fred

Re: First attempt at DD

What are we looking at

Bigred

Was it dark when you tried???????

Badshot

I can see a you tube video, what can you see?

fred

What cultivator with what

Clive

can't see anything ??

Andrew Kerr

Badshot,

Are you using different points on the drill or standard reversible type?

Looks to be doing a good job, any smearing?

REB1952

Its playing fine for me, a clear view out of the tractors rear window.

I'm guessing thier computers doesn't have the right codec to play the video properly. Sounds like when they play the video they just get a black screen, but maybe with sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_codec

As the video is on Youtube, Those that can see it may just need to download the latest version of 'Adobe Flash Player' to fix the problem. Or can you play other youtube videos ok?

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Looks to be going well. Reminds me of spring drilling a few years ago when the only tractor we had that could run a hydraulic fan had pump failure and to go and dig out a tined MF30 to drill most of the farm. Started on ploughed and min tilled, but ended up direct drilling the ground that wasn't worked the previous autumn as well. Like your video it has pretty high disturbance compared to most direct drills, but it all grew well. Unlike the MF30 though your drill has the advantage of not having a tyre running on dilled ground.

Clive

I can play youtube fine but not this

maybe post the direct link rather than embed ??

Badshot

It's my Kverneland tineseeder with front mounted seed hopper. 6m on my maxxum 140. Standard reversible points but I have modified the seed boots to try to get a more even seeding depth (no photo's as yet of these)which appears to have worked. There was no smearing as such but the seed is layed on an undisturbed layer covered with the fine tilth, not sure if that's good or not

I was only out with it to get it set and haven't yet managed as it rained while playing, the seed is in too deep so need to bring it out of the ground a bit.

It was making a cracking job, no issues with trash in the little bit I done. Last years tramlines are too deep for it though so I will drill at an angle and use them again this year ( assuming it stops raining for long enough ).

Overall it looks promising and I am now sure it will all get drilled sometime before christmas, not so sure about the little bit I cultivated though, that's bloody wet.

Badshot

fred

Do you get enough penetration

What have you changed with ref to the point

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    that wrks fine

looks good

Badshot

No problem with penetration when it's as soft as it is now, it wouldn't work when it's hard and dry though. But I am coming round to the idea that it might be better to delay drilling till later rather than beat the hell out of the ground to do it early, maybe keep my lowish levels of blackgrass under control too.

Let's face it, what do most people do when their cultivated field gets rained on? Get a cultivator out and pull it through to allow it to dry, this drill is only a cultivator at heart.

I'll nip out to the barn and get a pic of my mod to the seed boot for you.

Badshot

It's just a bit of 30mm x 50mm box cut at 45 degrees and welded in the hole the seed comes out of. It seems to have had the desired effect anyway, the seed is almost all in one place instead of spread through the entire depth of cultivated soil.

I'm wondering if I could have achieved the same effect by welding a 'flap' above the hole to stop seed going upwards

fred

Blimey that looks very similar to the weaving tine drill opener, in fact one of their selling points is that it puts the seed further back

Badshot

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Blimey that looks very similar to the weaving tine drill opener, in fact one of their selling points is that it puts the seed further back
    You are kidding, aren't you? Anyone got a close picture, i've never seen one.

155tm

I'm wondering if I could have achieved the same effect by welding a 'flap' above the hole to stop seed going upwards

The 750a uses a little plastic flap (looks like the sidewall of a 20l glyphosate can cut into strips to be honest) to stop the seed boucing out of the slot before the press wheel. By chance they fit the solo coulters on the horsch so we used them when we drilled the rape to keep the seed in the slot. worked well.

Mayo

I like the KV tined seeder, a very simple and lightweight idea and a bit of a well kept secret. Have seen 6m one on a 120hp tractor, bingo.

Badshot

Another video from today in HD this time so hopefully you can see it all clearly.

[YOUTUBE]xA-tvvwti6A[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA-tv...&feature=g-upl

I am very happy with how it's going so far, certainly not low disturbance but fingers crossed I'll have a crop on all but 30 acres that are cultivated. It will need to dry a lot to get on that again. To think that 3 weeks ago it was as dry as I've seen, now I reckon I need a week to get on that ground again. I'm just glad I stopped when I did.

nick channer

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    I like the KV tined seeder, a very simple and lightweight idea and a bit of a well kept secret. Have seen 6m one on a 120hp tractor, bingo.
    we have 4.8m with front hopper... 140hp is overkill... good outfit especially with ton hopper out front

Badshot

Well I have finished the bean stubbles today, on the whole they have gone very well indeed. I am looking forward to seeing it come up, the fields I drilled on Friday afternoon are chitting today so it shouldn't be too long.

I did try in the rape stubble in the way home and it is not going to DD, it's livery and nasty with NO tilth at all. I will be getting the spring tines out and pulling over them to a) dry them and b) generate some tilth, with a bit of luck I'll kill a few slugs too. There is something about the rape stubbles this year, they haven't worked at all well, at any time. I think I will have to look for a trailed spring tine in the future for this job.

