Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rhi

lamplighter2

rhi

after reading on here about biomass boilers had the material turn up from farm 2000. still waiting for dragon to contact me poor show. but in there stuff was a leaflet about feed in tariffs for using a biomass system has anyone doing it and how easy is it to do. went on website but a minefield to trawl. looks like you get 7p per klwt per unit you make or burn. so makes it more worthwhile doing. be interested in any BFF,s views on it

Bromb

Re: rhi

We are about to have one installed and i have asked our installer/supplier about this. You have to have a specific approved meter apparently and submit the readings to get Rhi

lamplighter2

out of interest what biomass boiler are you getting. is it the dragon or farm 2000 or a different make. and is there a lot more than just the boiler to think about. i know you need a header tank and a accumulator. but is there more when you start to look into it in more depth. it looks good on paper but will it work out any cheaper than using lpg.

muppetdodger

Pipework to the buildings is the major cost people don't think about. I gather also that it is a very drawn out process to get approval and then to get the money.

Article in two weeks ago farmers weekly about our neighbours who have a big system. Worth a read.

Exfarmer

Can you still get credits if the buildings insulation is not up to top spec
    This has killed many of the solar panel schemes on roofs etc

chippy

Im still waiting for dragon heat and farm 2000 to come see me from a year ago so im going to look at a DNRG boiler near me this weekend. I have been looking at woodchip boilers but your limited to chip, at least with DNRG's I can burn anything I want. Roughly 22k for the 120kw version with 5000 litre accumulator tank.

RGT

Have you got dragonheats e-mail-pm me if you want as got it?

Also got main mans with Kamstrup's heat meters if need also?

RHI- Long-Long Slog?

Bromb

We are getting a Gillies woodchip boiler from energy innovations and using our own wood (chipped by contractor) to fuel it. The boiler is only half the cost insulated pipework, groundworks and sundry plumbing and electrics need to be accounted for too. Still think it will pay for itself in about 10 years as we are heating three buildings.

Till Seeder

Quote Originally Posted by lamplighter2 View Post
    after reading on here about biomass boilers had the material turn up from farm 2000. still waiting for dragon to contact me poor show. but in there stuff was a leaflet about feed in tariffs for using a biomass system has anyone doing it and how easy is it to do. went on website but a minefield to trawl. looks like you get 7p per klwt per unit you make or burn. so makes it more worthwhile doing. be interested in any BFF,s views on it
    To get RHI you need to have a community heating system,rogerm will tell you more about this.

A registered biomass installer has to be used and ,as Exfarmer says,the roof insulation must be up to the latest spec before you can apply.

If like me you are just heating one property you do not qualify for RHI,but can qualify for RHP,which is just a one off payment of several 100 pounds.

We fitted our system just before they finalised the RHP ,only by a few months,the extra costs that are incured are not covered by the RHP.

You don't necessarily need an accumulator,they tried to sell me one but the chap who did most of my install,a friend and heating engineer,said didn't need one.

We light the boiler at the night filled with enough fuel so that it's still up to full heat but has used all the fuel when the heating system cuts the temperature back about 5 degrees to go through the night,the water is still hot enough the heat the house in the morning when the the thermostat goes back to the temp set for the day.

lamplighter2

have to say farm 2000 were on the ball emailed them one night phone call next day all the bumf the next day. pedron who i spoke to knew his stuff and was not trying to sell just gave me the facts and said come back if you are interested dragon still waiting for a reply to e mail. will look at dnrg see what they are like.
    have looked at woodchip but a hassle getting it chipped. can not get wood chip as all tree surgeons around here being paid by large recycling company to take woodchip to them. who sell it on the the generating stations,

Eurobale 1

Just finished our project using a farm 2000 and 20,000li accumalator tank its a complex system so is eligible for RHI .( two houses ,workshop,tackroom,office and canteen) Ofgem very helpfull with whole process.Overall not a cheap project but I am very pleased how well it works and my accreditation is pending. Happy to answer any questions(pm me). Cant guarantee quality of answer however.

RGT

Quote Originally Posted by Eurobale 1 View Post
    Just finished our project using a farm 2000 and 20,000li accumalator tank its a complex system so is eligible for RHI .( two houses ,workshop,tackroom,office and canteen) Ofgem very helpfull with whole process.Overall not a cheap project but I am very pleased how well it works and my accreditation is pending. Happy to answer any questions(pm me). Cant guarantee quality of answer however.

20,000LTR tank gor thats big?
    Who sizedthat 4 u?

