Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Classic" high tech tractors.

REB1952

Re: "Classic" high tech tractors.

How far off would it be say that most older classics are collected by older people and they are most confident with the technology they grew up with? In years to come, many of the new machines now will be collected be people who grew up with electronics and I expect they will be much more confident/knowledgeable with what the stuff.

I reckon I have a better chance of being able to make an electronic draft control system from basic parts than a mechanical system, which many decades ago was considered high tech.

Nearly

I've recently bought an NH 8340, which we (myself and father) discounted as a complicated tractor when they came out new. Have my opinions changed or have I just got older (now 43) ?
    I use the reason for buying it that the old loader (off 7840 sl dp) will just bolt onto it but that may just be an excuse!

Tha Ulsterscot

While on a "Vintage" visit in Scotland we were being shown round a collection by a Main Dealer ( I'll not mention what make) and as we were walking past a row of new tractors, I asked "How many of those will still be working in 50 years time?" the answer came "None, because a manufacturer only has to make spare parts for a product for 10 years after they cease production of that model. therefore when the supply of spare" brains " are used up, the tractor is scrap. Because it would not be cost effective to have a brain made for them" This was the opinion of a Main agent for a current major manufacturer, not mine, but I think he knows what he is talking about.

AandR

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ulsterscot View Post
    While on a "Vintage" visit in Scotland we were being shown round a collection by a Main Dealer ( I'll not mention what make) and as we were walking past a row of new tractors, I asked "How many of those will still be working in 50 years time?" the answer came "None, because a manufacturer only has to make spare parts for a product for 10 years after they cease production of that model. therefore when the supply of spare" brains " are used up, the tractor is scrap. Because it would not be cost effective to have a brain made for them" This was the opinion of a Main agent for a current major manufacturer, not mine, but I think he knows what he is talking about.
    This is partly true but so long as the demand for the spares are still there after the ten year period then they would be daft not to supply them, its all money in the bank. of cause if they only sell one particular part per year then maybe not worth restocking/remanufactoring it.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by AandR View Post
    This is partly true but so long as the demand for the spares are still there after the ten year period then they would be daft not to supply them, its all money in the bank. of cause if they only sell one particular part per year then maybe not worth restocking/remanufactoring it.
    For instance, there is no problem getting a new brain for a 1986 MF3000 series tractor. They finished making those tractors about 20 years ago.

Thing is, the new brain will not be the same old brain they used in 1986. The new part will be a current new part in use today or not long ago. The latest technology. It will come with an adaptor loom to fit the old tractor and will be loaded with the last modified software suitable for that model with the options fitted to it, by the dealer off his laptop.
    There are probably plenty of breakers around to source parts cheaper as long as there is no rush.

Now whether that is true for some low volume or obscure models is another thing entirely. I know with some certainty from experience that one model from one brand that is only about 12 years old is very difficult to source such parts for. Buyer beware.