Thread: Alternatives to GK Mapping

farmerfred

Alternatives to GK Mapping

GK Mapping seems far to expensive to me! Are there any alternatives?

FF

Robert Ramsay

Re: Alternatives to GK Mapping

FarmWorks has excellent precision farming mapping ability. It is owned by Trimble but speaks to everyone.
    Robert

Brisel

Google Earth? Bing?

The Bing images of my farm were taken last September (2011). I even know the day because I can see the drill & have the records...

back'o'beyond

PT-Mapper from Pear Technology

Steevo

They all seem pretty expensive to me as well - I don't think there's a cheap option out there.

Clive

i think its a case of you get what you pay for

Brisel

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfred View Post
    GK Mapping seems far to expensive to me! Are there any alternatives?

FF
    What do you actually want to do with the mapping?

Show yield maps? If you have spent all that money on combine hardware, why not go a little bit further & display it somewhere where you can readily compare it to P/K/pH/Mg or soil texture maps etc?

Measure areas only? Google Earth or Bing are free. There are apps for smart phones that will do that & you can walk/drive around your boundary to measure it. Or you could use an old fashioned land wheel & mathematics...

Do variable rate applications? No real need for mapping as your provider of the data will produce the maps for you.

farmerfred

The main thing I want to do is edit and create field boundaries... And second to that simply have our own maps of the farms fields...

FF

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfred View Post
    The main thing I want to do is edit and create field boundaries... And second to that simply have our own maps of the farms fields...

FF
    Gatekeeper mapping is WAY OTT for that - it's more a tool for farms running VRA kit and precision farming creating there own application maps, also if your not running Gatekeeper for record keeping it's functionality would be a bit limited

you could do what you want for free with google maps

farmerfred

We use GK for all our record keeping so thats not an issue.

As I understand it the VRA and Yield mapping parts of GK Mapping are seperate modules. Approx 350 each!
    You have to buy the base product first of GK Mapping which would be suitable for mapping and field boundary editing... Even that is 400 with an 80 a year support fee!!!!!!!

FF