Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: foster d2p

foster d2p

Firstly Are these any good ? Planning to use one for odd jobs on the specsback of an old ford 5000
    Anyone know the specs on them weight and dimentions ?

Many thanks

Re: foster d2p

Foster was always a good digger in the tractor mounted class. Might still be manufactured, they were up to a few years ago. One of the models could be off-set but the clamps were manual, not hydraulic. Your 5000 will handle it well.

The ones without the rigid top link are worth 500 less than those with. Without the rigid top link they can rise up on the arms and trap the operator against the back of the cab. People were killed when cabs came in in the 70's.
    Tidy ones fetch strong money

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
    That would be a better digger for any farming job. We have one but not as tidy as that model.

Tom

It was the 3D that had offset and subframe mounting. They arn't so sort after now with all the second hand mini diggers available as these are a more versatile machine.

had a D2P from new for about 20 years, i can remember it coming when i was a kid and the old fella digging drains on the moss with it yokked to a mf165 , it did well and was the muts nuts for a farm digger in its day, still a handy thing to have around . wont touch a mini digger though.

Managed to get one. Having difficulties hitching it up. Is there a weight limit on the 3 point hitch on the ford 5000 can't find the answer to this thanks

5000 should lift it fine, I used to have one on a Leyland 272. If you have the rigid top link set too long it will prevent the tractor from lifting it up on the arms. You need to connect the hydraulics first so you can jack it up level to see what length the top link needs to be.

TURN THE TRACTOR OFF BEFORE YOU GO IN TO CONNECT THE TOP LINK!!!! Sometimes if you tip the seat forward out of your way it can lean on the spool levers.

Even if the hydraulics on the 5000 are suspect, you will still be able to hook it up.

Connect the lower arms.
    Connect and turn on the digger hydraulics (presume it's a pto pump?)
    Use the digger side jacks to lift it, and the boom lift/lower to change the angle of the frame until the to link can be connected. The frameshould be vertical, with the jacks about a foot of the ground when fully retracted.

It's on!

The reason I ask if it's a pto pump is that if the 5000 hydraulics aren't able to lift the digger, there is a fault with your tractor. It's unlikely the hydraulics would power the digger in this case.

Tip for when you get it running:
    If the slew jams up and won't turn one way, don't panic
    The Ram seals can start to break up and a little bit has found it's way into the flow restrictor. Trace the pipe from the Ram side it won't go to, up to the valve. Undo The nut and remove the restrictor noting which way round it is. Poke out the but of seal blocking the tiny hole, and job done.

Thank you all up and running. Quite a machine!

There is quite a bit of restance on the lift arm leaver is this normal ?

Buy a warm coat
    spent hours on one after letting slip that I could drive a jcb whilst working on a farm just after leaving college, coldest winter I have ever known.
    Levers were the opposite way to a 3cx as well so was a nightmare to get used to

I have one, not as good as a mini digger but much much better than a spade.
    Give it full throttle

Quote Originally Posted by newfarmer View Post
    Thank you all up and running. Quite a machine!

There is quite a bit of restance on the lift arm leaver is this normal ?
    If it's been sitting around for a while the chain link the lever pivots on may be partially seized. Try a squirt of WD40 or take it out and clean it up.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    5000 should lift it fine, I used to have one on a Leyland 272. If you have the rigid top link set too long it will prevent the tractor from lifting it up on the arms. You need to connect the hydraulics first so you can jack it up level to see what length the top link needs to be.

TURN THE TRACTOR OFF BEFORE YOU GO IN TO CONNECT THE TOP LINK!!!! Sometimes if you tip the seat forward out of your way it can lean on the spool levers.
    Hi, This is a long time after your post but hopefully you will get it! I have a Leyland 272 10speed and I have just bought a Fosters Digger D2P. Will it fit my tractor ok as did yours many years ago and do I need the Tee Bar top link also or similar, as my digger does not have one. Your help would be greatly appreciated as there is so little information available. Your old posting is the first I have seen with reference to the digger on a leyland 272. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by serrow View Post
    Hi, This is a long time after your post but hopefully you will get it! I have a Leyland 272 10speed and I have just bought a Fosters Digger D2P. Will it fit my tractor ok as did yours many years ago and do I need the Tee Bar top link also or similar, as my digger does not have one. Your help would be greatly appreciated as there is so little information available. Your old posting is the first I have seen with reference to the digger on a leyland 272. Thanks.
    Yes, you will need the tee-bar top link. An ordinary top link will be dangerous as the digger could rear up when your pushing down with the boom, and you could get pinned against the cab. Foster still make them so the parts should be available, but it probably won't be cheap as its quite a substantial thing.
    I managed to find a picture which shows it (scroll to the third pic) https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/s...or-digger.html
    There's a piece missing from that one though. The horizontal bar at the top, with the 3 holes in, is hollow and the heavy bar with the ball end for mounting on the tractor slides into it.
    It should be possible to make a much simpler one, without all the adjustment holes, if it was made to measure for just the Leyland.

