Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Low Bushel weights

homefarm

Re: Low Bushel weights

Here is a Canadian experts view on possible export to UK posted on a Canadian forum

North American wheaty prices are pretty much
    disconnected from Europe at this point. $11/bu
    wheat in England would likely be under $8/bu after
    all freight deductions (rail to Thunder Bay or St.
    Lawrence), seaway costs, ocean freight, handling at
    your end). Our feed grain market is paying more than
    this now.

$11/bu is about 250/tonne I believe, so Canada needs more that 250 before they are interested in sending us feed wheat.

Grain_Buyer

Quote Originally Posted by homefarm View Post
    Here is a Canadian experts view on possible export to UK posted on a Canadian forum

North American wheaty prices are pretty much
    disconnected from Europe at this point. $11/bu
    wheat in England would likely be under $8/bu after
    all freight deductions (rail to Thunder Bay or St.
    Lawrence), seaway costs, ocean freight, handling at
    your end). Our feed grain market is paying more than
    this now.

$11/bu is about 250/tonne I believe, so Canada needs more that 250 before they are interested in sending us feed wheat.
    france? german? swedish? maize switch? Or UK imports finished product?

homefarm

Grainbuyer
    Just a reply to this post

It costs 10 a tonne to put wheat onto a lorry and drive from Oxford to Manchester.

It costs 15 a tonne to put wheat onto a boat and sail from the US to the UK.

Shipping is very cheap per mile covered.

Wheat and maize may be available in all the countries you list but like an auction, the price the hammer falls at is not the price at which you could have bought the lot.

The UK at the auction as a buyer rather than a seller must make a difference.

What about our export customers have they sorted their requirements elsewhere?

static

Our feed grain market is paying more than
    this now.
    But the argument says that, whereas they are paying above this now, they may not be later in the season. They may be paying a premium now to secure supplies. A farm may be able to sit on its hands and keep 200t of wheat in the shed, but I daresay a mill or factory running a pretty-much continuous process cannot let itself be in a situation where it would need to shut down.

The nature of the beast says that we have little idea of what has been imported to date, nor that is "on the books" for later.

I for one dont want to be left holding a stock of duff wheat that no-one wants to buy. Sell now. Buy option. Forget about it.

JCB_3230

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    i have some 66kg warrior.

could put it through a bryan and carrik dresser to get to 68. is it worth it for a soft wheat? merchants dont seem run the hagburg tests @ 66 and below!
    Similar thing here.. I have some Target that the mill says is 68.7 I test it at 71

the premium the merchant is paying is only 8.. so its not worth getting a mobile cleaner in... is it??

JCB_3230

Quote Originally Posted by Krampeman View Post
    Do they have a choice though? I think it's slowly dawning on them that if they want quality wheat it's going to cost them a lot because as we've been telling them for 6 months the UK harvest is at the very least 30% down on tonnage with very little quality to boot.

So they either take our crap or they stump up and import quality at a very high cost.

What they should be doing is trying to do a deal with us all to help them out instead of pleading ignorance.
    spot on... I am fed up of bringing perfectly good wheat home...

the mills will be jiggered soon.. cos they are rejecting almost 50% of the loads.. where I have just been.. earlier today

JCB_3230

Quote Originally Posted by Condi View Post
    You can buy 50,000t of imported wheat at less than 250 and it will be identical across the whole sample, which is nigh on impossible for a merchant to source from the UK. That consistency is worth the 5/t extra on top of UK prices for a lot of mills in the time they save faffing around and sampling or turning away loads. Its hardly 'very high cost' any more than all wheat is 'very high cost' this year.

I think we will see increasing penalties for low bushel weight wheat as buyers look abroad, which is relatively getting cheaper against UK prices. No point thinking you can hold buyers to ransom when there is wheat available in Europe at what is increasingly becoming an attractive price. As soon as the problems in the UK became apparent buyers started to look for alternatives, for a while they had to use UK stuff while they evaluated what else was out there, now it seems they have a fair idea about what there is and what to do with it to get the result they want.
    I suppose all these 50,000 tonne vessels are quality assured???
    Like our UK grain has to be....

Crazybull

Quote Originally Posted by JCB_3230 View Post
    I suppose all these 50,000 tonne vessels are quality assured???
    Like our UK grain has to be....

Basically Yes, most countries of origin have their own certification bodies, which are recognised around the world.

mbsrhol

It costs 15 a tonne to put wheat onto a boat and sail from the US to the UK.
    I bet it is more than another 15 to get it to dockside.

willb

Quote Originally Posted by mbsrhol View Post
    I bet it is more than another 15 to get it to dockside.
    and then transported again to the end user....

czechmate

spot on... I am fed up of bringing perfectly good wheat home...

the mills will be jiggered soon.. cos they are rejecting almost 50% of the loads.. where I have just been.. earlier today

What are they rejecting for?

