Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International 1055 - Project

Woody3

International 1055 - Project

Hello everybody,

My first post, so please play nice! I've been browsing these forums for a while, but have finally been approved to make a post .

Well, I've just bought an IH 1055. Can't tell you much more about it than that .

I was after a "small'ish" tractor, but cut a long story short, I ended up with something a bit bigger I have absolutely no experience with tractors, besides sitting in a few while on the move when I was a kid. Fools and their money hey?

What I do know is that it was sold to me as a "project". I have no idea what is wrong with it, but apparently it may have overheated OR lost oil pressure or both. It is still supposed to start, but I'm yet to try it yet, although it does turn over. It has been dry stored for a good number of years (last tax 2001), but has stood outside for about a year.

So, why have I joined this forum? Well, I'm after a bit (a lot) of help and advice (not just on the tractor, but other aspects too) and you seem to be a friendly bunch, so I'm hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Well, the 1055 was first registered in 1978 (T reg). It's done circa 8000 hours. The previous owner tells me, he was towing a trailer, noticed engine temp started to get a bit high, so he pulled over to top her up with water, however, the water level was fine. He got it back to the yard (about 1 mile away) and noticed the oil light had come on. Details of this story are very sketchy, so I'm not taking anything for granted.

The engine is a D358.

What I do know is, that there is no water in the oil, so at least that's one good point. It looks like the coolant has been drained (hopefully another good thing), but I'm missing the drainplug (any ideas on size, thread etc?) and also there seems to be another plug missing on the engine block (to the rear of the first fuel filter). I'm guessing it's meant to be a plug of some description as it's a thread hole. Again, does anyone know what size plug is required?

Here are a few pictures of the old girl (the tractor, not the missus):

A tad oily

Any ideas why I seem to have a separate hydraulic tank as below? All other 1055's don't seem to have this?

Drain plug on radiator:

I look forward to your replies!

Thanks

john8210

Re: International 1055 - Project

hi welcome to bff!! the plug thats missing in the rear ofthe filters will be the engine block coolant drain. not sure on the thread size though, your probably best to get the correct ones from your newarest case dealer. best job will be to get her filled up with coolant and see if it will start. the temp prob could be as simple as a stuck thermostat. the extra hydarulic tank is because the 55 series held bugger all oil in the main tank so couldnt tip twin ram trailers, i had a mint 955 that had a very tidy aux tank fitted to it. we have a turboed 955 on the farm now , need a bit of cosmetic tlc but she is a good strong tractor. the main thing with these to watch for is the transmission oil level. it gets neglected, its the bung behind the left hand step , it about a 30mm size and sits in a tin plate. people asume that the hyd oil tank does all back end stuff and then over time the trans gets starved of oil and the first thing to go is the diff. then you may as well scrap it! be best to change the trans oil. it takes gear oil ep90 i think. hytran oil in the hydraulics. looks like you will need a back window. these can be had from a KRAMP dealer for sensible money. look out if you aint got the frames for the rear window cos they cost a fortune. they are a very good tractor if you keep them well maintained, couple of pics of our old en , shes gone now, too good to use

Big Vern

dont no a lot about them it does look like you may be missing a prop sahft aswell..
    thats definatley a project,, good luck. there will be a heap of sensible help a;
    long shortly..
    the fella from up north in classic tractor has had a few big IH, he gets on here sure he will have some suggestions on the way ahead

essexpete

You can post!

4wd prop missing, any reasons?

Gapples

Dam fine tractors but then im biased ! That transmission oil level bung behind yhe lhs steps is 32mm & yes, its ep90 gear oil. If you dont want the expense of hytran oil you usr standard hyd oil in the hyd system provided you all hytran out first as it dont mix very well.
    You need to get the correct taper bung for engine block & drain bung for the sump.
    Just your questions & we'll do our best to help you.

cyrush

Look at serial no plate to see where it was made??

Germany, it will have the " Fritzmier comfort 2000 cab as shown in tractor parts list.

france, it is a Timmerman cab ( looks similar to Fritzmier but is different !!!) and uses a separate parts listing for cab. From memory the listing ref is CT 5 FR.

johndeere2130

Nice little kubota digger there too!

If you can get the engine started, or do, and if you come to the conclusion of an engine rebuild, what i would do to save time and a lot of money rebuilding an old tractor that is never going to do heavy field work again, is to search for a tractor breakers yard.
    You could pick up a complete working engine which will you can just bolt in and then go back for all the other bits, like the rear window screen

Also these breakers, especilly if they only break internationals will give you lots of expert advice.

