight in that eye again.
    She's old enough but seems to get on fine with the other cows even if she doesn't see you just closed a gate on her blind side and bumps into it

It was Cornishwelsh's blind Peachy, there are pics of her on FD with her new calf. Upset a lot of us when she was culled.
    Oh yes, I remember that now.

Quote Originally Posted by stockslave View Post
    We told her story on this link:

http://bovinetb.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...it-coming.html

Neighbour of mine had 2 blind calves born in same year. Perfectly fine when suckling on cow at pasture, when weaned kept in same batch, both became very nervous. One walking into walls (eventually dying) and other becoming a violent kicker (cattle and humans)
    He blamed the blindness on pour-on used on cows during gestation And no don't keep her as a cow

She will be fine as a cow. We had a milker like that and she got around ok

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    I've a heifer calf still on Mum and it's about 7 months now so will be weaned before long.
    From birth it soon became obvious it can't see very well at all but generally manages remarkably well even when it was out in the field last year.
    It can see moving shapes but will bump into another cow or even a wall if it gets a bit disorientated!

So normal procedure would be to sell as a store at about a year old or serve to stay in the herd.
    It could probably go through market if kept with one of it's mates but I would probably sell it privately.
    But would it be asking for big problems to keep her on as a cow?
    How would she cope with her own calf?
    We've got a hfr that can't see much she calved about Christmas and is fine now, she was a bit unsure for the first day or two. The only saving grace I've got is that she was bottle reared, is a quiet as a lamb, and has about 6inch horns witch are good for steering her with

She seems a friendly trusting thing so far, some of the others delight in bullying her but she is growing fast enough and eating well.