Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Bushel weights

banana bar

Low Bushel weights

Just a thought. I am very fortunate that I have no hideous low specific weights ( average 70). When threatened of 50 -60 claims would it not be best to store for the year and blend away into hopefully a better quality crop next season? Not thought this through but just pondering!!

BB

Oilseed

Re: Low Bushel weights

No room and the price could be 50 lower next year.

clover

Quote Originally Posted by banana bar View Post
    Just a thought. I am very fortunate that I have no hideous low specific weights ( average 70). When threatened of 50 -60 claims would it not be best to store for the year and blend away into hopefully a better quality crop next season? Not thought this through but just pondering!!

BB
    If you have the storage and the finance and the guts,why not? The wheat price may,or may not,be much less next harvest.But if you keep it long enough,or use financial tools, I've no doubt wheat will reach current levels again in the years ahead.If you have cash to do it without borrowing,and storage to do it without renting,it looks like a reasonable proposition to me.If youre having to finance the thing through bank borrowing,and pay rent for storage,it looks a bit more scarey.

mbsrhol

Quote Originally Posted by banana bar View Post

BB
    How about dressing it very hard to match the required spec. You can sell the bulk of the grain and you only have to keep the screenings and blend them appropriately next year.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by mbsrhol View Post
    How about dressing it very hard to match the required spec. You can sell the bulk of the grain and you only have to keep the screenings and blend them appropriately next year.
    this is what we are doing - will have 60t./hr cleaner up and running by next week hopefully !

cleaner will pay for itself the first week it runs I reckon !

MJB

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    this is what we are doing - will have 60t./hr cleaner up and running by next week hopefully !

cleaner will pay for itself the first week it runs I reckon !
    Put that on a lorry chassis with a generator and you could offer a reasonably lucrative mobile service, this year.

Matt

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post
    Put that on a lorry chassis with a generator and you could offer a reasonably lucrative mobile service, this year.

Matt
    am doing just that ! got a fair few t of our own to go at first though !

clover

am doing just that ! got a fair few t of our own to go at first though !
    Have you done some test samples? If so,whats the improvement going to be?

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by clover View Post
    Have you done some test samples? If so,whats the improvement going to be?
    Variety dependant but for Soltice a 2mm lab sieve takes it from ave 68 up to ave 74 and only takes about 2% weight

it's all milling spec if I can get it to 74 so total no brainer given current premiums

agricontract

Reso have a dedicated cleaning wagon

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by agricontract View Post
    do you know what / how they charge ?

agricontract

They did tell me but carnt remember i think it was by the hour not the ton do you want me to ring them On Monday for You

Clive

They did tell me but carnt remember i think it was by the hour not the ton do you want me to ring them On Monday for You
    don't go to any trouble on my behalf ! but I have had a few requests to put stuff through this cleaner already before it's even up and running and have no idea what to charge !

barleymow

don't go to any trouble on my behalf ! but I have had a few requests to put stuff through this cleaner already before it's even up and running and have no idea what to charge !
    I believe Anglian grain services charge 400 a day and can do 80 to 100 tons a days

bob k

I think they've got 4, big un does 60 an hour.

Grain_Buyer

25mt/hr- 110 per hour plus traveling time.

JohnDeere8530

do you know what / how they charge ?
    for a 10/t hr machine on lorry delivered and manned they charge 600 for an 8-10 hr operation period.

AGS are booked right up too, so money to be had this yr

Krampeman

Put 300t of gallant through a 12t Master drier fitted with a cleaner and raised the bushel from 66 to 73/74 quite easily. We had 8 x 45 gallon drums of crap and 50kg of chaff. I was presently surprised to be honest as I thought we were going to need a trailer to keep removing the rubbish.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Krampeman View Post
    Put 300t of gallant through a 12t Master drier fitted with a cleaner and raised the bushel from 66 to 73/74 quite easily. We had 8 x 45 gallon drums of crap and 50kg of chaff. I was presently surprised to be honest as I thought we were going to need a trailer to keep removing the rubbish.
    were you drying as well or just using it to clean ?

yellow belly

would more wind on the combine have done the same or was the grain very wet

20 % grain will be 5 to 8 kg lighter than 14.5 %

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Oilseed View Post
    No room and the price could be 50 lower next year.
    Not if you fixed it right now?