International were ahead of their time in terms of technology compared with mf and ford of the same era

Im always on the look out for a 4cly 74/84/85 series non runner, as i will go straight to the breakers for a replacment engine after viewing and agreeing to buy the non runner befor i even have it home!

Ad

The tinwork looks almost rust free for it's age with a good hot wash i bet it would come up well.

Test the engine and if it's a dud i would go with JD2130's advice and hunt for a replacement. You need to find out the history behind the propshaft, it's been taken off for a reason, may be stuck in 4wd a problem with the transmission? or if you're lucky it could be a uj gone.

essexpete

Richard W (on another forum) has pointed out that the extra hyd tank may be the reason for prop removal. That would be a result.

Woody3

First of all thank you for all of your replies.

Essexpete - thank you for contacting the mods to approve me . Yes, I misinterpreted what RichardW had put RE: the propshaft - I thought he was asking if I had interfered with the hydraulic tank, whoops! Will ask the farmer the history behind it.

John - very nice looking tractor in the photo's. It has given me something to aspire to.

The Kubota is also mine. That's another story to tell :lolk:

I've ordered drainplugs for both Radiator and Engine block, 15.00+vat for both. Hoping they are made of gold . Not sure when they will arrive.

Yes, the tinwork is in decent condition considering. It is ridicoulously dirty, but I want to get her running before I clean her up. Does anyone know of any reputable breakers just in case?

I will have a look as to where it was made. The farmer has got the rear screen for it, and I have one of the hydraulic struts/arms, but he's yet to give it me.

I will also make sure all fluids etc are topped up. At least I know where to look for the transmission one now.

I think I've responded to everyone so far.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll keep you updated as I progress

john8210

what you have there is a timmerman cab, almost certainly built in france. i would not entertaint changine the engine in your tractor , if on the black side it needs an engine rebuild, a kit can be got for a fraction of the cost of a replacement engine. good D358 tractor engines od not come cheap.
    when i rang around breakers looking for one for a project earlier this year , the cheapest i could find was 1500 and the condition was unknown. unless the block is damaged you better of doing up up what you have and you know it will be right ,but then everyone entitled to there own opinion as for breakers
    rob chaddock 07774257904
    ron greet 01803812269

Rusty#1

Quote Originally Posted by john8210 View Post
    what you have there is a timmerman cab, almost certainly built in france. i would not entertaint changine the engine in your tractor , if on the black side it needs an engine rebuild, a kit can be got for a fraction of the cost of a replacement engine. good D358 tractor engines od not come cheap.
    when i rang around breakers looking for one for a project earlier this year , the cheapest i could find was 1500 and the condition was unknown. unless the block is damaged you better of doing up up what you have and you know it will be right ,but then everyone entitled to there own opinion as for breakers
    rob chaddock 07774257904
    ron greet 01803812269
    +1 do up what youve got, do it once and do it right,

john did you by a 955 of me about five years ago? i sold one and we dropped it of up your way somewhere, it was immaculate and also had a very tidy extra oil tank i think

be interested to watch this project come along keep the updates coming

Woody3

Just a quick update...

It is definitely a Timmerman cab and looks to have been built in France.

Just had a crawl underneath to see why the propshaft isn't connected. Well, the reason being, there is nowhere for the propshaft to connect to. There seems to be no front output shaft? I'll try and get a photo uploaded later of the underneath.

Hmm...

ETA: Is there a Haynes Manual equivalent for IH 1055's? Could do with investing in one...

mf165

I bought a levelling box handle off these lot and they were very helpful:

http://www.mcdonaghengineering.com/u...se%20parts.htm

They seemed happy about shipping stuff over the water.

James

agrotron 150.7

Quote Originally Posted by Woody3 View Post
    Just a quick update...

It is definitely a Timmerman cab and looks to have been built in France.

Just had a crawl underneath to see why the propshaft isn't connected. Well, the reason being, there is nowhere for the propshaft to connect to. There seems to be no front output shaft? I'll try and get a photo uploaded later of the underneath.

Hmm...

ETA: Is there a Haynes Manual equivalent for IH 1055's? Could do with investing in one...
    Not a haynes but a ih workshop manual for this tractor is money well spent

cyrush

I could prepare a manual for you, but there is a cost ???

Factory manual consists of several different sections??? Send me a P M!!!

4 wd output shaft and transfer box would be inside of l/hand rear wheel behind that additional hydraulic tank, with engaging lever in cab on l/hand side of seat???

john8210

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty#1 View Post
    +1 do up what youve got, do it once and do it right,

john did you by a 955 of me about five years ago? i sold one and we dropped it of up your way somewhere, it was immaculate and also had a very tidy extra oil tank i think

be interested to watch this project come along keep the updates coming
    No, the tidy one of them came from a chap in Northampton who had it from new and the other came from haycocks in Cambridge . I've not seen another 955 around here?

chris696

Go to

http://www.caseih.com/uk/Pages/cpc_l...taSet=001CSIHE

You have to register but you get the parts book for every Case IH from 1970? onwards.

You can learn a bit from the drawings if nothing else.

Regards

Chris

ReidyNZ

what you have there is a timmerman cab, almost certainly built in france. i would not entertain changing the engine in your tractor , if on the black side it needs an engine rebuild, a kit can be got for a fraction of the cost of a replacement engine. good D358 tractor engines od not come cheap.
    rob chaddock 07774257904
    ron greet 01803812269

I endorse that comment

axial1680

It could be warming up because of a blocked radiator or radiator core. I would steam clean the engine and radiator, then change the engine oil plus filters and refill with coolant. Also change the oil pressure sender and check the wiring for it. Then run it and see how it goes. If it still warms up it probably needs a new radiator as the core is blocked. Looks like if it runs ok it needs a new rocker gasket, would do the tappets while I'm in there. Then once you know the engine is ok you can start on other stuff.
    Paul

Rusty#1

No, the tidy one of them came from a chap in Northampton who had it from new and the other came from haycocks in Cambridge . I've not seen another 955 around here?
    mmm maybe it was closer to lancaster thinkin about it, its the one on here http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/sho...t=72866&page=2 was all totally original not a spot of rot anywhere

john8210

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty#1 View Post
    mmm maybe it was closer to lancaster thinkin about it, its the one on here http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/sho...t=72866&page=2 was all totally original not a spot of rot anywhere
    no its not that one, mine was in similar condition, good old machines

Woody3

Just another quick update.

I spoke to the original owner yesterday and I asked him about the front propshaft; In short, it snapped in two, but as it did, it broke the front casing of the transfer box (as it tried to lift the back end of the tractor up), so now it just has a plate on. Apparently it only needs the front casing and it'll be fine, oh and a propshaft.

Just sat waiting for these plugs to arrive, then I can do some work on her.

Do you think it's worth buying an oil pressure tester or would this be a waste of money?

cyrush

If there are any problems in the steering or hydraulic systems then you will need to pressure test them to determine the cause of the problem!!

Gapples

Quote Originally Posted by Woody3 View Post
    Just another quick update.

I spoke to the original owner yesterday and I asked him about the front propshaft; In short, it snapped in two, but as it did, it broke the front casing of the transfer box (as it tried to lift the back end of the tractor up), so now it just has a plate on. Apparently it only needs the front casing and it'll be fine, oh and a propshaft.

Just sat waiting for these plugs to arrive, then I can do some work on her.

Do you think it's worth buying an oil pressure tester or would this be a waste of money?
    Pressure gauges are a usefull bit of kit, IF you know what pressures you are looking for & where to put the appropriate gauge's
    Also a flow meter is a cracking piece of kit to have to hand when sorting hydraulics !

cyrush

A service manual, combined with the factory training manual gives all the pressures and fittings and where to use them ???

Gapples

Quote Originally Posted by cyrush View Post
    A service manual, combined with the factory training manual gives all the pressures and fittings and where to use them ???
    Of course & a few years of factory training courses along with alittle in the field knowledge helps the job along

john8210

any progress made??

ED.L

Had a 1055 back in the `80s , a real lugging tractor loads of torque!
    If you are interested in finding out where it was built, the answer is in the chassis number ,letter F means France (st Dizier), letter D means Germany (Neuss).
    Parts are still fairly easy to get and alot of later 56 series parts are compatable except for the gearboxes.

Woody3

Well, she runs!

Started her up this morning and she roared into life. Quite surprised really. Firing on all cylinders too. A couple of leaks here and there, but nothing to worry about. Just got to decide what to do now haha...