fred

Re: First attempt at DD

What are we looking at

Bigred

Was it dark when you tried???????

Badshot

I can see a you tube video, what can you see?

fred

What cultivator with what

Clive

can't see anything ??

Andrew Kerr

Badshot,

Are you using different points on the drill or standard reversible type?

Looks to be doing a good job, any smearing?

REB1952

Its playing fine for me, a clear view out of the tractors rear window.

I'm guessing thier computers doesn't have the right codec to play the video properly. Sounds like when they play the video they just get a black screen, but maybe with sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_codec

As the video is on Youtube, Those that can see it may just need to download the latest version of 'Adobe Flash Player' to fix the problem. Or can you play other youtube videos ok?

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Looks to be going well. Reminds me of spring drilling a few years ago when the only tractor we had that could run a hydraulic fan had pump failure and to go and dig out a tined MF30 to drill most of the farm. Started on ploughed and min tilled, but ended up direct drilling the ground that wasn't worked the previous autumn as well. Like your video it has pretty high disturbance compared to most direct drills, but it all grew well. Unlike the MF30 though your drill has the advantage of not having a tyre running on dilled ground.

Clive

I can play youtube fine but not this

maybe post the direct link rather than embed ??

Badshot

It's my Kverneland tineseeder with front mounted seed hopper. 6m on my maxxum 140. Standard reversible points but I have modified the seed boots to try to get a more even seeding depth (no photo's as yet of these)which appears to have worked. There was no smearing as such but the seed is layed on an undisturbed layer covered with the fine tilth, not sure if that's good or not

I was only out with it to get it set and haven't yet managed as it rained while playing, the seed is in too deep so need to bring it out of the ground a bit.

It was making a cracking job, no issues with trash in the little bit I done. Last years tramlines are too deep for it though so I will drill at an angle and use them again this year ( assuming it stops raining for long enough ).

Overall it looks promising and I am now sure it will all get drilled sometime before christmas, not so sure about the little bit I cultivated though, that's bloody wet.

The field I was drilling in the video at the start of the thread.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

And another couple.

And the not so good

It was tooooooo wet at drilling, but only 10 acres out of 200 so could have been worse.

So what are your opinions so far ? Are you going direct drill more or less this year ? What drill spacings are you on ? I like the simplicity and low cost to your system, have you compared it to anything else such as a claydon, JD etc ?

Opinion so far is it looks well on the whole, I wouldn't have got much planted last autumn doing it with cults, be that min till or plough. The drill is on 5 inch spacing, have been thinking about moving some tines closer together to give a band effect, and help with trash flow. The KV wouldn't DD in a dry time at all I don't think but patience is a virtue and all that.

I have been watching claydons for a while and while impressed with the crops, I feel at the moment it is a close call as to whether I'd gain anything by using one. My neighbour has been DD'ing for years with various disc based drills, until last year when most of the farm got ploughed in a last ditch attempt to plant some crops so have come to the conclusion that a tine is probably a safer bet than a disc on this heavy land.

How much to DD this year? Depends on the weather and residue issues after little autumn herbicides being applied, I will aim to do what I can but this may be limited. A narrower point would be nice to reduce the cultivation efffect a bit.

What I have learnt is a more effective following harrow is required, and also on the first pass to put the seed in then leave to dry off a bit then roll with the paddles down and roll again after (so twice) to really firm things up again.

Quick update, after a very trying year and being forced into DD'ing wheat last back end the resulting harvest turned out to be far in excess of anything I could have hoped for, embarrasingly so actually.

Full of confidence now I have DD'd my rape this year with a very good result too, and intend to DD all of my wheat staring next week.

This was the field in the video at harvest.