JCB_3230

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybull View Post
    No sorry the point hasn't been missed, i can buy wheat forward, as can a mill for June or July movement, thus ensuring a supply for June and or July, yes free market grain might be getting tight by then but a lot of sensible millers will have bought their monthly supplies.

C B
    the flour mill I have been delivering to.. are rejecting 50% of ALL the loads that go in, so somewhere things are going to get messy!

JCB_3230

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
    What are they rejecting for?
    Everything, low bushel, ergot, hagberg to name a few

Grain_Buyer

Everything, low bushel, ergot, hagberg to name a few
    but in an earlier post- " I am fed up of bringing perfectly good wheat home...

the mills will be jiggered soon.. cos they are rejecting almost 50% of the loads.. where I have just been.. earlier today ".

JCB- you've just answered your own question. I would suggest the mill would be more "jiggered" if they took the low kg, ergot (!!!) low hag wheat. How about seeing it from the mill or buyers side for a change.

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by Grain_Buyer View Post

the mills will be jiggered soon.. cos they are rejecting almost 50% of the loads.. where I have just been.. earlier today ".

JCB- you've just answered your own question. I would suggest the mill would be more "jiggered" if they took the low kg, ergot (!!!) low hag wheat. How about seeing it from the mill or buyers side for a change.

That's extra surely

Crazybull

I think a lot of farmers forget that the mills are generally just 'middle men' as well, the costs of getting a load of flour rejected because it won't do the job the baker wants is ALOT higher than a load of wheat. Plus if it won't bake what do you do with it?? Can't simply downgrade it to feed and move it round the corner to the nearest compounder.

C B

Grain_Buyer

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
    That's extra surely
    Gainsborough's full of Heroin, they don't need ergot!!

static

Gainsborough's full of Heroin, they don't need ergot!!
    I thought Gainsborough's premier grain destination was running on 100% imported grain? Anyhow, they were buggers for rejecting stuff when crops were plentiful, so clearly nothing has changed. I know you are taking it in yourself, but I would rather have stuff sent to Knottingley than end up in there.

Grain_Buyer

they must be using something, but they don't like anything I've sent them so far!!

JCB_3230

Quote Originally Posted by static View Post
    I thought Gainsborough's premier grain destination was running on 100% imported grain? Anyhow, they were buggers for rejecting stuff when crops were plentiful, so clearly nothing has changed. I know you are taking it in yourself, but I would rather have stuff sent to Knottingley than end up in there.
    your not far wrong... there is UK wheat going in, but it's in the minority.. hardly surprising... it is a lot better sample than our stuff... I know I have seen it

JCB_3230

they must be using something, but they don't like anything I've sent them so far!!
    Yes I know the score.... seems to me they don't really want our UK wheat... even if it passes the tests... once there was a queue of trucks going in, now there is a queue of trucks waiting to go out, drivers all on their phones waiting for re-direction instructions.. its bloody depressing... to put it mildly

pylon dodger

Quote Originally Posted by pylon dodger View Post
    Took delivery of our new (to us) opico drier last week and due to gas connections being the wrong fitting we had not been able to dry any, but have put a few laods through just to move a bit that was going a bit fusty in the heap. Managed to get the gas sorted today and dried a load down to around 15% and was surprized how much more chaff/dust came out when it got drier. don't nkow what the bushel was when it went in or when it came out but will start trying a few things tomorrow.

Any tips?

Ok got some results back today

1st laod all through the dryer 68+ bushel 6 claim
    2nd load straight out the shed 63 bushel 16.4 m 23 claim:cry:
    3rd and 4th load 50/50 mix can't remember the bushel but 10 claim

all feed wheat to ensus

honest john

Well the average of all my sample results by Frontier and Openfield was 71 kg/hl. Not had a load tipped that high yet !!
    Vac sampling ?? i guess.

pylon dodger

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    Well the average of all my sample results by Frontier and Openfield was 71 kg/hl. Not had a load tipped that high yet !!
    Vac sampling ?? i guess.

I've often thought about vac sampling not so bad for wheat in a normal year, but for peas and beans or any big seed it just don't seem fair

Grain_Buyer

is there anywhere that doesn't vac sample these days?

pylon dodger

is there anywhere that doesn't vac sample these days?

Liverpool at the minute, Our driver came into the shed whilst loading tonight with a sample bag saying "I might as well get one off the heap it'll save me getting one off the load in the morning"

"you what steve"

"yer spear is broke and guys in lab tell you to get your own sample"

"get a nice clean bit from over there then steve"

tells me on last load out of 4 osr