yellow belly

if every one refused to deliver low bushel wheat the grain price of low bushel wheat would have to rise as the replacement wheat would cost a lot more

but that would never happen as most farmers do not have deep enough pockets to wait

bob k

Don't you mean wheatfeed Lee

Panzer III

Quote Originally Posted by yellow belly View Post
    if every one refused to deliver low bushel wheat the grain price of low bushel wheat would have to rise as the replacement wheat would cost a lot more

but that would never happen as most farmers do not have deep enough pockets to wait
    Refusing to sell low bushel weight wheat is one thing, defaulting on an existing contract is another. As mentioned, dress out the lights over a screen, and mix them in with next years harvest - or home feed where appropriate. It will only cost you your time and a bit of electricity when all is said and done.

I dont think a 12 claim is that bad for crap quality down to an absolute minimum of 65KG. I would want a bigger discount if I was buying my own (bloody awful) wheat to be honest!.

But then again, the worst of my feed wheat is 63.9Kg, and doesnt have a market, so I will be sending all my feed wheat back through the drying plant to suck out more lights Its not the buyers fault that I opened this years sales (2 years ago) at 140 which hopefully will pay up at 128 a tonne. Thankfully it was only an opening gambit.

Seat Right Back

Hmmmmm , cunning plan Mr Banana Bar

but I can see 1 problem with your plan ,

you need some wheat in the grain store next year to blend it with

at this moment in time the only grain that we might have in a shed will be the crap seed that we have brought this year

Grain_Buyer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer III View Post
    Refusing to sell low bushel weight wheat is one thing, defaulting on an existing contract is another. As mentioned, dress out the lights over a screen, and mix them in with next years harvest - or home feed where appropriate. It will only cost you your time and a bit of electricity when all is said and done.

I dont think a 12 claim is that bad for crap quality down to an absolute minimum of 65KG. I would want a bigger discount if I was buying my own (bloody awful) wheat to be honest!.

But then again, the worst of my feed wheat is 63.9Kg, and doesnt have a market, so I will be sending all my feed wheat back through the drying plant to suck out more lights Its not the buyers fault that I opened this years sales (2 years ago) at 140 which hopefully will pay up at 128 a tonne. Thankfully it was only an opening gambit.
    WOW!!! Have you been smoking something this weekend??? That's not the fire and brimstone damnation of merchants I'm used to from you!!!

Panzer III

Quote Originally Posted by Grain_Buyer View Post
    WOW!!! Have you been smoking something this weekend??? That's not the fire and brimstone damnation of merchants I'm used to from you!!!
    Last time we crossed swords was when the milling wheat was being cut, but since we got into the feed wheat I can now truly say I know what shite wheat looks like, and if I wasn't able to laugh about it...

Anyway, you can rest assured GB that I am trying to fill existing contracts with this 'quality' wheat, so that my decent looking Cordiale is still available to the highest bidder.

But until Gary buys it, your welcome to come over for a sample and a brew anyway

tchris

Why should we be penalized when bushels are below 72, we certainly ain`t rewarded when they are above

Big Vern

im just a thick squaddie and a part time farm labourer..
    i can see how your grain needs to hit a specific "quality" say to be brewing grain..

but (and this is where i hope someone will explain) and not take the piss... if your wheat is going to a mill to be ground and made into pig food, chicken food, dairy cake what difference does it make if it has a bushell weight of 51 or 81..
    whilst i can see that a heavier berry weighs more.. a ton of wheat is a ton of wheat..
    please feel free to enlighten me but as many have said yo dont get any extra for a high weight..

Jim Bullock

Gosh Lee..you are doing well to be able raise your bushel weights with so little waste...I have just cleaned 300 tons on Oakley from 62...to something above 65 (I hope) and so far I have had four "eight ton trailer" loads of rubbish...and this is the second time over the cleaner....
    I could get our wheat up to 70 ish but we would be throwing half of it away...better IMO to think that the wheat you sold at 190/ton is actually only 140/ton and anything you get over 140 is a bonus (Land agents please note these figures when quoting 200/ton when re-negotiating rents..)