Thread: 2nd Wheat

Yorkie3

2nd Wheat

Latitude , Jockey or SP .with later drilling slots can we get away with cheaper options.I have some continuous wheat and some 2 nd wheat to go in home saved. Just wondered if i could save a bit. Thanks y3

Beltbreaker

Re: 2nd Wheat

I have used Galmano+ (latitude??) over the last couple of yerars on Grafton. I left one 24m bout treated but with Redigo instead (same seed) and yield reducion was 20-25% (3.5t-2.7t) according to yield monitor. Bushel wt dropped from 76 to 68. I guess most of the reduction came here. No difference in any other treatment.

In my opinion pay the money but then again it was drilled early October in the far north of Scotland so probably counts for f all to anyone south of the Queensferry.

Cheers BB

DM

Wouldn't think you should need a specific take all seed dressing on the continuous stuff.

What variety of home saved do you have? If it's a good perfomer as a second wheat i'd be tempted not to bother now that it's mid October. May be worthwhile if it's poor as a second like Robigus was.

Yorkie3

continuous will be mainly Grafton R deter left over from 1 st wheat due to lower tgw. 2nd will be Viscount.y3

gone up the hill

2nd wheat will defo need a latitude dressing unless you are prepared and happy to take a 30% yield drop, what has been in wheat for several years you should be okay with but personally with the price of wheat i would bite the bullet and dress that for take all as well, too late next spring if it does end up with Take all..

Hornet

Rooting will be poor this autumn if it stays wet, anything to keep those roots healthy must be an advantage, latituded all 2nd wheats and 3rd cereal w barley