Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 76

Thread: 2 forums again.

  1. #31
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,064

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Got to agree with these two. Almost feel sorry to have to say so, which is rather odd.
    Thing is, people kept saying that there were many people wanting to join and couldn't, kept wanting to use apps like Tapatalk to access it conveniently from mobile devices, could see that the software was not being updated and that nothing was done to keep it fresh, but possibly didn't know that it was apparently not being backed up.

    All this just begged for someone more enthusiastic and on-the-ball to start a serious alternative and an alternative was up and running before this one stopped chasing its tail let alone communicate with its members as to what was going on.

    I don't 'blame' anyone. In fact I admire Clive's enterprise and enthusiasm. What I deplore is the sniping from members of both forums about it. And the major downside of the previous forum being split and divided. Also it feels like the hard work of the previous management id being belittled in certain quarters and it is not pleasant from my point of view and I'm sure that, being human [allegedly] they are sure to feel pissed-off to say the least.

    But, hey-ho, such is life.
    Fair enough ,as long as you have not forgoten the the help & support that Blue and the Mods have given you over the years when you have come under attack on this forum ,we will all watch with interest what will happen on the other place once the honeymoon is over.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

  2. #32
    Senior Member skoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ruthin ,Denbighshire,N Wales
    Posts
    1,064

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Songsheet View Post
    Well said, PBH! Knock the other forum all you want but I would bet it's there to stay and, while I have no idea whether the huge conspiracy theory holds water, at least they're more open with their members as to what's happening. The problem with this forum is that it refuses to change - same moderators, same attitudes and a reluctance to get a grip with the current technology on offer. I know everyone is ultra busy, especially anyone trying to farm and run a forum such as this one but if that's they way you want to play it , don't kick off when someone else thinks they can do better - it's called a free economy. I am sure this will make me less than popular but I believe it needs saying and all anyone running a forum has to do if they don't have the time themselves to keep everything up-to-date and backed up is ASK THEIR MEMBERSHIP. I am sure there are loads of loyal and more than capable members on this forum who would have been more than pleased to lend a helping hand and would still do so. I will continue to pick and choose where I log on, while still permitted to do so by any forum I have joined but other forums don't get up and running with an enthusiastic bunch of members for no good reason, so it's a great time to do a bit of housekeeping and ensure that your own forum is attractive to be a member of and a good source of info.
    The conspiracy theory is idle gossip IMO





    Personally I think you would make an excellent Mod ,you have my respect .The problem is you are judging this forum on what is on the surface with out knowing the full story.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Cowabunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ceredigion, West Wales
    Posts
    1,221

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Fair enough ,as long as you have not forgoten the the help & support that Blue and the Mods have given you over the years when you have come under attack on this forum ,we will all watch with interest what will happen on the other place once the honeymoon is over.
    Read it again and understand it as I meant it. Forums are not a closed shop and no one forum should be a closed shop whether by design or accident. Fact is, whether Clive gets too busy to run the forum or whether he just runs out of steam, as people do, it is his business and there will always be someone else with fresh new ideas waiting in the sidelines thinking that they can do better. Possibly even delivering on it. Everyone has to move with the times. "And the times, they are a changing", as they always have done. In the words of Van Morrison, "you are only King for a day".
    The Duck 2015

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ceredigion
    Posts
    317

    Re: 2 forums again.

    There's a few wild Lims running loose over there

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ceredigion
    Posts
    317

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Everyone has to move with the times. "And the times, they are a changing", as they always have done. In the words of Van Morrison, "you are only King for a day".
    Was yours the 29 of Feb

  6. #36
    Senior Member Cowabunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ceredigion, West Wales
    Posts
    1,221

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    Was yours the 29 of Feb

    It might have been. In the early 1980's. My memory isn't good enough to give you the exact date but I do remember that the mitre and crown were heavier than I imagined and the rabbit bigger. Unless it was all a dream.
    The Duck 2015

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Fair enough ,as long as you have not forgoten the the help & support that Blue and the Mods have given you over the years when you have come under attack on this forum ,we will all watch with interest what will happen on the other place once the honeymoon is over.
    Exactly. Whatever faults BFF may have had in the past, at least it has been run by Blue for the benefit of the on line community, the users, he's not doing it as an ego trip or a way to make money, despite the ridiculous figures that have been bandied about, the advertising revenue from this site won't do much more than cover the hosting fees.

    Some people have complained about the moderation, but I would suspect they've never had to run a site like this themselves. It isn't always possible to let people say what they want, sometimes because it might put the site in legal jeopardy and sometimes because the people who run the site have a responsibility to the other users who might find what is said hurtful or offensive. When you remove posts, you can't always enter into lengthy discussions about why you did it, because then the site becomes all about why a poster has been censored or banned, rather than agriculture.