However, you will need to make a special bracket for the tractor to lock out the draft springs on the top link mounting clevis on the tractor as it isn't strong enough to handle the digger.
    I will do my best to describe what you need. Firstly you need a short piece of square section bar (I think it was about 10 or 12mm) bent into a U shape so it fits neatly in behind the clevis on the tractor. This locks the clevis from being pushed inwards by the digger when your pushing outwards with the boom.
    That was the easy bit. Now you need to make a bracket to lock the clevis from being pulled out by the weight of the digger. This bolts onto the PTO housing. The existing studs should be long enough. You need a piece of heavy plate with 4 holes for the studs and a much larger one in the centre to allow it to go over the PTO stub (you should be able to gas that one if you're careful)
    Bolt your plate on. Now you to make 2 other plates (these probably need to be at least 15mm thick) to weld on at 90deg to the plate, one either side of the PTO stub. The top of these plates needs to be cut to the same angle as the bottom of the top link clevis on the tractor. Offer these plates up to the one bolted to the PTO housing and slide up till the top is tight up against the bottom of the clevis, tack them on, then take the plate back off to weld the whole thing up.

Hmm... I just realised this could be a problem if you have a PTO pump for it as you won't be able to use the PTO with that bracket. Mine worked off the tractor's own hydraulics so that wasn't an issue. If you can see what I'm getting at with the bracket, and what it needs to do, it might be possible to fabricate it in a different way though

Hope all that makes sense

Yes, you will need the tee-bar top link. An ordinary top link will be dangerous as the digger could rear up when your pushing down with the boom, and you could get pinned against the cab. Foster still make them so the parts should be available, but it probably won't be cheap as its quite a substantial thing.
    I managed to find a picture which shows it (scroll to the third pic) https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/s...or-digger.html
    There's a piece missing from that one though. The horizontal bar at the top, with the 3 holes in, is hollow and the heavy bar with the ball end for mounting on the tractor slides into it.
    It should be possible to make a much simpler one, without all the adjustment holes, if it was made to measure for just the Leyland.

However, you will need to make a special bracket for the tractor to lock out the draft springs on the top link mounting clevis on the tractor as it isn't strong enough to handle the digger.
    I will do my best to describe what you need. Firstly you need a short piece of square section bar (I think it was about 10 or 12mm) bent into a U shape so it fits neatly in behind the clevis on the tractor. This locks the clevis from being pushed inwards by the digger when your pushing outwards with the boom.
    That was the easy bit. Now you need to make a bracket to lock the clevis from being pulled out by the weight of the digger. This bolts onto the PTO housing. The existing studs should be long enough. You need a piece of heavy plate with 4 holes for the studs and a much larger one in the centre to allow it to go over the PTO stub (you should be able to gas that one if you're careful)
    Bolt your plate on. Now you to make 2 other plates (these probably need to be at least 15mm thick) to weld on at 90deg to the plate, one either side of the PTO stub. The top of these plates needs to be cut to the same angle as the bottom of the top link clevis on the tractor. Offer these plates up to the one bolted to the PTO housing and slide up till the top is tight up against the bottom of the clevis, tack them on, then take the plate back off to weld the whole thing up.

Hmm... I just realised this could be a problem if you have a PTO pump for it as you won't be able to use the PTO with that bracket. Mine worked off the tractor's own hydraulics so that wasn't an issue. If you can see what I'm getting at with the bracket, and what it needs to do, it might be possible to fabricate it in a different way though

Hi, Thanks for your detailed reply. I spoke to Fosters this morning, I was told that as this is a Leyland with a sensitive and weak top link system, that I should either use the bottom cradle system (impossible to get) or a pair of stabilizing bars made specifically for the Leyland (by Fosters many years ago but no longer about) or similar. He also said that they have seen the top casting break under heavy use without any bracing of sorts and said if he found any original drawings he would send them to me but it is quite unlikely he'll find anything. In fact he went on to say that the "tee bar" top link would make matters worse as the top link sensor would likely sense the movement and try to lift the whole thing with dire consequences! Clearly very dangerous. I was thinking of bracing from the top pick up hitch points to their corresponding lower pick up hitch pins with fixed length rods, that would lock the arms down but would need to be of the correct length to make sure the digger was 12 inches off ground. I have not collected the digger as yet, nor handed my cash over, bloke is keeping it for me (local - just up the road) so I'm begining to think "is it worth it?".

