Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First attempt at DD

Andrew Kerr

Re: First attempt at DD

Thanks,

We normally drill beans 100mm plus deep, as rooks are problematic here, but it depends on the depth of pre cultivation i suppose.

Andrew.

Badshot

It'll easily do 100mm (4 inch) in moved ground, I did manage to break a tine the other day by sticking it into a bank, I do believe it ended up nearly full depth before it gave up

SimonC

Quote Originally Posted by Kentish_Andy View Post
    Badshot,
    Having to put slug pellets on bean stubbles too. Do not normally have to but they seem to be there in numbers too. I have found rape stubbles before are in a sad state. My theory is that all the herbicides etc we throw at rape, especially berfore christmas really knocks the soil biology and so the soil suffers. Whereas beans to not get anywhere the amount of inputs and stubbles always drill easily. Could also be due to fact that rape does not associate with mychorrizae and so soils suffer. Will be interesting to see where we have a companion crop with no residual herbicide whether the soils are in better nick come next year. Only a theory!
    Been looking at some soil through the microscope today. Three fields, after beans, peas and linseed. The ex bean field looks by far the most healthy, loads of fungi and some nematodes and cilliates swimming around. The ex pea land has hardly any fungi, just bacteria and the linseed ground is somewhere between. Don't grow rape so can't comment how that would look but my guess is that it would be the same as the peas, and therefore more suitable for weeds than wheat.

The problem is what is it about these crops that appears to make a difference to the soil biology?- herbicides? insecticides? nitrogen rates? Nothing seems to follow or make sense at the moment. This is where all the research money should be going.

Kentish_Andy

Quote Originally Posted by SimonC View Post
    Been looking at some soil through the microscope today. Three fields, after beans, peas and linseed. The ex bean field looks by far the most healthy, loads of fungi and some nematodes and cilliates swimming around. The ex pea land has hardly any fungi, just bacteria and the linseed ground is somewhere between. Don't grow rape so can't comment how that would look but my guess is that it would be the same as the peas, and therefore more suitable for weeds than wheat.

The problem is what is it about these crops that appears to make a difference to the soil biology?- herbicides? insecticides? nitrogen rates? Nothing seems to follow or make sense at the moment. This is where all the research money should be going.
    Probably a combination of all the above. No simple single answer. Would be interesting to look at the difference between bare rape stubble and where I have my catch crop. Must get a microscope as I have done the course!

Badshot

It's up and going great guns.

I must say I am happy now, it's even growing up the old tramlines which were deeper than I'd have liked. Considering how wet it's been since drilling it's coped well.

Had a tyre go soft slowly over the afternoon which meant one side of the drill went deeper, it's coming but it is the bit by the road which everyone is looking at.

Headlands are a bit slower, but they'll get there. It's just a bit slower with it being a bit cloddier.

It's just inside a gateway, there is a culvert into the next field just to the right.

peterraugland

Now thats impressive..

So your kit is basically: subsoiler-drainplough, watkins rolls and a kv tine seeder?? (-:

looks like its not rolled in?? might not need it if its raining a lot and gets compacted anyway?

Badshot

Quote Originally Posted by peterraugland View Post
    Now thats impressive..

So your kit is basically: subsoiler-drainplough, watkins rolls and a kv tine seeder?? (-:

looks like its not rolled in?? might not need it if its raining a lot and gets compacted anyway?
    :lolk::lolk::lolk:

Hadn't thought of it that way, but yes these fields have been done very cheaply. No rolling at all this year after drilling it is just too wet.

It isn't working in the rape stubbles like that though, I'm thinking that a pass with the drill (so min till) will be needed to get some weathering next year, or maybe if it's just that bit drier the soil will be that bit more friable.

The next lot of drilling (if it would only stay dry for a while) will be wheat stubble (baled), rake/rolled and a very shallow pass of spring tines (not necessary really as it could have been drilled straight into the stubble, but I am on plan B now) and drill.

Bloody weather is driving us nuts round here now.

fred

autopilot

I had a Weaving Big Disc demo a couple of weeks ago where it DD after OSR. Only cultivation was a flatlift down the tramlines which, as the weather had gone, probably would have been better left alone. The drill went very well and the wheat is just beginning to emerge.

Badshot

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    I had a Weaving Big Disc demo a couple of weeks ago where it DD after OSR. Only cultivation was a flatlift down the tramlines which, as the weather had gone, probably would have been better left alone. The drill went very well and the wheat is just beginning to emerge.
    Get some pics up then, my neighbour has one of those but I am afraid it hasn't drilled anything (wheat, not sure about rape) this year, too wet.

autopilot

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    Get some pics up then, my neighbour has one of those but I am afraid it hasn't drilled anything (wheat, not sure about rape) this year, too wet.
    Only have a few from the demo on 15th Oct, and yes those are shadows from the sun in the first image - probably the only sun throughout October!

First two images drilling after OSR, no cultivation after the combine apart from tramlines flatlifted. OSR volunteers left until week before drilling and then glyphosate.

Next three images direct drilled onto growing crop of oil radish. Still not burnt off as I wanted to try a few metres to see if the wheat will grow through the radish and see if the frost will kill the cover crop for me without spraying.

I will see if the wheat is showing through enough to get some post drilling images this week.

Badshot

It looks like there is less disturbance there than he has, but he has the guttlers on the back.

Badshot

Solstice on the hill DD'd (325 seeds/m, or 150kg/ha)without any prior cults or raking or rolling, would have been nice to roll after drilling though.

The field I was drilling in the video at the start of the thread.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

And another couple.

And the not so good

It was tooooooo wet at drilling, but only 10 acres out of 200 so could have been worse.

So what are your opinions so far ? Are you going direct drill more or less this year ? What drill spacings are you on ? I like the simplicity and low cost to your system, have you compared it to anything else such as a claydon, JD etc ?

Opinion so far is it looks well on the whole, I wouldn't have got much planted last autumn doing it with cults, be that min till or plough. The drill is on 5 inch spacing, have been thinking about moving some tines closer together to give a band effect, and help with trash flow. The KV wouldn't DD in a dry time at all I don't think but patience is a virtue and all that.

I have been watching claydons for a while and while impressed with the crops, I feel at the moment it is a close call as to whether I'd gain anything by using one. My neighbour has been DD'ing for years with various disc based drills, until last year when most of the farm got ploughed in a last ditch attempt to plant some crops so have come to the conclusion that a tine is probably a safer bet than a disc on this heavy land.

How much to DD this year? Depends on the weather and residue issues after little autumn herbicides being applied, I will aim to do what I can but this may be limited. A narrower point would be nice to reduce the cultivation efffect a bit.

What I have learnt is a more effective following harrow is required, and also on the first pass to put the seed in then leave to dry off a bit then roll with the paddles down and roll again after (so twice) to really firm things up again.

Quick update, after a very trying year and being forced into DD'ing wheat last back end the resulting harvest turned out to be far in excess of anything I could have hoped for, embarrasingly so actually.

Full of confidence now I have DD'd my rape this year with a very good result too, and intend to DD all of my wheat staring next week.

This was the field in the video at harvest.