    This isn't a democracy, someone has to make a decision, and that decision is inevitably subjective, but the alternative is anarchy. Ten years ago, the primary discussion site for farming in the UK was the UK business Agriculture usenet group (UKBA), usenet is completely unregulated, and UKBA eventually descended into flame wars and trolling, with posters being harassed and threatened in real life by animal rights nut jobs.

    As Skoda alludes to, Clive has operated an open door policy to all the trolls who've been banned from here for good reason, some of them harassed people in real life to the point of threats of legal action being made, how do you think that one will work out for him?

  8. #38
    Member Robigus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    50

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer IV View Post
    Maybe if you tried showing a bit of resolve by only logging into one forum.
    FFS, do you not think your being two faced logging into Clive's rip off of this site, and then posting on the original that "it's tedious" logging on to both?
    It's you and every other unprincipalled and short sighted dual member that gives Clive the Oxygen he needs to survive. Post in one forum, or the other, but don't moan like a bitch about posting in both.
    Of course we could all stick to the other forum, them we wouldn't have to but up with this twaddle.

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    584

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    Exactly. Whatever faults BFF may have had in the past, at least it has been run by Blue for the benefit of the on line community, the users, he's not doing it as an ego trip or a way to make money, despite the ridiculous figures that have been bandied about, the advertising revenue from this site won't do much more than cover the hosting fees.

    Some people have complained about the moderation, but I would suspect they've never had to run a site like this themselves. It isn't always possible to let people say what they want, sometimes because it might put the site in legal jeopardy and sometimes because the people who run the site have a responsibility to the other users who might find what is said hurtful or offensive. When you remove posts, you can't always enter into lengthy discussions about why you did it, because then the site becomes all about why a poster has been censored or banned, rather than agriculture.

    This isn't a democracy, someone has to make a decision, and that decision is inevitably subjective, but the alternative is anarchy. Ten years ago, the primary discussion site for farming in the UK was the UK business Agriculture usenet group (UKBA), usenet is completely unregulated, and UKBA eventually descended into flame wars and trolling, with posters being harassed and threatened in real life by animal rights nut jobs.

    As Skoda alludes to, Clive has operated an open door policy to all the trolls who've been banned from here for good reason, some of them harassed people in real life to the point of threats of legal action being made, how do you think that one will work out for him?

    Just remeber you were banned from here.

  10. #40

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    Exactly. Whatever faults BFF may have had in the past, at least it has been run by Blue for the benefit of the on line community, the users, he's not doing it as an ego trip or a way to make money, despite the ridiculous figures that have been bandied about, the advertising revenue from this site won't do much more than cover the hosting fees.

    Some people have complained about the moderation, but I would suspect they've never had to run a site like this themselves. It isn't always possible to let people say what they want, sometimes because it might put the site in legal jeopardy and sometimes because the people who run the site have a responsibility to the other users who might find what is said hurtful or offensive. When you remove posts, you can't always enter into lengthy discussions about why you did it, because then the site becomes all about why a poster has been censored or banned, rather than agriculture.

    This isn't a democracy, someone has to make a decision, and that decision is inevitably subjective, but the alternative is anarchy. Ten years ago, the primary discussion site for farming in the UK was the UK business Agriculture usenet group (UKBA), usenet is completely unregulated, and UKBA eventually descended into flame wars and trolling, with posters being harassed and threatened in real life by animal rights nut jobs.

    As Skoda alludes to, Clive has operated an open door policy to all the trolls who've been banned from here for good reason, some of them harassed people in real life to the point of threats of legal action being made, how do you think that one will work out for him?
    Great post which sums it all up. If people are so bothered about how BFF is run then don't use it but I for one much prefer the reasoned debate and questions that make this such a great forum. Most of the posters who use both forums to post the same rubbish are just ensuring that they have been heard by everyone.
    If people don't like the replies that members like Panzer posts then maybe they should'nt keep starting such stupid, dull threads going over the same thing hoping for a different answer but then again some people just like to cause trouble for the sake of it as their own lives are so boring in reality. Funny how it always seems to be the same people.
    Use BFF to ask questions, give advice and make the most of it as it is here for your enjoyment and pleasure.

  11. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    41

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Blue was good enough to provide an alternative when things went tits up at FWi. For that alone we should all be grateful. I suggest people simply pick one forum and stick to it. All it needs is a little willpower....