Disappointing really, after my apparent success with the rolls spreading the chaff etc around and getting a good chit (which the slugs have eaten) I had high hopes. Still a pass with spring tines isn't the end of the world.

I'll get a photo of the very short attempt next time I'm there with a camera.

Kentish_Andy

Well I have finished the bean stubbles today, on the whole they have gone very well indeed. I am looking forward to seeing it come up, the fields I drilled on Friday afternoon are chitting today so it shouldn't be too long.

I did try in the rape stubble in the way home and it is not going to DD, it's livery and nasty with NO tilth at all. I will be getting the spring tines out and pulling over them to a) dry them and b) generate some tilth, with a bit of luck I'll kill a few slugs too. There is something about the rape stubbles this year, they haven't worked at all well, at any time. I think I will have to look for a trailed spring tine in the future for this job.

Disappointing really, after my apparent success with the rolls spreading the chaff etc around and getting a good chit (which the slugs have eaten) I had high hopes. Still a pass with spring tines isn't the end of the world.

I'll get a photo of the very short attempt next time I'm there with a camera.
    Badshot,
    Having to put slug pellets on bean stubbles too. Do not normally have to but they seem to be there in numbers too. I have found rape stubbles before are in a sad state. My theory is that all the herbicides etc we throw at rape, especially berfore christmas really knocks the soil biology and so the soil suffers. Whereas beans to not get anywhere the amount of inputs and stubbles always drill easily. Could also be due to fact that rape does not associate with mychorrizae and so soils suffer. Will be interesting to see where we have a companion crop with no residual herbicide whether the soils are in better nick come next year. Only a theory!

Badshot

I'm putting a half dose on the ex bean stubble after drilling (if it gets dry enough that is, just had a shower here that was like having a hosepipe on). The rape ground is just too wet I think really, must be on 7 inches of rain now I should think in 3 weeks, last year it worked really easily, loads of crumb without doing too much at all.

My theory with the bean ground is that the tilth generated in the spring doesn't get the winter rain on it so is still there. That obviously doesn't stand up for winter beans though, and when I grew them there was plenty of tilth (even if I did get the plough out and put it under )

I like the companion crop idea a lot, even if it only gave the slugs something else to eat other than the seedling rape plants.

It's been a funny old year, and one I'll be glad to see the back of.

Still got a 6.5 acre field of grass (had pheasant pens on it) to plough and plant so might get a chance to do that before the rest is dry enough. At least I have over 50% of the wheat in the ground now.

stroller

Quote Originally Posted by Kentish_Andy View Post
    Badshot,
    Having to put slug pellets on bean stubbles too. Do not normally have to but they seem to be there in numbers too. I have found rape stubbles before are in a sad state. My theory is that all the herbicides etc we throw at rape, especially berfore christmas really knocks the soil biology and so the soil suffers. Whereas beans to not get anywhere the amount of inputs and stubbles always drill easily. Could also be due to fact that rape does not associate with mychorrizae and so soils suffer. Will be interesting to see where we have a companion crop with no residual herbicide whether the soils are in better nick come next year. Only a theory!
    Andy, what did you use as a companion crop, and how and when did you drill it?

Kentish_Andy

Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    Andy, what did you use as a companion crop, and how and when did you drill it?
    pictures and details in Companion crop OSR thread

autopilot

Andrew Kerr

Badshot,

Would you be able to drill winter beans very deep into moved ground with your drill , pre or post coulter mods?

Badshot

I don't see why not Andrew, how deep do you want to go? This spring (before any modification) I put my spring beans in 4-5 inches deep with it into overwintered mintill land. My main issue then was having enough HP to pull 6m of drill that deep. I do bale the straw though, it WON'T handle a lot of chopped straw, it may be OK in the spring but in the autumn it would need to be well mixed through the soil profile IMO.

I am toying with removing a third of the coulters for next year, this would give me about 18.75cm spacing (7 1/3 inch) which would be fine I think and trash handling would be much better as well as HP requirement going down of course.

One thing to remember with this drill is it has NO contour following for individual coulters so fields need to be good and level.

I have so far found that you need to compromise on seed depth a bit, some will be deeper than ideal, and some will be shallower than ideal depending on up's and downs in the field. It is a lot more consistent with my mod though, there will be further mods for next year if all goes to plan.

Badshot

A couple of pictures taken the other day still in bean stubble, this had nothing done prior to drilling other than laying drains so there were a few wheelings about.

You can see the lumps of weed that got pulled up, not sure what weed it is other than it's a bit like a soft bindweed. Whatever it is there is some nicely lumped up for the agronomist to see

Luckily there was only a couple of thick patches of it in the 50 acre block so nothing to get too excited about, it was worst where the beans were poorest so got a chance to grow without competition.