Thanks for a detailed reply. ( I thought I'd replied earlier today but can't see it!). I spoke to Fosters today and a well informed person there said that the Leyland required a set of bracing/stabilizing bars to lock the hydraulic arms - the digger user manual says this also. He said the sensing unit on the top link would try and cause the arms to lift making it unstable and dangerous. He said it might be possible to find some old drawings of the stabilizers, but it should be possible to make something. Using the tee bar top link with the pto driven digger would also stress the top link housing - he has seen broken housings due to this, apparently a Leyland weakness? As I have not parted with cash for it yet I am tempted to leave it and resort to hiring a mini digger as and when... not ideal.. but I'll think about it. Many thanks once again.

Hi, Thanks for your detailed reply. I spoke to Fosters this morning, I was told that as this is a Leyland with a sensitive and weak top link system, that I should either use the bottom cradle system (impossible to get) or a pair of stabilizing bars made specifically for the Leyland (by Fosters many years ago but no longer about) or similar. He also said that they have seen the top casting break under heavy use without any bracing of sorts and said if he found any original drawings he would send them to me but it is quite unlikely he'll find anything. In fact he went on to say that the "tee bar" top link would make matters worse as the top link sensor would likely sense the movement and try to lift the whole thing with dire consequences! Clearly very dangerous. I was thinking of bracing from the top pick up hitch points to their corresponding lower pick up hitch pins with fixed length rods, that would lock the arms down but would need to be of the correct length to make sure the digger was 12 inches off ground. I have not collected the digger as yet, nor handed my cash over, bloke is keeping it for me (local - just up the road) so I'm begining to think "is it worth it?".
    The top link sensor shouldn't cause the arms to lift if the lever's in position control. If they've had that problem before, the operator must've had it on draft by mistake.
    I think it would need alot of abuse to break the top casting. The most likely casting to break would be the PTO housing where the pivot pin for the top link clevis goes through.
    The other thing that could happen would be stripping the big flat castle nut in the back of the clevis. That's what happened to us and the local agric engineer (who was Leyland trained, in a past life) advised us to make the bracket I described and we never had any problems after that.

The top link sensor shouldn't cause the arms to lift if the lever's in position control. If they've had that problem before, the operator must've had it on draft by mistake.
    I think it would need alot of abuse to break the top casting. The most likely casting to break would be the PTO housing where the pivot pin for the top link clevis goes through.
    The other thing that could happen would be stripping the big flat castle nut in the back of the clevis. That's what happened to us and the local agric engineer (who was Leyland trained, in a past life) advised us to make the bracket I described and we never had any problems after that.
    Interesting! Clearly there are ways to fix this issue. I'll take on board your advice and see what can be done. Many thanks, I appreciate your help. Regards.

Interesting! Clearly there are ways to fix this issue. I'll take on board your advice and see what can be done. Many thanks, I appreciate your help. Regards.
    Let us know how you get on

Useful machine, for what they were. We still use it occasionally for post holes and such, but a few tractors have come and gone since the Leyland...

Useful machine, for what they were. We still use it occasionally for post holes and such, but a few tractors have come and gone since the Leyland...

The little leyland my brother drove on the farm where I grew up. He thought something as simple as having the little lever on the quadrant to work the single spool valve as being really swish!! Pretty basic but they all were back then?

Heres me playing steering wheel attendant-

The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

A 344.

Bit before my time

We did have a 255 for a while, which would be the model that replaced the 344.

I have a plan and with luck it will be done within a week, or two at the most, all being well!

Almost done....................................

The photos show the new top link bracket having been welded and painted.This is designed to fit around the pto shaft housing and bolt to the PUH frame behind it. The design is quite rigid and forms a box like section. Notice it has bolt holes to fix to the bottom cradle also. The drawbar will be rotated 90^0, fixed and a normal top link will be fitted from the drawbar to the Foster top link with a special bracket which I will make this week , creating a locked triangle thus ensuring the digger is safe to use. The hydraulic arms will be locked to the drawbar pick up hitch cradle, and the draught pin will be fixed. I have modelled this with a pin joint model along with some maths to verify the components being in tension or compression, depending on the scenario.
    It seems to work as planned. I hope! I will post more photos in the coming weeks.

link to photos ( if it works!)

Try this -

https://i.postimg.cc/yYRymBs6/IMG-20191026-152715.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/zG1SpMGC/IMG-20191027-144018.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/HLY01y5j/IMG-20191027-144024.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/x1yGZRXW/IMG-20191027-144031.jpg

Certainly looks the part. You've obviously put alot of thought into it

Certainly looks the part. You've obviously put alot of thought into it
    Yes, quite a lot! The set up was tested today and all is well although I might make a few alterations yet as there are other options / additions possible. I'll post some photos soon.