  12. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Northants
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragline View Post
    Great post which sums it all up. If people are so bothered about how BFF is run then don't use it but I for one much prefer the reasoned debate and questions that make this such a great forum. Most of the posters who use both forums to post the same rubbish are just ensuring that they have been heard by everyone.
    If people don't like the replies that members like Panzer posts then maybe they should'nt keep starting such stupid, dull threads going over the same thing hoping for a different answer but then again some people just like to cause trouble for the sake of it as their own lives are so boring in reality. Funny how it always seems to be the same people.
    Use BFF to ask questions, give advice and make the most of it as it is here for your enjoyment and pleasure.
    Panzer is just trying to increase his post count; he's demonstrating the same slightly dim mentality that pits football fans against each other to the point that they will verbally abuse neighbours and friends just because they they wear a different colour shirt or live in another postcode. Unfortunately it also de-values some of the other posts he may make in many eyes but there we go, it certainly won't be encouraging many of the large number of non-posting members to contribute and that is the greatest pity as the more contributions that are made the wider the knowledge base will become.

    You are right though, these threads are repetitive but your last line is a nice one
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

  13. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,456

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post
    Just remeber you were banned from here.
    I think you have me confused with someone else.

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fordingbridge
    Posts
    122

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Got to agree with these two. Almost feel sorry to have to say so, which is rather odd.
    Thing is, people kept saying that there were many people wanting to join and couldn't, kept wanting to use apps like Tapatalk to access it conveniently from mobile devices, could see that the software was not being updated and that nothing was done to keep it fresh, but possibly didn't know that it was apparently not being backed up.

    All this just begged for someone more enthusiastic and on-the-ball to start a serious alternative and an alternative was up and running before this one stopped chasing its tail let alone communicate with its members as to what was going on.

    I don't 'blame' anyone. In fact I admire Clive's enterprise and enthusiasm. What I deplore is the sniping from members of both forums about it. And the major downside of the previous forum being split and divided. Also it feels like the hard work of the previous management id being belittled in certain quarters and it is not pleasant from my point of view and I'm sure that, being human [allegedly] they are sure to feel pissed-off to say the least.

    But, hey-ho, such is life.
    I'm one of 'em.... I've never met a forum before where you couldn't join within the space of minutes. Of course I used other fora, its the internet, theres billions of them. I did, however find the old BFF a mine of information, so its nice to be able to post now....

  15. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    S E Cornwall
    Posts
    45

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by nick... View Post
    i really enjoyed the old bff and missed it when it disapeared.ive re registered on here and also on clives site and spend more time on there.i dont suppose the two websites will ever join up,much as i and many would like to see.biggest problem with 2 sites is it takes twice as long to trawl through both of em
    nick.........
    Yet another lurker from the old BFF. Have read BFF from the DFOB debacle and really enjoyed a lot of the postings. Thought that I would finally join and applied in Feb '12, received e mail on 11 Feb '12 to say I was in moderation queue and did not hear any more. E mailed on 10 July '12 to ask how moderation was going and did not receive a reply. Have still not seen any explanation as to why so many potential members were unable to get through moderation. I have joined both forums since the fall of the old BFF but have found the bitching about both forums annoying to say the least.
    ps found out about the other forum from F4F, when the old BFF was down, when some bitchy comments were posted about it there.

  16. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    37

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Yawn, yawn, yawn! Enough already said, shhhhhhhhhh.

  17. #47
    Senior Member Cowabunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ceredigion, West Wales
    Posts
    1,221

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHants View Post
    I'm one of 'em.... I've never met a forum before where you couldn't join within the space of minutes. Of course I used other fora, its the internet, theres billions of them. I did, however find the old BFF a mine of information, so its nice to be able to post now....
    Even if the management couldn't see it or didn't want to, it was an accident waiting to happen. You are one of probably hundreds that were in that situation. Most didn't persevere and why should they?

    No doubt you had never seen one of my few posts until today but I was a member and regular lurker and occasional poster too. From the moderation point of view I am on record for defending the job done, but as far as the management of the actual forum entity, as opposed to content of posts and posters went, it was obviously rather neglected. There are several new features here now and a desperately needed overhaul of membership issues, but there still needs to be things done in comparison to other places, such as the provision of a Tapatalk app or, since there is a mobile edition, a shortcut that looks like an app for mobile devices that opens the browser to the mobile site.

    Also needs to have regular fresh ideas incorporated and software kept up to date and backed up. We still don't know whether it is actually being backed up as other sites are.

    Who is to do this? None of my business who or whether really. The forum is, as you say, one of very many and must be a labour of love and a challenge for someone. When it becomes a chore and is left to stagnate it is time to move on.

    But onwards and upwards with the current forum eh!
    The Duck 2015

  18. #48
    Member Danube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    82

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Super now I have 3 forums to browse and use. This forum has always been fair, and the help from Blue a few years ago on backing up my posts was much appreciated. Since then I have backed up all threads I have posted on. The singular issue was a moderator of DD. And the help of Blue and FF was proffesionaly delivered. Glad BFF is back on line.

