Thread: Fertilising to 36 meters

Fertilising to 36 meters

Thinking about spreading fertiliser at 36 meters, want to avoid the liquid route so can use two people and 2 machines at the same time.
    Has anyone had any experience at spreading to this distance, have you been happy with the spread pattern?

cotswoldcs

Re: Fertilising to 36 meters

Quote Originally Posted by 7740 View Post
    Thinking about spreading fertiliser at 36 meters, want to avoid the liquid route so can use two people and 2 machines at the same time.
    Has anyone had any experience at spreading to this distance, have you been happy with the spread pattern?
    If you have level fields and only spread in good weather conditions I can't see it being a problem provided you have the right machine. Where we are slopes and wind would make accuracy less than satisfactory (not that I have any experience of going that wide of course!).

If you're spraying at 36m then I guess you're a pretty big outfit. Can you not justify a second sprayer or even a trailed one used for liquid only? Surely that would extend the life of the SP and solve your labour issue. I bet at times you'd even be happy to have 2 people spraying - this year's been so difficult to find a good spray day.

I'm no expert and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon.

Oilseed

spread 18m spray 36m an option?

jfdi

Have been spreading 36 for a few years, aslong as the product is good is see no problem, depends on spreader also as some are gentler than others, put some interesting stuff through a krm @ 36m@ 18k no problem last week with a tray test first

Clive

liquid is the only way to consistently spread 36m

don't listen to anyone who says otherwise IMO

if you have ever looked closely at how bad 24m can be in anything but perfect conditions you wouldn't even consider it

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    liquid is the only way to consistently spread 36m

don't listen to anyone who says otherwise IMO

if you have ever looked closely at how bad 24m can be in anything but perfect conditions you wouldn't even consider it
    +1
    In perfect conditions fine
    But the rest of the time forget it

silverfox

You will only spread this distance on a very still day with a top qaulity product. You can go spraying more times than you can spread fert at this width. Been there and have come down to 30mtr because of the problems. Kuhn Axera Hydraulic drive machine.

ThatIrishGuy

Been doing it for last 4 years never had an issue...
    Don't be cheap crap fert only suitable for melting.
    Tray test when callibrating and of you go..
    Spreader is an amazone zam profis..

drumachie1

Hope 36 m going to work as sown all barley and rape at that !
    Tested on some tatties and seemed to work fine have seen some big messes with people using liquid any overlaps seem to go flat three neighbours use it and most fields have flat pieces

Ognob

biggish outfir near me went to 36m in 2005 - spread at 36m with Kuhn mounted for 2 seasons, then they bought a trailed Kongskilde 18m pneumatic - sums it up I guess

Krampeman

Quote Originally Posted by 7740 View Post
    No chance. We couldn't even spread Granular Urea to 24m this last spring through a new Kuhn 40.1 Axis.

Thanks for the views . Liquids not cheap , boomed machines are slower and also not cheap. If we could use a spinner it would be good.

dap68

Have been 36 here for 8 years or more. Have had no problems. Spread test every year, only use extran and good quality sulphur. Just pick your days as you can cover so much ground on the good days.

Brisel

30m tramlines here. I only use good quality product too & am very careful about stopping when the breeze picks up (>5mph). 1300 ha cropping with one Chafer 6000l sprayer and a mounted Amazon ZAM Maxtronic for solid with a full time fork lift driver & trailer for the distance to get around that area. 5 year budgeted life span before sprayer replacement having covered 65,000 ha. Amazon is 7 years old & still going strong.

One suggestion - would you split your main N dose into 2? One liquid N & one solid - at least you can get on with liquid if its windy then go spraying & spreading when its calm. Works for me.

Dual purpose sprayer not much more expensive or slower. 6000l tank delivering 100 kg/ha N using Nuram N37 = 270 litres/ha = 22ha per load. You won't get that with a mounted box spreader.

Liquid can be 10% more expensive - no need for a shed or a fork lift. Tanks are cheap in comparison to sheds where lack of indoor storage is an issue. Ok, so your booms rust out sooner & you need a bigger pump but you will get more use out of your sprayer. Portable tanks that drop into a grain trailer can act as bowsers. Worth considering IMHO.

I think that HBH Farming in Berks/Oxon use one full time fork lift which keeps 2 mounted spreader boxes going. They used to write in Farmers Weekly. It seemed to work out ok for them getting over 2400 ha.

I have 2 neighbours on 36m. One all solid & the other all liquid. Both are happy with their set up.

Musty

I'm thinking of spreading solids to 28m ,now on 24m
    I use 34.5 Lithan, Granular Urea, Sulphate of ammonia, Blended granular compounds and straights.
    All spread OK at 24m with Kuhn Xera M
    Do you think 28m is safe option when I change my sprayer, as regards spreading all these ferts.
    Thanks
    Cliff

tw15

Have always hatted blends as the density of granules of diferent products in the bag can be so diferent look at the problems with sulpur and nitrogen blends. In my mind 30mtrs is max for throwing fert acurately.

jamin

Few guys round is here spinning 32m with urea and no stripping. One guy throwing 36m and no stripping he is tray testing whenever they change product and one days when wind starts to blow to make sure he is still even spread. Only place guy on 36 said he struggles is round headlands but he is thinking of doing headlands with liquid and field with solid as a trial.

Musty

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    You will only spread this distance on a very still day with a top qaulity product. You can go spraying more times than you can spread fert at this width. Been there and have come down to 30mtr because of the problems. Kuhn Axera Hydraulic drive machine.
    How do you rate your Axera Hyd drive machine?
    Cliff

Hornet

Had issues in past spreading to 24m with inferior product now it's liquid every time for me, no worrying about spread pattern, can apply liquid fert in drizzle and rain, so available days nearly double for the sprayer (liquid fert when wet or dewy or bit breezy, spraying rest of the time), no locked fert store needed, carting fert simple (if fields are fairly local), plus no fert in hedges or ditches (cross compliance states no fert within 2m of a watercourse, what spinning disc fert manufacturer can guarantee that with an accurate spread pattern? impossible), depreciation lowered with 1 machine, but on flipside repairs will be a bit higher, but for me small beer compared with peace of mind of accurate spreading.

BlueSky

Kuhn no, Amazone yes.

Goldilocks

WE spread on 30m tramlines and have our own set of trays. The man running fert to the spreader will check pattern on a regular basis. In my opinion 30m is the max i would want to spread solid fert. ( we use high quality fert at all times ) Even with a double/double overlap bogballe we struggle on windy days.

knockie

Used to spread solid at 36m but as said before unless you use quality fert and only spread in ideal conditions its risky!
    Think at 36m better off with liquid.
    Starting this year we will be applying liquid at 10m... That will get you thinking
    SD.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by knockie View Post
    Used to spread solid at 36m but as said before unless you use quality fert and only spread in ideal conditions its risky!
    Think at 36m better off with liquid.
    Starting this year we will be applying liquid at 10m... That will get you thinking
    SD.
    cultan ?

knockie

Got it in one
    Cheers.