RGT

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/...ayment-Phase-2

Link also to the domestic biomass 950 cheque back scheme

Eurobale 1

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    20,000LTR tank gor thats big?
    Who sizedthat 4 u?
    Farm 2000 said the bigger the better and said with my boiler size that would be a good size. Just looked at the accumulator temp this morning and still at 75 degrees and the last stoking was yesterday before lunch so all in all I think the size works well and when I have a burn its at full burn not going into idle as I can store the heat in one go.

rogerm

we have a 17000l tank for our Dragon D20

it's in place ready to be plumbed up but plumbers have been a problem, I think mainly due to a fear of the unknown ?

we are hopefully making progress with them now ?

as mentioned before it's a district heating system to 4 properties

RGT

Same here Rog- Can you send a photo or pm me please-was this a ''Dragon'' supplied accumalator tank?

rogerm

Same here Rog- Can you send a photo or pm me please-was this a ''Dragon'' supplied accumalator tank?
    tank was bought from a place in Southampton, advertised in FW, now awaiting quotes to spray it
    how thick should foam be anyone please ?

Till Seeder

Quote Originally Posted by rogerm View Post
    tank was bought from a place in Southampton, advertised in FW, now awaiting quotes to spray it
    According to Farm 2000 you should allow for a minimum of 100mm and stand the tank support frame on ply wood or something similar to prevent heat loss through the frame,by conduction.

Did you not get the information pack from Farm 2000.

The better the insulation,the less the heat loss,and the less stoking is needed.

Eurobale 1

Quote Originally Posted by rogerm View Post
    Our is 15cm thick and its amazing how good a job it does. We used a firm called Websters insulation came via google, they did a very good job and if you need it will pm price they charged.

Luffy

Just finishing installing 80kw Eco Angus boiler and 5000l Akvaterm store to heat farmhouse and two holiday cottages. Fired up last week (replacing 25 year old oil boiler) and the farmhouse has never been warmer, just the holiday lets to connect up next week and then the rhi application. Local plumber did the copper pipe work and had a few problems with the 54mm pipe connections but all OK now and is working well.

RGT

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
    Just finishing installing 80kw Eco Angus boiler and 5000l Akvaterm store to heat farmhouse and two holiday cottages. Fired up last week (replacing 25 year old oil boiler) and the farmhouse has never been warmer, just the holiday lets to connect up next week and then the rhi application. Local plumber did the copper pipe work and had a few problems with the 54mm pipe connections but all OK now and is working well.
    Nice setup there Luffy.
    Where did you get your expansion vessel is it a 500 ltr one?
    How do you feed the boiler-by hand is it?
    who is doing your rhi,heat loss calcs and meter placement reports ,if you want PM me please as trying ( very hard/and wearing) to get any one around here with any sence?

rogerm

thanks gents, I thought it was 6", but getting quotes the other day was told 1" & this was by someone who sprays tanks for someone who does Farm 2000 installations !

Luffy

Nice setup there Luffy.
    Where did you get your expansion vessel is it a 500 ltr one?
    How do you feed the boiler-by hand is it?
    who is doing your rhi,heat loss calcs and meter placement reports ,if you want PM me please as trying ( very hard/and wearing) to get any one around here with any sence?
    Expansion vessel is a 500ltr one,got it from Poland from kotly.com, very efficient, I sent the money on a Monday and took delivery on the Thursday and for about half the price I was quoted for in UK.

The boiler is a log boiler so have to load logs by hand but try to make it easy by logging and then splitting and loading into a metal stillage. My aim is to batch burn so the aim is to burn just one fill a day in the winter and maybe twice a week in summer for domestic hot water The logs are left to season in the stillage and can then be moved from storage to right beside boiler by telehandler. Had to buy a lot of stillages (70)

I am going to do the rhi application myself. I used a heat loss calculator that Ofgem provide, couldn't find it any where on their website so rang them up and they sent me an email with it attached.

Hoping to have heat meter report done next week.

RGT

I could have sent the heat cal. in excel if you needed it?
    Who is doing the IMR for you? (Independant meter report?)
    Lots of stories about with people just using the ofgem template,sticking their name on it and charge 1500 ?

J_B

Who is doing the IMR for you? (Independant meter report?)
    Lots of stories about with people just using the ofgem template,sticking their name on it and charge 1500 ?
    So, do you have to have an 'official' to do your report?

RGT

on the case ?

J_B

on the case ?
    Me?

The first farm I assisted with is all approved - my friend is now on his second project/RHI so we are looking to make the second application as easy as the first.

All suggestions gratefully received

RGT

Quote Originally Posted by J_B View Post
    Me?

The first farm I assisted with is all approved - my friend is now on his second project/RHI so we are looking to make the second application as easy as the first.

All suggestions gratefully received

you may have a good sideline there?

PM me if you'r qualified to do the IMR-thanks JB

J_B

you may have a good sideline there?

PM me if you'r qualified to do the IMR-thanks JB
    I have Maths, Chemistry, Physics, English & French 'O' levels as well as an NCA and an OND in agriculture. Oh and also a telescopic materials handler certificate.

Does that 'qualify' me?

RGT

Same as me then- its a NO ?