    Like weekly or monthly magazines all seem to offer a different take on things. I would not subscribe to animal farmer, but would subsribe to arable farmer. ( Which I note is now on line as a reincarnation.)

    Please though would someone change the colour of here or TFF to avoid confusion. The green forum helps one know where one is. And please put a spell check. Not surely so difficult in this techno age. Most forums have them.
    Danube/Elmsted 2013

  19. #49
    Dave Applesquasher
    Guest

    Re: 2 forums again.

    As an iPhone user the Tapatalk issue has gone now, the forum defaults to the mobile version for me. Even if it doesn't, I know how to change it. (bottom left of the page for those that don't)
    Knowing how to use it is a "using the internet" issue rather than a site issue IMO, and there is a post somewhere on here telling people how to change it.

    As for spell-checking depends which browser you use. I use Chrome and that function comes with it. I believe it does with Firefox too but I have never used that browser.
    If for some bizarre reason you are using Internet Explorer you can install a spellchecker. A "ABC" icon shows top right of the reply box. Click on that to go to iespell.com. I have used that in the past and it is a good tool.

    Other than that I agree entirely

  20. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ceredigion
    Posts
    317

    Re: 2 forums again.

    I didn't realise how much I missed off topic on board, it keeps the farming page clean and gives the opertunity to talk about farming things that are a bit sidewalk, like I was trying to find some old farming mates from Checkley

  21. #51

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Times change people change things change.

    The old forum wouldn't last for ever. There are now two, only time will tell. I wouldn't be surprised that with time one becomes way more popular and more used leaving one to drift off. Survival of the fittest. I don't use either as much as I used the old one.

    I do think this forum is suffering due to perceived attitude of the old forum ie not letting. People join the non free email rule made it un welcoming a rule which really seemed over the top. Use a fair few forums for different things all others I could the a hotmail address

    competition is good the end user should get a better product and not treated with contempt or taken for granted

  22. #52
    Member Danube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    82

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    As an iPhone user the Tapatalk issue has gone now, the forum defaults to the mobile version for me. Even if it doesn't, I know how to change it. (bottom left of the page for those that don't)
    Knowing how to use it is a "using the internet" issue rather than a site issue IMO, and there is a post somewhere on here telling people how to change it.

    As for spell-checking depends which browser you use. I use Chrome and that function comes with it. I believe it does with Firefox too but I have never used that browser.
    If for some bizarre reason you are using Internet Explorer you can install a spellchecker. A "ABC" icon shows top right of the reply box. Click on that to go to iespell.com. I have used that in the past and it is a good tool.

    Other than that I agree entirely
    Have tried both Firefox and google chrome. Want nowt to do with them Do like Mr Gates stuff, not any other. Thanks have now found the ABC.

    Bit like can't imagine not having a Nokia phone.
    Danube/Elmsted 2013

  23. #53
    Dave Applesquasher
    Guest

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    Have tried both Firefox and google chrome. Want nowt to do with them Do like Mr Gates stuff, not any other. Thanks have now found the ABC.

    Bit like can't imagine not having a Nokia phone.
    Nor could I until I bought an iPhone.

    Each to their own, and as there is so much choice out there we can all choose which we like best.
    Which brings us neatly back to the thread topic.

  24. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ceredigion
    Posts
    317

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    Nor could I until I bought an iPhone.

    Each to their own, and as there is so much choice out there we can all choose which we like best.
    Which brings us neatly back to the thread topic.
    I bought an inverter yesterday, 12 volt battery on my back and it keeps my Ihpone happy and what made this forum great was the off topic crap

  25. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,119

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Webster View Post
    Just to comment that it isn't compulsory to sign up for any forum. There's millions of them out there. Just sign up for the ones you want

    Jim Webster
    Some just don't get it Jim.

  26. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Staffs
    Posts
    606

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    I didn't realise how much I missed off topic on board, it keeps the farming page clean and gives the opertunity to talk about farming things that are a bit sidewalk, like I was trying to find some old farming mates from Checkley
    Off topic has been available on the link below since it was taken off BFF - I seem to remember you telling me, Derrick, that you didn't like having to click on and join up to two different forums - glad you seem to have got the hang of it now

    Best regards,
    Joyce

  27. #57
    Dave Applesquasher
    Guest

    Re: 2 forums again.

    OOh Joyce!! You devil.


  28. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ceredigion
    Posts
    317

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Ok the argumentative ones that was banned from here are over there, it's quite nice to have a good argument, nothing worse than someone agreeing with you all the time

  29. #59
    Senior Member matthew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cornwall, SW
    Posts
    647

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    OOh Joyce!! You devil.

    + 1
    We can all park up our broomsticks on FD

  30. #60
    Member stockslave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    53

    Re: 2 forums again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    OOh Joyce!! You devil.

    +2 Well said Joyce, thought that was my job

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •