Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Straightening 63mm water pipe

  1. #1
    DrDunc
    Guest

    Straightening 63mm water pipe

    I've a coil of 63mm of blue water pipe to lay for water troughs in the new cattle shed.

    Does anyone know how to straighten out 20 foot lengths of the stuff?

  2. #2
    beeker
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    unroll it

  3. #3
    DrDunc
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by beeker View Post
    unroll it
    To elaborate; I've tried unrolling it, I've tried bending it straight like 25 mm stuff, and I then cut a 20' length (for one bay) and again tried bending it straight as this was easier to lift.

    And still the blo*dy stuff retains the curve of the coil.

    But thank you for the suggestion.

  4. #4
    foxbox
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    We've got some to lay when it dries up and we unrolled the entire roll down a field a few months ago. It has had time to relax now and likes being straight but not sure how we could have done it quicker or with shorter lengths. I'm guessing it needs a really narrow trench then wedge it in so the ends are straight to join to, either that or heat it very gently whilst you teach it to be straight again

  5. #5
    Northdowns Farmer
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    My guess would be to force a metal rod down it and hope it slowly straightens, would help if it could be indoors, only 6m so shouldn't be difficult.

  6. #6
    RGSP
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    It will have been extruded straight, so it will go back to straight with persuasion, warmth and time. I think I'd try and strap a 20' length to a bit of straight timber, and then just leave it for a few weeks, preferably somewhere it'll get a bit of warmth.

  7. #7
    Nearly
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Stop end one end, tap other, fill with warm / hot water through tap, close tap. lay pipe straight on floor.
    Just like the Meerkats say!

  8. #8
    darrenjlobb
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Lean the roll against a hedge (out field), undo the straps, tape a bit of rope (make sure rope is longish) to the end, drive across the field, make sure second man stops it from falling over, once all unrolled, continue to drive around and around the field, the pipe will spin round and round (hence needing long rope to take up the spins) and will straighten itself perfectly

    Usefull little trick I learnt from a digger driver! Works everytime

  9. #9
    Mr Muck
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Could try threading a rope though it if just 20ft, pull it straight, then take a hot air gun to it to warm pipe. Failing that just get someone to hold it in place as you backfill?

  10. #10
    Fergieman
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by darrenjlobb View Post
    Lean the roll against a hedge (out field), undo the straps, tape a bit of rope (make sure rope is longish) to the end, drive across the field, make sure second man stops it from falling over, once all unrolled, continue to drive around and around the field, the pipe will spin round and round (hence needing long rope to take up the spins) and will straighten itself perfectly

    Usefull little trick I learnt from a digger driver! Works everytime

    I learnt this from a digger driver also, but he cut a little hole or 'v' out each end of the pipe and tied the rope in place rather than using tape. Tied one end to something solid and one end to the pickup and drive until it is taught and straight, stand back as the rope can sometimes snap!

  11. #11
    cozzie
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by darrenjlobb View Post
    Lean the roll against a hedge (out field), undo the straps, tape a bit of rope (make sure rope is longish) to the end, drive across the field, make sure second man stops it from falling over, once all unrolled, continue to drive around and around the field, the pipe will spin round and round (hence needing long rope to take up the spins) and will straighten itself perfectly

    Usefull little trick I learnt from a digger driver! Works everytime
    yip this is how its done.

  12. #12
    darrenjlobb
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergieman View Post
    I learnt this from a digger driver also, but he cut a little hole or 'v' out each end of the pipe and tied the rope in place rather than using tape. Tied one end to something solid and one end to the pickup and drive until it is taught and straight, stand back as the rope can sometimes snap!
    Ah, that would work to, I guess anything will work just provided you allow the pipe to spin as it stretchs out to remove all the bends in it, can remove alot of frustration trying to keep pair of pipes in a trench though!

  13. #13
    DrDunc
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Pipe dragged around field this afternoon, then easily laid in the trench.

    Thank you farming forum members once again for so quickly solving a seemingly impossible problem.

    Dunc

  14. #14
    Fergieman
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    What kind of system are you putting in there? The shed looks to be on a slope.

  15. #15
    DrDunc
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    I tenant a 1600 acre hill farm, and the only thing on it that is level is this shed!

