Thread: Yorkshire Boarding/Cladding

james.taylor

Yorkshire Boarding/Cladding

Just wondering what size of board do people use for Yorkshire boarding/cladding? And what size of gap

Normally use 4"x3/4" and leave a 3/4" gap

foxbox

Re: Yorkshire Boarding/Cladding

We only use vent air type metal cladding now, it's quicker to install, more weather proof, better ventilation rates and no flashing when the sun is shining through the cladding and you are inside the shed. That is no use answering your question I know but it may be worth looking at the other options too.

cooke101

I use 6"x1" with a 3" gap, this lets the maximum amount of air through whilst keeping the worst of the weather out. A 3/4" gap won't let much air through as it 'bottlenecks' the air and creates turbulence which further restricts air from coming in. I didn't go for the metal ventilation sheets simply because of cost. My neighbour has some on an old shed that are pretty useless now because they've filled up with dust, the design could have changed though?

Sussex Martin

I use 4x1 and leave a 2inch gap. Works very well, no cobwebbs to speak of.

skoda

Roof batons I am thing of using on one particular shed ,thinking of calling it Denbighshre boarding

Poorbuthappy

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Martin View Post
    I use 4x1 and leave a 2inch gap. Works very well, no cobwebbs to speak of.
    I think the weather challenge in NI may be a little different from Kent!
    I use 6" board and 3/4" gap, and on windward side that lets a fair bit of rain in. Suspect NI could be worse than here. Depends on your site I guess.
    I like the Highlight wall sheet, but wouldn't use it on an exposed side.

Mumbles

Quote Originally Posted by Poorbuthappy View Post
    I use 6" board and 3/4" gap, and on windward side that lets a fair bit of rain in. Suspect NI could be worse than here. Depends on your site I guess.
    Same here use 6" x 1" board with a 1/2" gap on the north western side and 3/4" on the other side.

wellingtonfarmer1

was told at a recent meeting that the gap should be half the size of the boarding. and its better to use 4" board with 2" gap rather than 6" with 3" gap

Poorbuthappy

On an exposed site I would rather use horizontally pivoting shutters for maximum weather protection and air flow where possible. Steel framed, sheeted 'doors' with a hinge point just above mid way on either side which are held in the stanchions. Not cheap option but you won't beat it for versatility - can open varying degrees to allow excellent air flow whilst still keeping out driving rain, and can be closed completely to keep snow out.

skoda

On an exposed site I would rather use horizontally pivoting shutters for maximum weather protection and air flow where possible. Steel framed, sheeted 'doors' with a hinge point just above mid way on either side which are held in the stanchions. Not cheap option but you won't beat it for versatility - can open varying degrees to allow excellent air flow whilst still keeping out driving rain, and can be closed completely to keep snow out.
    I have several of those ,which I made myself running right along the side of 3 sheds .They are open for most of the year ,only closed in severe winds and very cold sub freezing weather.

NeilO

I used that on the new shed, with Vent Air sheets on the S & W sides, which will catch most of the weather. Very impressed with the performance of the Vent-Air, no water came through when we had near horizontal rain a couple of weeks ago. Supposedly more air flow than YB as well. If you are paying shed erectors to put either up, there should be every little difference in the cost as fitting is quicker/easier with Vent Air sheets. I paid 300 extra for about 250 sq m of wall covered.

I have a query about Yorkshire Boarding in costal areas. I am actually an architect, looking to specify this cladding on a salt spray facility and thought it best to seek the advice of people who've actually used this cladding in a similar situation (moist salt laden air).

Does anybody have any experience of how well this system holds up and what the lifespan of the timber is likely to be?

Secondly can anyone recommend which species work best under these conditions, whether treatment (tanalising etc) is necessary and, if so, which treatment is best?

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ainslieinnes View Post
    I have a query about Yorkshire Boarding in costal areas. I am actually an architect, looking to specify this cladding on a salt spray facility and thought it best to seek the advice of people who've actually used this cladding in a similar situation (moist salt laden air).

Does anybody have any experience of how well this system holds up and what the lifespan of the timber is likely to be?

Secondly can anyone recommend which species work best under these conditions, whether treatment (tanalising etc) is necessary and, if so, which treatment is best?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ainslieinnes View Post

Definitely tantalising.Try and fix with galvanised nails or similar. We are 250 yards from the sea and there is still YB on concrete Crendon buildings from 1970. One inch by four boarding with inch gap. We used to use it for single suckers, it was a dream to walk around the cows with the wind howling from the North east winds. Well ventilated with open open top ridge but just gentle ir movement.
    I miss those cows!
    Jack Caley

Jack_Caley,

Thank you for you advice, it's been most helpful.