Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: International 1055 - Project

john8210

Re: International 1055 - Project

Quote Originally Posted by Woody3 View Post
    Well, she runs!

Started her up this morning and she roared into life. Quite surprised really. Firing on all cylinders too. A couple of leaks here and there, but nothing to worry about. Just got to decide what to do now haha...
    clean out the radiator, maybe put a new thermostat in the cooling system, fix ya leaks and take it for a run and see what happens

agrotron 150.7

Well, she runs!

Started her up this morning and she roared into life. Quite surprised really. Firing on all cylinders too. A couple of leaks here and there, but nothing to worry about. Just got to decide what to do now haha...
    Sell it to me haha

john8210

Quote Originally Posted by agrotron 150.7 View Post
    Sell it to me haha
    you wanna get that 8100 bought good usable tractor for you

agrotron 150.7

Quote Originally Posted by john8210 View Post
    you wanna get that 8100 bought good usable tractor for you
    Aye she looks some weapon al do my best

Woody3

Haha...joking apart you are the third person to ask if I'd be selling her. The missus also says it's too big and lacks the front loader (she does have a point to be fair ), but you know how it is with boys and their toys!

We'll see though. I want to give her a good clean up first and judge from there. Maybe the deep "nasher?" red and the roar of the 6 cylinder will make the gf fall in love with it (fingers crossed hey).

Might get her out the barn tomorrow and arm myself with the jetwash...

I'll keep y'all updated...

john8210

Haha...joking apart you are the third person to ask if I'd be selling her. The missus also says it's too big and lacks the front loader (she does have a point to be fair ), but you know how it is with boys and their toys!

We'll see though. I want to give her a good clean up first and judge from there. Maybe the deep "nasher?" red and the roar of the V6 will make the gf fall in love with it (fingers crossed hey).

i reckon it will clean up a treat , dont look to bad for corrosion either.

agrotron 150.7

We'll see though. I want to give her a good clean up first and judge from there. Maybe the deep "nasher?" red and the roar of the V6 will make the gf fall in love with it (fingers crossed hey).

V6?

Woody3

I have no idea why I said V6?

I reckon the crankshaft oil seal is leaking grrr. Why o why does it have to leak from there? :cry:

agrotron 150.7

I reckon the crankshaft oil seal is leaking grrr. Why o why does it have to leak from there? :cry:
    Just sell it to me and then you dont have to worry about it

john8210

where exactly is it leaking from? sometimes the back 2 centre studs in the sump leak on the threads. if it is one of the end seals , they aint difficult to do, just big and knumb

Woody3

Agrotron 150.7 make me an offer if you like!

I'll try and get a photo of it tonight/tomorrow from where it is coming from. Been busy building drystone walls today, so didn't have time to do anything with the 1055.

One good thing to mention is that the steering works perfectly, oh and the electrics!

Woody3

Just a quick update - today my drain plugs arrived and have since fitted them.

Going to fill her up with coolant and remove the rocker cover to see if any of the valves are sticking.

john8210

Just a quick update - today my drain plugs arrived and have since fitted them.

Going to fill her up with coolant and remove the rocker cover to see if any of the valves are sticking.
    why would you want to do that? if its running ok i would leave it alone. rocker cover gaskets are not cheap and can be a bugger to seal again. take her for a blast and see what happens

Woody3

Well, well, well; She moves - under her own steam!

Really impressed. Took her out of the barn, gave her a quick going over with the jet wash (tinwork and paintwork looks to be in A1 condition), then had a drive around the field. Clutch seems fine, steering is spot on. Not tried PTO etc yet though (not sure what levers do what :lolk.

First bit of work with her involved pulling an old 1960's wheel-less caravan out of a hole/brambles for the bonfire.

She smoked a little on start up, but cleared once she had been running for a few minutes. She idles well, but I'm sure she knocks further up the rev range. Didn't really want to put her under too much load.

She has one oil leak, which I'm convinced is the rear crankshaft oil seal .

She is leaking between either the crankcase and flywheel housing OR flywheel housing and gear box. Need to confirm this.

Any ideas what may have caused the leak?

ETA: There is only a leak when the engine is running.

john8210

the oil seals are made of some sort of rubber and as they get old they get hard and dont seal, the metal ring it runs on can wear too, easy fix but tractor will need to be split in half and thats not easy if you havnt got the gear. you talk of the engine knocking higher up the rev range? does the oil presure light on the dash come on with the ignition , then go out once she has started? could be part of its original problem?? can you video it running and the noise , then put it on here so we can here it, then we may be able to help more.

Woody3

Thanks for your replies John.

I don't really have the gear to split it in half . Only have tools for working on 4x4's at most.

The oil light comes on when I switch the ignition on, but turns off once running; I've not noticed it come back on when the revs pick up, but will check.

I will try and do a video tomorrow and post it on here. Also showing the oil leak.

Many thanks

essexpete

Thanks for your replies John.

I don't really have the gear to split it in half . Only have tools for working on 4x4's at most.

The oil light comes on when I switch the ignition on, but turns off once running; I've not noticed it come back on when the revs pick up, but will check.

I will try and do a video tomorrow and post it on here. Also showing the oil leak.

Many thanks
    Be careful because I do not think there needs to be much oil pressure for the light to come on. What I mean is if it is flickering then you have got low pressure although the switch can be at fault sometimes.

Woody3

Hi Pete,

The light doesn't flicker at all, but I am keeping an eye on the oil level due to the amount of oil leaking out of the flywheel housing. Really could do with borrowing an oil pressure tester though.

Can one assume that the oil pump is working because it only leaks when the engine is running?

I'm just uploading the video onto youtube. Not sure how good the sound quality will be, but we shall see...

Woody3

ih685xl

Certainly looks like rear crank seal is leaking, if you decide to do it send me a pm, always got them in stock.

john8210

stroll on, that is a hell of a leak from that seal, i think that has to be a priority :cry:. dont know if its the sound quality on the video but it sounds like it aint running right ??? hopefully not eh? you will know how it should sound. you should be able to get a competant local mobile mechanic to come and do that seal for you if you cant tackle it yourself. one decent bottle jack and a large commercial type trolley jack will do the job, everything is easy to get at to split it. you will also need to drain the oil from the hydraulic tank under l/h step.

essexpete

Just a guess but it may be better to stand back further away when recording??

Woody3

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I had to do the video in a rush as I was meant to be building a bonfire. The video does make it sound 10 times worse than what it is. I'll try and do another video further away tomorrow. It's a pain to start as I have to use the battery out of my mini digger, so it's not a case of just jumping in and turning the key.

I've been reading about cracked crankshafts on these engines. Would an engine run with a damaged crankshaft? Just need to eliminate some possible causes, before I take the next step. Don't want to start throwing money at it until I'm 100% sure it can be fixed...

agrotron 150.7

Hmm does sound rough these engine normaly run lyk a sewing machine

john8210

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I had to do the video in a rush as I was meant to be building a bonfire. The video does make it sound 10 times worse than what it is. I'll try and do another video further away tomorrow. It's a pain to start as I have to use the battery out of my mini digger, so it's not a case of just jumping in and turning the key.

I've been reading about cracked crankshafts on these engines. Would an engine run with a damaged crankshaft? Just need to eliminate some possible causes, before I take the next step. Don't want to start throwing money at it until I'm 100% sure it can be fixed...
    too be honost ive never heard of a 6 break a crankshaft, usually just the 4 cylinders, not saying it cant though. you would certainly know about it if the crank was broken, it would still run but it would knock and vibrate like hell.

Woody3

Sorry chaps - not had chance to start her up again since t'other day. Will get another video done asap.

John - could the crankshaft be scored, not cracked, causing the knock?

Gapples

I agree with John, very unlikely to break a crank on that 6 cyl engine, not many broke on 4 cyls, only ones I ever saw were on the 268 engine in the 885s

On the knock I would be trying to narrow it down to a particular cylinder if possible by slackening each injector in turn & listen to the change in engine note, if any, then take off the rocker cover & check the tappets, I have seen a push rod come out on these engines before. Once you are happy that the valves/tappets are set right ( 12 thou cold ) & you have narrowed the noise/knock down to maybe just one cyl, try swapping over an injector from a good cyl & repeat the test of slackening injectors again.

A scoured crank itself won't cause a knock, an engine won't start knocking untill the big ends or small ends are worn !

Woody3

First of all, apologies for the lack of posts on this thread.

I've not had a chance to do anything to her as of late. I'm still unsure what to do in all honesty.

Over Christmas I had been thinking of selling her and buying something smaller, which sounds a bit of a cop out, but I'm just not finding any time to work on her. I might stick her on the eBay this week and see what happens, seeming it is free listing. If it doesn't sell, then I'll start to invest in a rear crankshaft oil seal, a welder to fabricate a splitting rail, a couple of bottle jacks etc etc...

Gapples I had missed your reply, so will give that a go if it doesn't sell.

I'll keep y'all updated