    Water trough per bay, all connected underneath by the 63mm pipe. Only one ball crock to thaw.

    Concrete scrape passage being poured on Wednesday. I'll be able to divide up shed into 20' bay pens if desired. Cattle will be able to be shut back for scraping, or forward for mucking out, without mixing them.

    Won't have to face the misery of out wintering any of my herd again

  16. #16
    Bobthebuilder
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    may i ask why you need such big pipe for water trough

  17. #17
    Pryderi
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    may i ask why you need such big pipe for water trough
    Low pressure, high volume. All troughs fed from one trough with one ball valve.

  18. #18
    foxbox
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    may i ask why you need such big pipe for water trough
    He is using one "master trough" for want of a better expression which has the ball cock in, the others are all connected via the 63mm pipe through the bottoms to the first one. They are all on the same level allowing gravity to keep them all full, in effect they are one trough. If the pipe was too small when animals drank from one of the others it would take a long time to refill the trough as the master trough ball valve would be slow to respond (due to small volume of water able to move) and take a long time to equalise. With only one ball valve to fill with he wants the system to respond as quickly as possible, hence the big pipe.

  19. #19
    foxbox
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by Pryderi View Post
    Low pressure, high volume. All troughs fed from one trough with one ball valve.
    Damn the beer, that is quite a bit more concise than my waffle :cry:

  20. #20
    hilly bill
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Put your presure washer on hot setting and fire hot water down the pipe to make it more workable ??? just a idea i havent tried it or anything.

  21. #21
    Pryderi
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Damn the beer, that is quite a bit more concise than my waffle :cry:
    Beer? Mmmmmmmm

  22. #22
    J_B
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    may i ask why you need such big pipe for water trough
    May I ask why you need it to be straight?

    Surely, it will be secured somehow and will therefore remain where you put it.


  23. #23
    Bobthebuilder
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    still think 63mm is over the top when all troughs are full to the level, it wont take too long to fill from "header" tank with 25/32mm and much easyer to work on with

  24. #24
    foxbox
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    still think 63mm is over the top when all troughs are full to the level, it wont take too long to fill from "header" tank with 25/32mm and much easyer to work on with
    Maybe, some people use a 4 inch sewer type pipe as the main between troughs though so in some respects he is on a smaller scale than some. I guess the big risk like this is one trough being emptied quickly and drawing water back from the other troughs, bringing rubbish into the supply pipe as it does so. The risk of potential blockages will be higher in the smaller diameter pipe.

  25. #25
    darkness
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    How many cattle will the shed hold or how many per drinker?

  26. #26
    DrDunc
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Plan is each bay will house a dozen sucklers. I'm on a private low pressure water supply, so hopefully the storage capacity in the troughs will compensate (35 gallon trough each bay). It's far far better than my other sheds whatever the flow rate.

    I am worried about straw from my blower bedder and sh1te getting into the pipe. I'm going to fix water pump suction strainers to each trough outlet, and the bottom end trough will have an outlet tap into the scrape passage to drain and clean the system. Fingers crossed!!!

  27. #27
    NeilO
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDunc View Post
    Plan is each bay will house a dozen sucklers. I'm on a private low pressure water supply, so hopefully the storage capacity in the troughs will compensate (35 gallon trough each bay). It's far far better than my other sheds whatever the flow rate.

    I am worried about straw from my blower bedder and sh1te getting into the pipe. I'm going to fix water pump suction strainers to each trough outlet, and the bottom end trough will have an outlet tap into the scrape passage to drain and clean the system. Fingers crossed!!!
    True. All the cr*p that normally settles in the bottom of the trough, will settle in the connecting pipe (the lowest point) first. If it's too small, it will block. We used a 4" soil pipe, which I emptied once a fortnight/month/when I got round to it. Always plenty of rubbish in the first water out of the pipe.

  28. #28
    Fergieman
    Guest

    Re: Straightening 63mm water pipe

    We have fitted this system with 63mm pipe and because there is no pressure you need a bigger pipe. 25 or 32mm would be no good what so ever.
    The outlets on our turn over troughs are half way up so much less chance of any crap getting sucked into the pipe system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •